Comparison: Mustang GT/Camaro SS

A lop sided comparison, Camaro had Brembo brakes and summer tires while the Mustang got by with all season rubber and no track pack suspension/Bremb brakes.

Maybe Camaro prowess would be less accentuated with tires, brakes and suspension evened up...

They couldn't help with the IRS jibe too, I've no doubt that the Camaro's IRS hangs on better than the basic Mustang SRA but I'd be interested to see just how important that is to Mustang buyers....

I can't imagine the average Mustang buyer being too worried about a little bit of uneasiness over mid corner bumps. Would have preferred to see how Trac Pac suspension and Brembo brakes would have gone...

What ya complaining about? They picked the Mustang over the Camaro, they mentioned the grabber Blue GT with the Brembos (faster and stopped shorter), they prefered the Mustang interior and said it was a lot easier to live with.

Hey, someone's gotta buy a Camaro......it's still a close race.

It kind of sucks that you can't get the California Special package with the good tires and Brembos, or Kona Blue ofr that matter. I think the GT/CS is quite a bit better looking than the base GT, but I think I'd rather the go-fast stuff.

I have been struggling with that one myself. On the one hand I have considered going with the GT/CS and adding brake and tire upgrades later. However, you could also add the rear spoiler, billet "style" grill and side scoops to a non CS car that already has the Brembo package. I guess it depends whether you value performance or looks. I think the Brembo package also includes a different stability control setting or something along those lines so it may not be possible to duplicate the factory setup exactly.

As far as the comments about IRS, I liked what someone else said, when the car gets upset because you hit a bump in the middle of a corner it is just telling you to stop hitting pot holes. :shades:

It all comes down to the driver. For me ill trust motor trend over edmonds anyday. camaro ss 1/4 mile in 13.1. challenger 1/4 mile 13.3. 11 gt 1/4 mile in 12.7. all had 6 speeds. dodge is the heavyweight 4000 pounds. camaro is a little more heavy than the mustang. stopping distance camaro 0-60 in 108 feet dodge 113 feet mustang 104 feet. I would like to know why they didn't include the dodge? Its a contender along with the others. I do feel dodge will get it right someday. Hey anyone want to buy a 2009 challenger 6500 miles 39,000. ha...........

Last years Track Pack suspension components are standard equipment on the 11 Mustang.

That may be so but this year's California pack raises the bar again.

I've re read the article and perhaps the review isn't as lop sided as I first thought,

I just wished they'd even up the cars tires and braking a bit before presenting the

test but also accept that customers deserve to know how the vehicles perform

straight off the show room. Still, it's a pretty good result to the Mustang.

Edited by jpd80

Phuck edmunds, the whole article sounds like a jab fest at the Mustang. Every positive followed by some smirky ass comment. Why don't you jackasses drive an ss up your ass. :censored:

Yeah, it was a very weirded out review considering the Camaro had Brembo brakes, and better performing tires, and the Mustang didn't. And then to say the Mustang barely beat out the Camaro because of not having the best equipment. I don't know whey they just didn't use the other Mustang they tested and use those results as it beat the Camaro in braking and the 1/4 mile. Made no sense to me. It's like Edmunds tied one of the Mustang's hands behind its back and asked it to beat another car using both hands.

In Ca and Driver's shootout, the Camaro SS was quicker than the Mustang GT as well. So far, MT put the Mustang in the lead and C&D put the Camaro in the lead. It appears to be too close to call.

The Mustang has a better power to weight ratio, and on paper at least should be faster given that tires and driver performance are equal. Of course the Camaro has a bigger engine with more horsepower and torque, but does have a weight penalty and quits breathing at higher RPM. Most of the 0-60 times I have seen point to the Mustang being faster. In the quarter mile, it's very close, but again power to weight ratio should be the telling difference.