Is toyots lying?

igor

OK this is what i nopticed: the greenhouse on the 06 and 07 camrys are identical. We know the size did not increase... so did Toyots just rebody the old platform? Did they beat Ford and GM in their own game of restyling old platforms and did it better than the Explorer or the upcoming Escape?

Pics:

3507_19.jpg

3441_19.jpg

LINK:http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/phot...1&v=t102544&r=1

Was I just asleep and missed this being common knowledge?

Igor

Edited by igor

OK this is what i nopticed: the greenhouse on the 06 and 07 camrys are identical. We know the size did not increase... so did Toyots just rebody the old platform? Did they beat Ford and GM in their own game of restyling old platforms and did it better than the Explorer or the upcoming Escape?

Pics:

3507_19.jpg

3441_19.jpg

LINK:http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/phot...1&v=t102544&r=1

Was I just asleep and missed this being common knowledge?

Igor

Beat Ford and GM at their own game?? I think Toyota has been doing this for years....

Common knowledge (to industry-type folk) that the new Camry was just a reskin of the old platform. But yes, Toyota is much better at it than Ford and GM. Of course, with the completely anonymous greenhouse shape on the Camry, it's easy to overlook it at first glance when all of the other sheet metal is new. Hopefully the Five Hundred refresh will be so successful as far as making the car look different without substantially changing the underlying structure. We can hope.

As far as I know this is in keeping with Toyota's standard cycles of minor/medium/major model overhauls. This would not be a major, full platform change, but a "medium" one where most visible elements inside and out are changed.

The new design is sufficiently different that it won't be confused with the older car by the average consumer. That's what matters when re-doing a model, as well as keeping with the perception it's an improvement.

Yeah. That is the same car, just restyled a little, but everyone drinks the Toyota KoolAid and believes it is all new. I am guessing there is more new about the 2006 Explorer over the 2005 model then there is in the new Camry versus the old one.

When you put the two Camry's side by side however, your right, same car with a new front and rear. Not any different then what Ford did on the new Explorer. Difference however is the Explorer had a lot of chassis changes that I doubt Toyota did with the Camry.

Last..whoever talked about the exhaust hanging off of the Camry, I completely agree! Common Toyota fix that crap. Looks terrible and appears like the whole exhaust system is going to fall off.

Yeah. That is the same car, just restyled a little, but everyone drinks the Toyota KoolAid and believes it is all new. I am guessing there is more new about the 2006 Explorer over the 2005 model then there is in the new Camry versus the old one.

When you put the two Camry's side by side however, your right, same car with a new front and rear. Not any different then what Ford did on the new Explorer. Difference however is the Explorer had a lot of chassis changes that I doubt Toyota did with the Camry.

Last..whoever talked about the exhaust hanging off of the Camry, I completely agree! Common Toyota fix that crap. Looks terrible and appears like the whole exhaust system is going to fall off.

Still, Toyota seems to be doing a better job of convincing the public while Ford is having a lot of trouble.

This isn't news, it's just, Toyota does such a good job in marketing,the media helps to blur and spin things, and so many different improvements are introduced, it deters people from asking the obvious.

Yes, it's a carry-over essentially. In fact, the platform is about several car generations old, stemming to the early 90's. It's basically all nip-tuck through all these generations. The Accord is also guilty of the same, no matter how much Honda has tried to say otherwise.

Also, ever notice in some generations of the Camry/Es300 twinnery, that the ES300 receives frameless side windows, while the Camry receives framed windows? This is another area they alter, to further differntiate.

Domestic manufacturer's always concentrated on differentiating one generation of a vehicle from another, that it just complicated manufacturing, logistics, while quality suffered from changing suppliers frquently. And they have learned this from asian manufacturer's, which carry over the majority of their proven parts, but tweak them...improved them, give them better reliability.

Actually there was an article about this about a year ago, where Ford admitted it would follow that method. A platform can age gracefully if it's designed properly, to allow for future growth with minimal tweaks. Whereas previously, Ford threw out the mold and introduced something totally different in every sense.

Ford's biggest mistake has been styling actually. They improved certain vehicles, yet...they look almost similar to the vehicle they replaced. Jag XJ, LS, Expy, Escape, CV/GM/TC.

For consumers to take notice, it requires radical sheetmetal change. And this is done at the 4-5th year product cycle. While keeping the front/rear fascia, lighting tweaking at the mid-cycle point. Yearly improvements are welcomed, or in the case of the 500, it receives substantial upgrades mid-cycle.

This isn't to say that it's correct to introduce a totally new vehicle, with previous generation engines either which Ford is very guilty of. In the case of the 500, it was all about timing.

And Ford know this...Look how quickly the F-150 is getting redesigned...only because they refuse to lose in that market. SO Ford can do this with sedans, it's all a matter about wanting to.

They all look the same from behind when you are driving behind it and it looks like the tailpipe is going to fall off because it hangs down too low. It has been that way for the last three generations of Camry's.

Just give it time and they'll start falling off left and right! :poke: :lol2::hysterical: I do believe I may have mentioned that a while ago; Being it so low, I wouldn't even dare driving a Camry on a dirt road anywhere. Although the one I did see by house on a dirt road was driving about 5 mph. So you can understand why. Maybe it had plastic ball joints in the front too.

I think the Camry from all years is one of the bigger pieces of shit out on the roads today. Why people continue to buy it is beyond me. :headscratch: High cost of replacement parts, high cost of repairs, high insurance... Yep, these consumers are really saving their gas money aren't they? :fan: Especially when they have to fix the fucking thing. OH WELL! :shrug: It ain't my problem!

The last time I said this I got blasted by some people but I'll say it again. Simply changing the style of door handles can effectively change the appearance of a car. Imagine if the new Explorer did not have those unusual looking door handles. From the side, it would look pretty much the same as the previous generation.