CV PI Replacement

SysEng,

That's me trying to horn in on RJ's joke without offending you...

And, if you are open to a full frame on D3, why couldn't it be a stronger integral frame?

That way you get the ease of unitary construction and most of the BOF's strength. Sure you cant separate the body from frame but you get a strong car that's repairable after lighter crashes and kerb hopping.

I'm game for the idea that cars in that class would be significantly better if they had full length perimeter frames. Whether BOF or unitized would be an issue depending on who exactly does the job... like anything else.

30 years ago, I owned a Malibu, at that time the size of the current D3s. That had a full length frame and was exceptionally rigid... it survived my rather brutal driving habits, though walls, trees and other cars may not have fared that well... :doh:

And yes, it could easily reduce the weight of a D3 ( a car smaller that a Town Car yet heavier than same :stirpot: ) by at least 500# ...

And yes, it could easily reduce the weight of a D3 ( a car smaller that a Town Car yet heavier than same :stirpot: ) by at least 500# ...

:hysterical:

Right. Adding a perimeter frame to a D3 unitized platform will allow "at least" 500 lb. weight saving? :finger:

Please tell us how. :hysterical:

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: Probably the same way it made similar size cars from 30 years ago 500# lighter... :finger::doh::finger:

Hmm, some of us are confused. Please enlighten us on just which "similar size cars from 30 years ago" lost weight by adding a full frame. As I recall (and, yes, I was an adult car enthusiast 30 years ago), the LTD and Caprice both lost weight by lopping about a foot off their length - and they were both full-frame vehicles before - and after - their downsizing. Chrysler's large cars had already lost their full frames nearly a decade and a half before, and, in fact, disappeared entirely.

In fact, I can't recall even a single vehicle in that time frame that actually added a full frame. Please help, as I can't handle the idea that there's a vehicle out there that I've completely forgotten.

Hmm, some of us are confused. ..

In fact, I can't recall even a single vehicle in that time frame that actually added a full frame. Please help, as I can't handle the idea that there's a vehicle out there that I've completely forgotten.

You mean you can't remember a single car with similar dimensions to D3 that came with a full frame???

Easier question ( since there were so few of them :rolleyes: ) how many cars had airbags???

Hmm, some of us are confused. Please enlighten us on just which "similar size cars from 30 years ago" lost weight by adding a full frame. As I recall (and, yes, I was an adult car enthusiast 30 years ago), the LTD and Caprice both lost weight by lopping about a foot off their length - and they were both full-frame vehicles before - and after - their downsizing. Chrysler's large cars had already lost their full frames nearly a decade and a half before, and, in fact, disappeared entirely.

I believe the only car that ever went from unitary construction to a body on frame was the Ford Torino. According to Wiki the Ford Torino went from Unitary construction to Body on Frame in the 1972 re-design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Torino

The biggest change for the Torino was the switch to body-on-frame construction from the unit-construction of the 1971 models.

1971 Unitary Torino Weight 3,141–3,663 lb (1,425–1,662 kg)*

1972 BOF Torino Weight 3,369–4,042 lb (1,528–1,833 kg)*

*Shipping weight

I know this is Wiki so you always have to question all of the information, but still it appears that by going from a unitary design to a BOF design the Torino gained several hundred pounds. It looks like even going way back BOF adds weight to a car.

It looks like SysEng theory that a BOF car is lighter then a unitary car is nothing but BS. Granted today's cars are completely different then these old ones, but since SysEng likes to live in the past I thought I would pull up an example out of the past.

• Like 1