2011 F-150 Start Date

BlueOval5.0

There are engineering changes that are being worked in for the '11 model that haven't gone exactly as planned that keep pushing the launch date back. Nothing to do with the powertrains.

New rumor is for a launch close to the end of the year.

Start date has been Nov, we've know that since Feb.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of yesterday's FDNB (Fleet Distribution News Bulletin) the 2011 MY F-150 Order Bank is now set to open on September 3rd with a Job #1 date of November 16th.

Last I was told was we were not going to run the '11 until December and will not be on sale until the beginning of next year.

Of course, things could change. They always do around this place. :)

I'm curious as well about exterior changes--especially the front end. Anyone know when we might get a glimpse of the 2011 F-150?

Most changes are under the skin. You won't notice them unless you start ripping the truck apart.....or keep track of your mileage.

Most changes are under the skin. You won't notice them unless you start ripping the truck apart.....or keep track of your mileage.

I've heard a lot about weight reduction with the 2011 F150, is Ford working more of their high strength steel into the design?

I was hoping they might redo the front-end a bit. One of the reasons I'm considering a Raptor is because the front end is so much better looking! But I really don't need this much 4x4 as this will be my daily driver.

What would add more weight?

Never mind the JD, pretty much every other Ford product has the tele wheel.

Telescoping steering would add more weight. If it telescopes it is obviously two pieces but the pieces have to have some overlap for strength. So adding the extra steel for overlap plus a mechanical mechanism to release it is more weight- maybe a lb? Looks like Ford is dropping every lb they can to help with the mpg. Makes me wonder how much of the ecoboost's 20% increase in fuel economy is due to the engine and how much to lightening up the truck's weight.

I think I read somewhere one time that every 500 lbs drops your mpg by 1. That sounds high to me though. Wish I knew what they were doing. As far as I am concerned they could shorten the sides of the bed back to like they were. That would take off a few lbs and then people woudn't need the added weight of the step to reach into the bed.

Telescoping steering would add more weight. If it telescopes it is obviously two pieces but the pieces have to have some overlap for strength. So adding the extra steel for overlap plus a mechanical mechanism to release it is more weight- maybe a lb? Looks like Ford is dropping every lb they can to help with the mpg. Makes me wonder how much of the ecoboost's 20% increase in fuel economy is due to the engine and how much to lightening up the truck's weight.

I think I read somewhere one time that every 500 lbs drops your mpg by 1. That sounds high to me though. Wish I knew what they were doing. As far as I am concerned they could shorten the sides of the bed back to like they were. That would take off a few lbs and then people woudn't need the added weight of the step to reach into the bed.

I don't think the telescoping wheel would add any tangible lbs. And even it added 5 lbs, we all have that much cr@p in useless stuff in our door pockets.

The biggest loss in lbs will be the EB. Especially compared to the 6.2L. I would think a EB max tow would have at least a 200 lb payload advantage over a 6.2L max tow.

Good news! All of the design changes, and the engineering changes to meet them, have been approved!

New time table I am hearing is that we will balance out the 2010 models sometime around the end of this month/beginning of next month with 2011 production beginning immediately after. Basically a running model change. When the date gets closer I will update.

There will be the usual delivery hold while they are checked over, so November is a possibility for dealer deliveries.

Edited by Pioneer