US says Toyota owners of all recalled cars should STOP! driving their cars

Ford Jellymoulds

Bloomberg News

Breaking news, Bloomberg just reported that the US have issued a safety advisory that all owners of recalled Toyota vehicles should STOP driving using their cars until their accelerator problem has been fixed by Toyota.

Toyota shares have been downgraded from buy to neutral, as their share price continues to plunge out of control.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Bloomberg News

Breaking news, Bloomberg just reported that the US have issued a safety advisory that all owners of recalled Toyota vehicles should stop driving their cars.

Link?

Edit: Never mind, found it:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aUge43bbsfBw&pos=1

Holy Fawk.

Edited by OAC_Sparky

I've been wondering when a "stop driving" order was going to be given. I still see these vehicles all over the roads and admittedly get a little more concerned when one of them is behind me. If I owned one, I'd sure be driving my other car until it was fixed.

:sos:

:sos:

:fan:

How many people are actually going to do it?

Unfortunately, probably not many. As I alluded to above, most people don't have the choice of driving their other car.

Edited by NickF1011

Another thing:

It's not a sure bet, but it's close to a sure bet that, sooner or later, a story like this will break about Hyundai/Kia.

Toyota is handling this as poorly as they are because they have no corporate intelligence regarding the US government/US media, except as they've been able to stroke and massage them over the past few decades.

When you consider what a botch Ford made of the Explorer & cruise control fiascoes, with people working for the company that were there during and in the aftermath of the Pinto affair, Toyota's failure here is no surprise.

These companies, at their highest levels, are not accustomed to this kind of scrutiny--as they have not gotten it stateside before, and they certainly don't get it in their home markets.

Why I think Hyundai/KIA is ripe for this: Their CEO had his jail sentence for embezzlement suspended because he was 'too valuable' to the Korean economy.

If a Hyundai/KIA scandal hits, it will not surprise me at all. I have some very severe doubts about the ethics of that company at its highest levels...

And they certainly have gotten a free pass in Korea.....

Edited by RichardJensen

When you consider what a botch Ford made of the Explorer & cruise control fiascoes, with people working for the company that were there during and in the aftermath of the Pinto affair, Toyota's failure here is no surprise.

Actually, I think Ford learned a lot from the Explorer recall when it came to addressing the cruise control problem. Were there huge recalls? Yes. But there wasn't nearly the type of media outcry as there was during the Firestone issue or this Toyota recall. I think Ford did a pretty good job of keeping the cruise control recall from becoming more of a PR problem than it could have been.

• Like 1

Actually, I think Ford learned a lot from the Explorer recall when it came to addressing the cruise control problem. Were there huge recalls? Yes. But there wasn't nearly the type of media outcry as there was during the Firestone issue or this Toyota recall. I think Ford did a pretty good job of keeping the cruise control recall from becoming more of a PR problem than it could have been.

True. Ford handled the CC recall better than the Explorer/Firestone recall.

But a key mistake, IMO, was the delay in recalling -all- models with that switch.

While the recall was nominally due to manufacturing defects, the real issue was the design of the switch. Ford had fiddled around with a number of smaller recalls that basically kept that issue simmering on a back burner for a few years.

There was still that bit of corporate denial that said, "let's minimize what's going on here, and hope no more problems crop up."

Edited by RichardJensen

True. Ford handled the CC recall better than the Explorer/Firestone recall.

But a key mistake, IMO, was the delay in recalling -all- models with that switch.

While the recall was nominally due to manufacturing defects, the real issue was the design of the switch. Ford had fiddled around with a number of smaller recalls that basically kept that issue simmering on a back burner for a few years.

There was still that bit of corporate denial that said, "let's minimize what's going on here, and hope no more problems crop up."

Sounds like a pretty accurate summation. Hard to say whether there would have been more press attention to a single recall or multiple ones spread out over a couple of years though. In the long run I think a single recall would have been better for PR.

Yikes! "156" bitch/rant coming in 5,4,3.......... :rant:

quote name='RichardJensen' date='03 February 2010 - 10:53 AM' timestamp='1265216000' post='593899']

Another thing:

It's not a sure bet, but it's close to a sure bet that, sooner or later, a story like this will break about Hyundai/Kia.

Toyota is handling this as poorly as they are because they have no corporate intelligence regarding the US government/US media, except as they've been able to stroke and massage them over the past few decades.

These companies, at their highest levels, are not accustomed to this kind of scrutiny--as they have not gotten it stateside before, and they certainly don't get it in their home markets.

Why I think Hyundai/KIA is ripe for this: Their CEO had his jail sentence for embezzlement suspended because he was 'too valuable' to the Korean economy.

If a Hyundai/KIA scandal hits, it will not surprise me at all. I have some very severe doubts about the ethics of that company at its highest levels...

And they certainly have gotten a free pass in Korea.....

Nick, I was wondering when someone would post about suddenly becoming nervous on the roads when a damn Toyota shows up. I tell ya, at this point, when I see one (which is often) I start to get a little nervous thinking is that thing going to charge me???

I was walking through a parking lot a short time ago saying under my breath "recalled....recalled...recalled" every time I walked past one of the vehicles on the list. :lol:

Nick, I was wondering when someone would post about suddenly becoming nervous on the roads when a damn Toyota shows up. I tell ya, at this point, when I see one (which is often) I start to get a little nervous thinking is that thing going to charge me???

must say when i'm in the car pool lane on the bike with a Prius behind me, I become more "aware"....may change my plate to...if you are driving a Toyota BACK OFF....

Edited by Deanh

I was walking through a parking lot a short time ago saying under my breath "recalled....recalled...recalled" every time I walked past one of the vehicles on the list. :lol:

I'm vocal. Just yesterday going into Costco some people were loading their camry and I said sure hope your car won't run away with all those nice groceries. They looked up and seemed confused. They were Asian so maybe they didn't understand me?

Daily Mail today...

Don't drive your Toyota! U.S. transport chief's stark warning

The world's biggest car-maker was in chaos last night after the U.S. Government warned Toyota owners to stop driving.

The firm has recalled more than eight million vehicles worldwide over fears that faults with accelerator pedals have left them unsafe.

The recall affects 180,865 cars in Britain. leaving thousands of motorists afraid to use them.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood warned: 'Stop driving it. Take it to a Toyota dealer because they believe they have a fix for it.'

He spoke after Americans were shocked by details of a harrowing phone call from a family who died when their Lexus crashed near San Diego.

Passenger Chris Langella screamed: 'Our accelerator is stuck ... we're in trouble ... there's no brakes ... we're approaching the intersection ... hold on ... hold on and pray ... pray.'

Seconds later he was dead with his sister Cleofe Saylor, 45, her husband Mark, also 45, who was driving, and their daughter Mahala, 13.

Authorities in the U.S. have linked apparent defects with accelerators to 19 deaths and thousands of accidents.

Mr LaHood later branded his outspoken words a 'mis-statement' but it was too late to stop the effects spreading around the world.

Toyota's share price has plunged in the wake of the unprecedented recall, which is expected to cost it £1.25billion in lost sales and output, and could leave it facing a huge legal pay-out.

British lawyers have begun preparing legal action.

UK lawyers said they have been contacted by motorists affected by the problem.

Ciaran McCabe, of Moore Blatch solicitors in Southampton, said he represented a man who suffered serious head injuries when the accelerator of his four-wheel drive RAV4 apparently 'stuck' down.

The car is not one of the models affected by the recall, suggesting that the problem could be wider than Toyota has admitted. Mr McCabe said he had been contacted by other drivers since the recall was announced.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz0eXTK7TQd

THE TIMES CARTOON...

TTM042501CC_RGB_ONL_680488a.jpg

"The car in front" pages of ALL newspapers is a Toyota in the UK.

The Guardian Newspaper...

Lawyers advise Toyota drivers of legal danger of driving after product recall

Toyota owners in the UK and US were today warned to stop driving their cars immediately amid growing concern about the consequences of a potentially lethal accelerator fault affecting 8m vehicles worldwide.

A leading traffic and criminal lawyer urged the owners of almost 181,000 vehicles recalled by Toyota in the UK to leave them at home or face being charged with dangerous driving if the fault caused an accident.

In the US, Barack Obama's transport secretary, Ray LaHood, urged the owners of affected cars to stop driving them and "exercise caution until repairs can be made".

LINK

Kipper-Williams-Toyota-3.-001.jpg

Daily Mirror...

Thousands of British Toyota drivers were panicking last night after a top US official told owners in America to stop driving them.

A total of 180,865 vehicles have been recalled in the UK. The Cars are Aygo (Feb 2005-Aug 2009); Corolla (Oct 2006-Dec 2009); iQ (Nov 2008-Nov 2009); Verso (Feb 2009-Jan 2O10); Yaris (Nov 2005-Sept 2009); Avensis (Nov 2008-Dec 2009) and Auris (Oct 2006-Jan 2010)

Last night road safety experts told the Mirror response to recalls is "surprisingly low" and many unchecked.

LINK

THE SUN.

We're in trouble. There's no brakes. We're approaching the intersection. Hold on. Hold on and pray. Pray."

We're in a Lexus. We're going north on 125. Our accelerator is stuck.

LINK

THE TIMES..

Toyota has suspended the delivery of thousands of new cars as the crisis over defective accelerator pedals threatens to engulf the company.

The issue has sent Toyota into crisis, with more than 10,000 Britons jamming its switchboards to report incidents of pedal failure or seek advice on whether they should continue to drive their cars. Angry owners also want to know why Toyota has only just issued recall notices when it knew of problems last winter.

Ray LaHood, the US Transportation Secretary, said that his department's investigation of the pedals would be expanded. He warned: "We are not finished with Toyota yet." He caused a furore earlier in the day by telling Toyota owners: "My advice is . . . stop driving it. Take it to the dealer." Toyota shares dropped sharply on the New York Stock Exchange

LINK

Daily Telegraph...

Toyota in turmoil as US Government tells owners: don't drive - Owners of Toyotas around the world were thrown into panic last night as the US Government appeared to warn them not to drive their cars amid safety fears.

The comments by Ray LaHood, the US Transportation Secretary, sent the share price of the world's biggest car maker tumbling eight per cent on the US Stock Exchange, deepening the crisis over the defective accelerator pedals.

LINK