X-Plan Questions

Hello everyone

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, please move it if necessary.

I work for a company that has a Ford X-Plan pin. I went to Tyler Ford in Tyler, TX hoping to be able to pre-order a 2011 Mustang GT a few days ago (I'm assuming we would be able to do this after the Jan 15th JOB1 date). The sales guy told me that you couldent order until April. Furthermore, he told me that you could not order a vehicle using X-Plan, and that it had to be on the dealer lot to use X-Plan. Is this true?

Second, Is the current X-Plan formula DealerInvoice - 4% of DealerInvoice +$275?

Thanks

Hello everyone

I work for a company that has a Ford X-Plan pin. I went to Tyler Ford in Tyler, TX hoping to be able to pre-order a 2011 Mustang GT a few days ago (I'm assuming we would be able to do this after the Jan 15th JOB1 date). The sales guy told me that you couldent order until April. Furthermore, he told me that you could not order a vehicle using X-Plan, and that it had to be on the dealer lot to use X-Plan. Is this true?

Second, Is the current X-Plan formula DealerInvoice - 4% of DealerInvoice +$275?

Thanks

The 2011 Mustang can be ordered now. I know of one that was ordered already. I'd go to a different dealer if I was you.

Hello everyone

Thanks

X-Plan can be used on any vehicle - ordered or on the lot. What he may have meant is that the X-Plan PIN can only be used at the time of purchase, not when ordering. You will use it when the ordered vehicle arrives and you go to pick it up. Dealers usually like to know ahead of time that you have a PIN, but technically you don't need one until the day of delivery.

Hello everyone

Thanks

You don't actually USE the xplan pin until you take delivery. You don't even need one to order the car. You agree on the price (x plan - not negotiable), they order the vehicle and you provide the PIN when you take delivery. Talk to the sales mgr - the sales droid was probably new and just didn't understand the rules.

Second - the x plan formula is [actual dealer invoice] minus 0.4% (not 4% - big difference) + $275. Actual dealer invoice includes FDAF which is not shown on edmunds or kbb dealer invoice pricing. It's usually a few hundred bucks.

The X plan price is printed on the factory invoice so there's no guessing. You pay what's on the invoice.

X plan makes no difference if it's on or off the lot. When I was shopping I was in between ordering a Flex and a local SHO. The dealer that was going to order the Flex didn't care. The dealer where I got the SHO just applied it.

For me, the deal was a hair under the invoice (I did see the actual invoice) price. Very good experience all around.

However, the 2011 Mustang may be on the "no X-plan list" and whether or not a dealer takes XPlan is up to them. A few laughed when I suggested SHO at Xplan but in the end the place where I bought my Explorer in 2000 said yes. Pays to shop around.

X plan makes no difference if it's on or off the lot. When I was shopping I was in between ordering a Flex and a local SHO. The dealer that was going to order the Flex didn't care. The dealer where I got the SHO just applied it.

For me, the deal was a hair under the invoice (I did see the actual invoice) price. Very good experience all around.

However, the 2011 Mustang may be on the "no X-plan list" and whether or not a dealer takes XPlan is up to them. A few laughed when I suggested SHO at Xplan but in the end the place where I bought my Explorer in 2000 said yes. Pays to shop around.

I doubt the regular mustang models will be on the no x plan list, but you are correct that it's up to the dealer whether they want to accept it on any vehicle.

There have been cases where dealers would honor X plan only on a special order - when their in-stock vehicles were in high demand/low supply and allocation wasn't an issue. This was especially true for the Fusion hybrid where pre-sold orders did not count against a dealer's stock allocation.

That's pretty surprising. I never thought a dealer would let a SHO go at x-plan. Was the dealer that sold it at x-plan a "volume dealer" or a small town shop? Also good to know there are places that would do a deal like that.

Just be careful if you have a trade-in. I have actually had dealers tell me they could only give me wholesale value for my trade-in because I was buying the new vehicle using X-plan. My personal opinion is that the privilege of using any of Ford's special purchasing plans should be an added benefit earned through your employer's relationship with Ford and should have absolutely no bearing on the value of your trade-in. Otherwise, what's the point? :shrug:

Just be careful if you have a trade-in. I have actually had dealers tell me they could only give me wholesale value for my trade-in because I was buying the new vehicle using X-plan. My personal opinion is that the privilege of using any of Ford's special purchasing plans should be an added benefit earned through your employer's relationship with Ford and should have absolutely no bearing on the value of your trade-in. Otherwise, what's the point? :shrug:

Ford is providing the PIN but the sale is still with the dealer and so is the profit - or lack thereof.

When you trade in a vehicle - you always get wholesale value because the dealer can just as easily buy used vehicles at auction to sell on their lot, so why would they pay more for yours unless it's rare or they're using the profit from the new car sale to subsidize it?

You could expect the same treatment if you were paying close to invoice without x plan. TANSTAAFL.

Ford is providing the PIN but the sale is still with the dealer and so is the profit - or lack thereof.

When you trade in a vehicle - you always get wholesale value because the dealer can just as easily buy used vehicles at auction to sell on their lot, so why would they pay more for yours unless it's rare or they're using the profit from the new car sale to subsidize it?

You could expect the same treatment if you were paying close to invoice without x plan. TANSTAAFL.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. Based on your logic a buyer might as well make his best deal which could be BETTER than X-plan and completely forget about any employee incentive plans period. He's going to get wholesale for his trade regardless according to you. Again, what's the point?

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. Based on your logic a buyer might as well make his best deal which could be BETTER than X-plan and completely forget about any employee incentive plans period. He's going to get wholesale for his trade regardless according to you. Again, what's the point?

If a trade is involved, the only number you need to worry about is the difference figure. X plan can only help, never hurt. It may just not help that much.

I am going to buy a 2010 edge se and qualify for the x plan threw my fiance's dad who works for ford. I was told by the dealer that because we were getting married that it would be a good idea to just put her name on the title of the car with mine and that would allow me to qualify for the a-plan instead of the x-plan. Is there any truth to that

I am going to buy a 2010 edge se and qualify for the x plan threw my fiance's dad who works for ford. I was told by the dealer that because we were getting married that it would be a good idea to just put her name on the title of the car with mine and that would allow me to qualify for the a-plan instead of the x-plan. Is there any truth to that

Yes, A Plan is a much better deal than X Plan.

That's pretty surprising. I never thought a dealer would let a SHO go at x-plan. Was the dealer that sold it at x-plan a "volume dealer" or a small town shop? Also good to know there are places that would do a deal like that.

It is a small town shop. I bought my Explorer there in 2000 so there was some history but the second question I asked of the salesguy when we saw the SHO was "The most important question is will you guys do Xplan on this car?" No need to waste everyone's time...

I think they had this car on the lot for about a month or so before I bought it the week before Christmas.

I don't see why they wouldn't do Xplan on a SHO. Ford has not supply constrained them like the Mustang Cobras or other limited edition cars. If you want one, they will build it. I don't buy the "exclusivity" thing either....

In my experience this is the case. In the beginning of my car search, I went to a couple dealers both in and out of market (before I had X-plan). When I traded my car in (04 Infinit G35 sedan, 100% loaded and 94k) everyone spoke wholesale value. Nobody would budge. And the prices were all within $1000 of each other. One offered $8k, one went to $7500 after much work and one was at $7k. This was over the span of December 09. When I settled on the SHO with Xplan they offered $7000. At the low end but I was tired and had a hungry wife. Wasn't worth it and it was the end of the month and within the range so I took it. I know my car was headed right to the auction.

Point is every dealer started at wholesale. Maybe because the car I had was closing in on 100k and I was talking invoice prices for the new car. But it makes sense. For them a used car is a gamble. Why pay you over what they can go to the auction and get a car for? It makes no business sense. I could have a supply of Car X at $10000 from the auction and even with my costs, say $12000 total. Why would I pay you $13000 for your car when I can buy them all day for $12k?

Best thing to do is sell it yourself. Unfortunately I waited and didn't have the time. But I got a great deal and love my new car. And that's all that counts!

Ford

I recently ordered an SHO and had an X-Plan PIN due to being a long time Ford stockholder. On this purchase I will pay the X-Plan price, a price not likely to be otained on an SHO at this point.

Also, a BIG advantage is that the $275 admin fee is INCLUDED in the X-plan invoice price. All the area dealers are adding $699 - $899 for the admin fee - and because it is standard practice, by state law they "have to" charge it to everyone not an A/X/Z plan sale. Additionally, the maximum they can charge for "doc fee" on an X-Plan sale is $75. Anything that comes into their heads is the fee they charge otherwise.

Additionally, they charge about $300 for title/tag service. On an X-plan sale they can only charge what the state charges ($about $59 here). So, here in Florida at least, even if the agreed upon sale price is exactly the same as X-plan invoice, it can be up to $1000 less in BS fees & packs to purchase using an X-Plan PIN.

I always order my Fords X plan. My dealership will do that for X plan eligible cars with a deposit.

You never get more for a trade in than they can buy one for at the auction, no matter how they jiggle the numbers around. They would soon go broke overpaying for used cars. I guess you can over pay for a new car, so they can over pay you for your used car....show the numbers that way.........duh.

Your dealership may not be willing to sell you at X plan a 2011 V8 for a while. I don't blame him. But he will later in the year when demand cools a tad. When your X plan sale is an incremental sale, not taking away from a full price sale.

Edited by Ralph Greene

You never get more for a trade in than they can buy one for at the auction, no matter how they jiggle the numbers around. They would soon go broke overpaying for used cars. I guess you can over pay for a new car, so they can over pay you for your used car....show the numbers that way.........duh.

That's what I was trying to explain. Some, if not most, trade-ins go straight to the auction so there is no way they're giving you more than they can get at auction. If it's a car they think they can sell easily for a nice markup they might give you a little more than normal auction prices, but that's rare.

Every car dealer buys used cars at auction. If you're the used car manager and you can buy a 06 Fusion at auction for $14K, why would you give some yahoo $16K on a trade-in?

Anything you get above wholesale comes out of the new car profit. Period.

The dealer actually gets a several hundred dollar spiff check from Ford for a x plan sale, so the dealer has more incentive to accept X plan than to just sell it to you for the same price without a pin. Any dealer that offers you "the x plan price without having to get a PIN" is making up for that spiff check somewhere - hidden fees, rebates, add-ons, doc fees, etc.

There is a legitimate reason to get more from one dealer than another - it's up to the dealer to estimate the wholesale price and some may estimate it higher than others.

The point is if wholesale on your trade-in is $7k and the dealer is offering $10k you can get they're making up the $3K somewhere. TANSTAAFL.

Will they allow me to get the a-plan with her name on the title

Her name will have to be on the title if she wants to use her father's A Plan PIN. Her father is able to generate 4 PIN's per year for himself or eligible immediate family members. "Immediate family" means the following relatives of the employee or retiree:

Spouse

Parents

Spouse's parents

Grandparents

Spouse's grandparents

Sons and daughters (including in-laws and step-children)

Grandchildren

Brothers and sisters (including in-laws, half and step)

Same-sex domestic partners of eligible active employees

Immediate family members of eligible same-sex domestic partners

• 1 month later...