The Tundra / I mean Dodge / No Tundra ???

Guest Sixcav

I don't know who Toyota thinks they're kidding... but I highly doubt their trucks could handle those situations that the background collage implies for as long as any Ford or even Dodge or GM product could.

Furthermore, it's truly amazing Toyota doesn't get blasted for making derivitive looking products. I mean we've got this thing. I saw an 07 Camry the other day and as it was approaching I could have sworn it was a Mazda6. The 06 Redesign of the Sienna... again... total Mazda ripoff.

Now I'm not saying other automakers aren't guilty of doing the same thing, but Toyota doesn't really seem to have any sort of originality to their designs. They seem to take what looks good that other makers do, and water it down into their designs. Now I'm not saying that don't choose good designs to mimic... but they are pretty damn obvious about it IMO.

If you look at the interior in the adds it looks a lot like my 04 fx-4 very similar because it is a great interior and I won't be surprised if toyo sells a bunch of these trucks probably will be well put together and is going to have a real power advantage withthe 5.7 DOHC engine, time will tell :shrug:

Will Toyota sell 200k of those trucks in a year?

The correct answer is yes.

They will sell 200k+ !

Everything they touch turns to gold. The press will call the styling magnificant and the projected reliability will be greater than that of Ford, GM or Dodge.

The real question is: At who's expense will the 200k goal be met? Looks like they are really going after the Dodge guys...

Edited by Kev-Mo

I don't know who Toyota thinks they're kidding... but I highly doubt their trucks could handle those situations that the background collage implies for as long as any Ford or even Dodge or GM product could.

Furthermore, it's truly amazing Toyota doesn't get blasted for making derivitive looking products. I mean we've got this thing. I saw an 07 Camry the other day and as it was approaching I could have sworn it was a Mazda6. The 06 Redesign of the Sienna... again... total Mazda ripoff.

Now I'm not saying other automakers aren't guilty of doing the same thing, but Toyota doesn't really seem to have any sort of originality to their designs. They seem to take what looks good that other makers do, and water it down into their designs. Now I'm not saying that don't choose good designs to mimic... but they are pretty damn obvious about it IMO.

if they ripped off any more than they did, they'd be a CHinese automaker

Guest Sixcav

Can you imagine the slaughter that Ford would get in the Media if they released a Focus that looked like a knock off of the Corolla or the Civic? Yet when Toyota built the original design for the Tundra the media bascially said "Oh yeah, it kinda looks like the F150. Cool." I wonder what they'll say now? Why does Toyota get a pass for riding in on the coat tails of the Amercian trucks? Can't they be innovative enough to come up with their own design? They copy our shit and then all the little Toyota zombies will drool over it and say bold and innovative it is. On the other hand, this effort to copy the Dodge has resulted in a pretty ugly truck.

If they were trying to emulate the Ram, they failed miserably. Where the Ram has nice curves and a muscular appearance, the Toyota looks blobby and flabby, lacking any real appeal. Nissan's truck is better looking than the Toyota Blundra.

That said, though I do not hide my dislike for the new Ram front end. I think the 02-05 Ram was the best-looking half-ton truck in a long time but with the current styling trends at Dodge, that is slipping.

Will Toyota sell 200k of those trucks in a year?

The correct answer is yes.

Hmm Toyota has been playing in the full size market for 10-15 years now and only sells 127,421 Tundras a year.

They might be able to get 80k more units a year to top out to 200K, but they aren't going to do that over night.

Truck and car buyers are two different animals and people are far more loyal to their trucks then they are to their cars, since most of them use them for work, which they depend on for their livelihood. Are you going to trust a unknown quaintly, if your Ford/GM/Dodge truck has been good for you for the past 10-15 years you been buying them?

Hmm Toyota has been playing in the full size market for 10-15 years now and only sells 127,421 Tundras a year.

They might be able to get 80k more units a year to top out to 200K, but they aren't going to do that over night.

Truck and car buyers are two different animals and people are far more loyal to their trucks then they are to their cars, since most of them use them for work, which they depend on for their livelihood. Are you going to trust a unknown quaintly, if your Ford/GM/Dodge truck has been good for you for the past 10-15 years you been buying them?

its quite possible they could have 80K overnight now that they addresses the biggest obstacle to sales: a bigger truck with a bigger engine.

Now when Nissan decides to make the Titan less ugly, it too will be a contender.