LA Times: Runaway Toyota deaths top 100

AGR

Here is one line from the story on an owner who "blamed" the car -

"The 2000 Solara did not have the electronic throttle system that some have suggested is responsible for sudden acceleration. That model has not been subject to any of the Toyota recalls."

Owners are going back several years to file complaints. Some (most) are going to be futile and are nothing more than blaming Toyota for their poor driving skills. I wonder what the average age is of drivers of said complaints?

Edited by CKNSLS

Here is one line from the story on an owner who "blamed" the car -

"The 2000 Solara did not have the electronic throttle system that some have suggested is responsible for sudden acceleration. That model has not been subject to any of the Toyota recalls."

Owners are going back several years to file complaints. Some (most) are going to be futile and are nothing more than blaming Toyota for their poor driving skills. I wonder what the average age is of drivers of said complaints?

I cant think of ANY recall, for ANY manufacturer which has been this brutal...knee jerk reaction to finding out about decades of mis-truths and arrogance perhaps?

I cant think of ANY recall, for ANY manufacturer which has been this brutal...knee jerk reaction to finding out about decades of mis-truths and arrogance perhaps?

You can look at several car manufacturers for arrogance and half-truths that go back decades.......

http://www.wfu.edu/~palmitar/Law&Valuation/Papers/1999/Leggett-pinto.html

Edited by CKNSLS

You can look at several car manufacturers for arrogance and half-truths that go back decades.......

http://www.wfu.edu/~...gett-pinto.html

I'll ask you again:

Were you on Toyota boards defending Ford during the Explorer rollover fracas? Or the cruise control flap?

Because if your objection is media sensationalism, you should be pretty non-denominational about it. You shouldn't be making a point of -just- coming to a Ford board and -just- defending Toyota.

• Like 1

I'll ask you again:

Were you on Toyota boards defending Ford during the Explorer rollover fracas? Or the cruise control flap?

Because if your objection is media sensationalism, you should be pretty non-denominational about it. You shouldn't be making a point of -just- coming to a Ford board and -just- defending Toyota.

I said I didn't think the Ford/Firestone disaster was Ford's fault. The drivers hit the brakes in a blow out situation. The last thing you should do. As far as my link, there are those on this board who seem to think denial only belongs to Toyota (maybe these people are a little young-which could be the cause of their lack of knowledge). Well - it goes back a few years but Ford had a pretty bad case of it as well!

Do YOU THINK there was any where near the media circus for the Ford/Firestone fiasco compared to this Toyota thing?

I say Yes. There were non stop political cartoons against Ford and negative articles popping up everyday. The difference is, Ford knew how to fix the problem and resolved it within a few weeks. The reason the media is jumping on toyota is because their "floormat excuses" and " pedal fixes" aren't working. So, until toyota can prove this situation is resolved the public has a right to know..

Edited by Hydro
  • Like 1

I say Yes. There were non stop political cartoons against Ford and negative articles popping up everyday. The difference is, Ford knew how to fix the problem and resolved it within a few weeks. The reason the media is jumping on toyota is because their "floormat excuses" and " pedal fixes" aren't working. So, until toyota can prove this situation is resolved the public has a right to know..

We disagree again, I do not believe there was anywhere the media hype with the Ford/Firestone situation as with the Toyota situation. Hence, there was not a need to defend Ford as much as Toyota. Even though in public in my social circles I voiced my view that it was the driver's fault for ill handling of the vehicle in an emergency situation.

Do YOU THINK there was any where near the media circus for the Ford/Firestone fiasco compared to this Toyota thing?

Yes, their sure was. It was talked about on the news almost every day for the longest time. I remember it well because my sister was driving an Explorer with the recalled tires on it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, yes there was.

Being I owned a '99 Explorer at the time (even though it had General Tires not Firestone), as well as a '99 Ranger which had the 15" Firestone tires. I heard it practically every day from others as well as through the internet, TV and newspaper.

You can claim there wasn't as much attention paid to the Firestone/Explorer issue, but that's most likely because you weren't paying as much attention on a daily basis, as you are now with this Toyota problem.

I did a Google news archive search using the keywords "ford explorer firestone" and turned up 12,100 news stories with those keywords. Of those, 9,260 were published during the 2000-2005 timeframe (that's 76.5%).

So to answer your question: yes, there most definitely was a media circus around for the Ford/Firestone issues. Care to try again?

EDIT: These numbers do not include television news stories.

Edited by TomServo92