AAI losing B shift announcement

deflep1

My guess is that whatever happens with the people at Saline, it will be that same for the people at Sheldon Rd. I am a temp. at AAI that came from Sheldon Rd. Trades. So I am trying to figure out whats going to happen to the temps who went to AAI.

good question i am also a temp/trades from rawsonville. i was thinking thet might send us back to our home plant, but who knows. from the meeting, i say the plant manager knows little to nothing as to what will happen, thats why they took NO QUESTIONS.

I can't find any news outlet or media site that said anything about the shift elimination. Five months is an awful long time to give info regarding a shift elimination. Are buyouts still being offered? Perhaps this is a way to get more people out the door.

Edited by Footballfan

we are doomed as long as the Car of the Year is from Mexico and truck of the year is from Turkey!!! What an insult to An American company's workers.....FORD should build in the United States and US only!!!!

Affirmative on that buddy. Even the beligured GM and Chrysler are moving more of their stuff to the US to build. Where the hell are Gettlefinger and King in all this, oh I forgot, the same place they were the last 7 years :doh:

• Like 2

well, I suppose no incoming tax is better then quibing about nickles and dimes! I think the city of Flat Rock is a joke too! Maybe F.Rock should consider repairing the roads around the plant. Flat Rock treats AAI employees like 3rd class citizens. Cops love handing us tickets all the time. Everyone is hurting even local government's. Get over it Flat Rock!

Those roads are messed up clearly by the big semi-trucks that frequently use those lanes. The lanes will be fixed in the near future, I might add. Local government is already suffering enough from all the properties assessments that are decreasing. Cops are handing out tickets all the time to make up for the lack of revenue that is earned through the property tax decreases and the foreclosures in the area. This is a blow to all of the businesses that lie in the area. A lot are shuttered already. All of the towns that these plants were once in are now in trouble. Don't act like it is o.k. and that these cities treat you any different then you would be treated anywhere else. Gimme a break! I hope that some of the St. Louis and NAP lower seniority people will be o.k. I pray for them because now it seems like they will be having to worry again after their plant shut down and moved from another state, where they will be placed once this plant goes to 1 shift. There are a lot of children affected by the layoffs of 950 blue and white collar jobs pal so get over yourself!

• Like 1

I can't find any news outlet or media site that said anything about the shift elimination. Five months is an awful long time to give info regarding a shift elimination. Are buyouts still being offered? Perhaps this is a way to get more people out the door.

WDIV hank Winchester announced it ! July 12th the last day of the shift.

Town Hall meeting is scheduled to start at 3:45pm,4 meetings in all to be exact, memos all over plant. Is this enough proof hi-lo feva? As far as DrX comments go,it seems he has no idea of politics , or the intelligence of the workforce at AAI.

I worked in unit 34 for almost 4 years before I RTBU, so I have an "ideal of the politics" that goes on at AAi. :shades:

i could see aai cutting a shift cause there product isn't selling............Let's all hope not...................The guy who started this topic said he was told at 6:20 (wonder if he knows how many seconds were on the clock) and that Monday it would be announced,now he says Monday or tuesday......Hell he even has figured out all the seniority dates in the plant and what it will take to stay........I bet labor could use him..............

Egg on your bigmouthed face again???

My condolences to the union brothers and sisters who will be on the bricks for a time due to this.

• Like 1

Sounds like a crock to me the way ford is doing this. Thanks for doing a great job, now here's the door; almost an insult that they would compare us to Mexican workers. Did they mention anything about getting additional product at AAI?

I think there was a mention of keeping the Mustang for a extended amount of time and adding additional product to AAI last October

WDIV had Hank Winchester outside of AAI on the 11 o'clock news. I saw a link to his article in another thread.

Here is an AAI history lesson. In 1998, AAI announced that in July of 1999 that the Mercury Cougar was being elimated from the product line up and no Ford replacement was coming. In late 1998, AAI slowed down the line speed and hourly workers were slowly laid off - a total of 390 or so. Low senority in the plant after those layoffs was August 1992. After July shutdown in 1999, an entire shift was laid off. If I remember correctly, you needed the begininning of March 1988 senority to stay.

AAI was left with only one car - the Mazda 626. It took years before another Ford product was brought to the plant. But they survived.

I am an original "Mazda" worker that so many on here like to slam. I was laid off in 99, it took six months to be placed in another plant. I spent a year and a half at another plant before returning back to AAI. I was afraid that AAI was going to one shift last year. With 92 senority, I was really afraid that I wouldn't make the cut again. So, I opted to take the transfer to DTP in Feb of 2009. I still have family and friends at AAI.

I hope and pray that those who are going to be affected by the layoff will find new plants- quickly. I hope for those who remain that the ecomony improves and the plant eventually gets additional product.

• Like 2

Those roads are messed up clearly by the big semi-trucks that frequently use those lanes. The lanes will be fixed in the near future, I might add. Local government is already suffering enough from all the properties assessments that are decreasing. Cops are handing out tickets all the time to make up for the lack of revenue that is earned through the property tax decreases and the foreclosures in the area. This is a blow to all of the businesses that lie in the area. A lot are shuttered already. All of the towns that these plants were once in are now in trouble. Don't act like it is o.k. and that these cities treat you any different then you would be treated anywhere else. Gimme a break! I hope that some of the St. Louis and NAP lower seniority people will be o.k. I pray for them because now it seems like they will be having to worry again after their plant shut down and moved from another state, where they will be placed once this plant goes to 1 shift. There are a lot of children affected by the layoffs of 950 blue and white collar jobs pal so get over yourself!

yeah, ok pal! Cry me a river! Flat Rock is a joke! Sorry, you don't like my assesment of your city. I too have been affected by the closing of a plant, and so has my son. This will be round two. Soooooooo, get over your own self! oh yeah! the negative responses are awesome! keep em coming! City of Flat Rock crying over equipment taxes, just helped eliminate a shift and you people are sticking up for the city. AMAZING! Can you say sweet home Chicago! lmfao

Edited by el norte

kh1, the union confirmed your statement on Saline loan outs. If your seniority date is lower then the cutoff date, you're laid off...if it's higher you can stay. (Earlier they said everyone would have to leave, but I guess they found a way to keep the high seniority there) My rep said they don't have an official cutoff date yet. I asked if my late '93-early '94 scenario was in the ballpark and he yes it would be sometime close to that. The company announced a July 12th date for losing B shift. There would be 950 jobs affected (including salary). They would return to 68jph and stay on 4-10's for the time being. The only placement info they had was 550 RTBU's for Michigan Assembly. The union said there could be more openings at MAP other then the RTBU's, but couldn't confirm that. They also said Louisville KY and Chicago IL would have openings. We were told we all would be placed, but where is anybody's guess. They had the meeting at 3:55, the line stopped 10 minutes earlier. This is the latest into a shift that we've had a town hall meeting, some bosses on Thursday thought they'd wait until Tues. morning to have the meeting, but they hurriedly got everything done today. The company praised us for matching the Fusion's quality with the Mustang's quality, the highest in the whole company....then told us we have to leave. I wanted to ask if we built a shitty car, could we stay? I hope you guys can help us out with info when we find out what plants are going to be open. It will take months to sort all this out, and we've got almost 5 months before the last day of B shift. Good luck to all of us, we're going to need it!

I am at Saline loaned out and our union told us we are not going anywhere. So I do not know where you heard that.

Has anybody at aai heard about the possibility of an inverse layoff? Also, did anybody notice our union presence or lack of it at these meetings? Once again, when we need them most, they go into hiding.

Why is everyone bashing the union already? Inverse layoff???? hahahahahahahahahah good luck with that. Inverse layoff would mean the plant will be closing in the near future. I heard from a guy in unit 18 b-shift that the mustang will end up in wayne in 2012. Leave the union out of this wingzrule19. Besides, everyone knows the Blackhawks are the best.

Why is everyone bashing the union already? Inverse layoff???? hahahahahahahahahah good luck with that. Inverse layoff would mean the plant will be closing in the near future. I heard from a guy in unit 18 b-shift that the mustang will end up in wayne in 2012. Leave the union out of this wingzrule19. Besides, everyone knows the Blackhawks are the best.

Blackhawks suck!!!!

• Like 1

I think there was a mention of keeping the Mustang for a extended amount of time and adding additional product to AAI last October

Hey Jerk..... if you are refering to the committed product and the Mustang staying at AAI till 2014, it was part of the octomod which you know damned well it was voted down!!!!!!!!!!!

Ever been laid off with no home???

Quit throwing salt in the wound.

The shift reduction of 950 is bad enuough. Many previously reduced from AAI are already working elsewhere on temporary loans and are concerned about their home plant AAI.

A$#%^&

Edited by louie

That rumor has been floating around for months. If the Mustang were moved to Wayne, I would assume that it would be built at the old Wayne Assembly Plant. Would it not be more advantageous for Ford to leave the Mustang at AAI since it is a newer plant? Ir probably would cost Ford $200 million or so to move it from Flat Rock?

kh1, the union confirmed your statement on Saline loan outs. If your seniority date is lower then the cutoff date, you're laid off...if it's higher you can stay. (Earlier they said everyone would have to leave, but I guess they found a way to keep the high seniority there) My rep said they don't have an official cutoff date yet. I asked if my late '93-early '94 scenario was in the ballpark and he yes it would be sometime close to that. The company announced a July 12th date for losing B shift. There would be 950 jobs affected (including salary). They would return to 68jph and stay on 4-10's for the time being. The only placement info they had was 550 RTBU's for Michigan Assembly. The union said there could be more openings at MAP other then the RTBU's, but couldn't confirm that. They also said Louisville KY and Chicago IL would have openings. We were told we all would be placed, but where is anybody's guess. They had the meeting at 3:55, the line stopped 10 minutes earlier. This is the latest into a shift that we've had a town hall meeting, some bosses on Thursday thought they'd wait until Tues. morning to have the meeting, but they hurriedly got everything done today. The company praised us for matching the Fusion's quality with the Mustang's quality, the highest in the whole company....then told us we have to leave. I wanted to ask if we built a shitty car, could we stay? I hope you guys can help us out with info when we find out what plants are going to be open. It will take months to sort all this out, and we've got almost 5 months before the last day of B shift. Good luck to all of us, we're going to need it!

you say the union told you there was openings in louisville, there is none at lap, and won't be until the third shift is added in 2012 according to the union

So where does seniority fall at AAI? I thought it was a super high seniority plant. Any idea what seniority is getting cut. It sucks anytime people get laid off, especially when most have incesting many years and rely on the paycheck to support families.

So where does seniority fall at AAI? I thought it was a super high seniority plant. Any idea what seniority is getting cut. It sucks anytime people get laid off, especially when most have incesting many years and rely on the paycheck to support families.

Don,t take this to the bank , But what I have heard is. When you look at the seniority list in the great hall find number 1400 then that will be a general idea of the year that will be cut..

zj3, we're getting a lot of possible info on openings, and Louisville was mentioned as possible, but if there's no new shift for 2 years, I guess they could be wrong. (It wasn't official info, but thank you for the correct info, the facts are always helpful!) The Monroe Evening News (MI) said Chicago and Michigan were going to take some of our workers. Any other plants..who knows? The paper also quoted the AAI spokesperson saying 1380 workers would remain...which would be summer of '93 cutoff. ( My guess was always late '93, so I'd be close) This isn't an official number yet, according to the union, but they says it's close. My district rep and Gary Summerville both said the Saline loan outs that don't make the cutoff date will be laid off. Bob King said this at the Region 1A meeting too. If Salines' union is saying no one has to leave and our's says they have to go then I guess there's a huge problem! Feminstaller...the last shift reduction was summer of 2000, not '99. Our group was taken offline at Thanksgiving of '99. We reported upstairs in a conference room every day for 6 weeks, and then on Jan 7, 2000 we got to pick one of 6 plants and reported to them on Monday, Jan 10. The rest of b shift winded down by shutdown 2000. I still have all my work notebooks dating back to '97. I went to Monroe for 2.5 years and came back in July 2002. This July I get to leave again. Fem, I hope things are going well for you at DTP, I had a lot of friends from my unit who went there and i seriously thought about going. Hopefully i get to pick MAP and things will be better there!

zj3, we're getting a lot of possible info on openings, and Louisville was mentioned as possible, but if there's no new shift for 2 years, I guess they could be wrong. (It wasn't official info, but thank you for the correct info, the facts are always helpful!) The Monroe Evening News (MI) said Chicago and Michigan were going to take some of our workers. Any other plants..who knows? The paper also quoted the AAI spokesperson saying 1380 workers would remain...which would be summer of '93 cutoff. ( My guess was always late '93, so I'd be close) This isn't an official number yet, according to the union, but they says it's close. My district rep and Gary Summerville both said the Saline loan outs that don't make the cutoff date will be laid off. Bob King said this at the Region 1A meeting too. If Salines' union is saying no one has to leave and our's says they have to go then I guess there's a huge problem! Feminstaller...the last shift reduction was summer of 2000, not '99. Our group was taken offline at Thanksgiving of '99. We reported upstairs in a conference room every day for 6 weeks, and then on Jan 7, 2000 we got to pick one of 6 plants and reported to them on Monday, Jan 10. The rest of b shift winded down by shutdown 2000. I still have all my work notebooks dating back to '97. I went to Monroe for 2.5 years and came back in July 2002. This July I get to leave again. Fem, I hope things are going well for you at DTP, I had a lot of friends from my unit who went there and i seriously thought about going. Hopefully i get to pick MAP and things will be better there!

Sorry Deflep... as I age my memory fails me at times. I do remember that they decided to keep five more people until June- I was one of those five. So instead of having first pick of open jobs- I was one of the last ones placed. I wish all those who remain at AAI the best of luck. To all of you who know that you are not going to make the cut- be prepared. Hopefully it will all transition smoothly with no major time off work.

I am temp. prod. at AAI and it seems there is a lot of concern at the plant.about where people will end up. I think all of us temps, have the first right to any posting because we are on ILO, I seem to remember a hierarchy of who gets placed first and I believe those on ILO go first. If no openings come up before AAI members go out on ILO then they will hop in line then.

I know this whole temp situation was created to keep people working and I would never want a fellow union member to go through what I have but, those at AAI had a chance to stop this a long time ago. Now they face the real possibility of being the ones who ride out their sub and tap, maybe then they will be offered a temp spot somewhere and feel what is like to have 95' seniority (the current cutoff) and zero plant seniority, stuck in trim on some bad shift in a crummy unit.

Like said earlier I would not wish that on my brother and sisters but lets show some foresight and stop this cycle now.