"New" GM sales up 20%

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took the liberty of editing the thread title. "New" GM sales are up 19.7%. GM overall was only up 6.4 % including legacy brands.

GM's newer models are certainly performing well. They still have a lot of old product that needs to be addressed though.

What vehicle did the Camaro replace?

What are you referring to?

The sales tables say there were 9,150 Camaros sold. Does that mean that 14% of sales are fleet?

Sounds reasonable to me. Probably a lower percentage than the Mustang right now, especially since the rental fleets in the south have a liking for the convertibles, which the Camaro doesn't offer yet.

CTS continues to slide... even after 2 new models were added to the line (coupe/wagon).

How I wish the MKZ would "slide" to those sales levels. Aside from the SRX though, Cadillac really doesn't have much going for it. Even the Escalade is now just barely ahead of the Navigator.

One surprise with Caddy is the DTS sales were up. Maybe word got out it's going away? Also, the SRX is their #1 seller! It has taken place of the Lexus RX as the "rich lady vehicle". But, OTOH, CTS sales?? And STS is dead in water.

Regarding 'old product', they have sold off most of the left over Pontiacs and Saturns. Only some Hummers left over now. Saabs are not GM anymore.

I'd say the only outdated car is the Impala, which is a fleet queen and no firm plans for when it will be replaced. Cobalt production is on the way out, if not already, with the Cruze coming in the fall. Aveo will get replaced in a year. Malibu is on track for an update for 2012 MY.

I believe that they canned the V8 for the STS this next model year (they only ever sold a handful anyway). The STS and DTS are supposed to be merged soon, so, I can't say that seeing them go through sales fluctuations is a surprise. The CTS is just starting to get stale. The coupe and wagon are limited taste items, so they will never add a lot of volume. That leaves cadillac with the SRX, the Escalade (in three versions) and the XLR. Not a winning product line to be sure.

About the only decent product there is the CTS. The SRX is interesting, but, fundamentally, tries to out RX350 the RX350.

I'd say the only outdated car is the Impala, which is a fleet queen and no firm plans for when it will be replaced. Cobalt production is on the way out, if not already, with the Cruze coming in the fall. Aveo will get replaced in a year. Malibu is on track for an update for 2012 MY.

Impala, HHR, Cobalt, Aveo, Corvette, DTS, STS, Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Colorado, Canyon...all getting comparitively old. I'm sure I'm missing a few. You mentioned a couple replacements, but that doesn't take care of all of it.

Considering it's a brand new model I would hope it sells better than the on-its-last-leg MKX.

The MKX didn't sell anywhere near that well when it was new. Let's face it. Lincoln's reputation sucks compared to Cadillac's, and until that changes, none of their product is going to sell particularly well.

What are you referring to?

This:

combined sales of the Chevrolet Camaro, Chevrolet Equinox, Buick LaCrosse, GMC Terrain and Cadillac SRX are up nearly 300 percent, at 110,176, compared to the vehicles they replaced.

Heaven forbid they're describing the Camaro as a replacement for either the GTO or Monte Carlo

The MKX didn't sell anywhere near that well when it was new. Let's face it. Lincoln's reputation sucks compared to Cadillac's, and until that changes, none of their product is going to sell particularly well.

I am anxious to see how the new MKX competes... the product is definitely there, it's a matter of marketing getting the job done.

I'd say the new SRX is a strong indication that GM is abandoning their "BMW fighter" image, and going after Lexus. Which is odd, however, since that's what Buick's supposed to do. GM cut 4 brands and still doesn't know what to do with them.

I've thought that the current SRX should have been a Buick from the start.

The CTS is just starting to get stale. The coupe and wagon are limited taste items, so they will never add a lot of volume.

I don't think stale is the right word. A combination of the economy and the SRX cannibalizing some sales is more likely the culprit. The CTS is still an excellent vehicle that seems to be aging gracefully.

I don't think stale is the right word. A combination of the economy and the SRX cannibalizing some sales is more likely the culprit. The CTS is still an excellent vehicle that seems to be aging gracefully.

One more reason I think that the current SRX should have been a Buick... anything in the Caddy showroom with a starting price of $34,000 (and nicely equipped at that price) is going to steal sales from the other models, especially considering that the cheapest CTS (rental special - doesn't even have fog lights!) is around $36,000.

I'd say the new SRX is a strong indication that GM is abandoning their "BMW fighter" image, and going after Lexus. Which is odd, however, since that's what Buick's supposed to do. GM cut 4 brands and still doesn't know what to do with them.

Cadillac is GMs "Buick Fighter".....wait....is that right?

Cadillac is GMs "Buick Fighter".....wait....is that right?

I can get a good look at my butcher by sticking my head up his ass, but I'd rather take his word for it.

Wait... it's got to be your bull.

(Richard: "Got that?")

Shut up, Richard.

tommy.png

Edited by PREMiERdrum

Of course, Cadillac's reputation sucks compared to what GM was expecting, so who's the greater fool in all this?

I'm not saying Cadillac's investment was worth it or not. What I was getting at is that no one respects Lincoln as a luxury brand and their sales will continue to be somewhat disappointing until that changes. I'm certainly not putting any Lincoln on my shopping list until that image changes. Call me shallow, but frankly, if I'm spending $35-40K+ on a car, image matters.

The car is not what gives me my image, MY image, is what makes the car...meaning...My first Lincoln was a 98 Mark8, and as big of a boat it was, I made that car looks like a sports car the way I would squeeze it in traffic and toss it around. Then came the 00 LS, same thing, I made it a sports car with the way I drive. I can take a Buick, and make the sucker dance for me. And people have been shocked at the performance of my vehicles because they had preconceived notions that it was "a boat". Some even expect my LS to float over bumps, and I've obviously had to educate them. But thats with every product.

I'm not saying Cadillac's investment was worth it or not. What I was getting at is that no one respects Lincoln as a luxury brand and their sales will continue to be somewhat disappointing until that changes. I'm certainly not putting any Lincoln on my shopping list until that image changes. Call me shallow, but frankly, if I'm spending $35-40K+ on a car, image matters.

And I think it would be foolish for Lincoln to do any sort of expensive image building until the product is all there. Remember those great Cadilliac "reloaded" ads? The ones that heralded Caddy as a true BMW and MB competitor? When customers went to the showroom to take a look, they saw the awkwardly-styled 1st gen CTS (styling aside, the strongest point in the Caddy line up then), a few FWD luxobarges, and a BOF SUV with an interior straight out of a Suburban.

I have no problem with Lincoln chugging along like it is right now, advertising their high tech vehicles with the clever "Starships Don't Need Keys / Relaunch" ads until the product is all where it needs to be.

Once the Lincoln showroom has the MCE'd MKS, '11 MKX, tweaked MKT, and something from GRWD (rumored MKZ replacement), then launch an image campaign.

The car is not what gives me my image, MY image, is what makes the car...meaning...My first Lincoln was a 98 Mark8, and as big of a boat it was, I made that car looks like a sports car the way I would squeeze it in traffic and toss it around. Then came the 00 LS, same thing, I made it a sports car with the way I drive. I can take a Buick, and make the sucker dance for me. And people have been shocked at the performance of my vehicles because they had preconceived notions that it was "a boat". Some even expect my LS to float over bumps, and I've obviously had to educate them. But thats with every product.

At least back when Lincoln offered the Mark VIII and LS they had some sort of sporting intention. Even the EcoBoost MKS hasn't exactly been praised for its sporting nature.

Eventually Ford is going to have to make a Cadillac-like investment in Lincoln to get it up to speed. Hopefully they will be far more successful at executing it than GM has been, but the investment is going to have to be made if it's ever going to be taken seriously again.