Mustang V6 opt. 3.31 axle ratio only available on hardtop

mustang07

Hello - I

I'm hoping someone here in the know can tell me why I can get a 3.31 rear axle with an automatic trans. on the hardtop, but not on the convertible. I just don't understand .......

Thanks -

Phil

I just looked at the order guide and see that the 3.31 ratio limited slip axle is for the coupe only, as you say.

My V6 2011 Mustang convertible with automatic transmission has the 3.31 rear axle. Says so right on the window sticker...... See below....

my mustang window sticker.pdf

I just looked at the order guide and see that the 3.31 ratio limited slip axle is for the coupe only, as you say.

My V6 2011 Mustang convertible with automatic transmission has the 3.31 rear axle. Says so right on the window sticker...... See below....

Whats with the mileage estimate 26 city 42 hwy on your sticker? I thought it was 31 mpg hwy.

Thank you very much Rick. Not only does your V6 Mustang have the axle I want - you were also able to get the cloth top which the other peeve of mine. I am even willing to pay extra for those options, but here in the states they aren't available on the V6 convertible. What a bunch of s**t! Thank you again for sharing your information. When it's time to order mine you can bet I'm going to put up a fight.

Thank you very much Rick. Not only does your V6 Mustang have the axle I want - you were also able to get the cloth top which the other peeve of mine. I am even willing to pay extra for those options, but here in the states they aren't available on the V6 convertible. What a bunch of s**t! Thank you again for sharing your information. When it's time to order mine you can bet I'm going to put up a fight.

Wow, this doesn't make sense that we have more options up here. We are a much smaller market. Good luck getting the configuration you want!

Wow, this doesn't make sense that we have more options up here. We are a much smaller market. Good luck getting the configuration you want!

I remember the Lincoln LS had optional cloth seats in Canada. And in 2003 Lincoln had planned 4 LS models - V6 and V8 sport and non-sport. The U.S. dealers killed the V6 sport and the V8 non sport but IIRC you could still get them in Canada.

It probably has more to do with U.S. dealers than manufacturing.

Hello - I

I'm hoping someone here in the know can tell me why I can get a 3.31 rear axle with an automatic trans. on the hardtop, but not on the convertible. I just don't understand .......

Thanks -

Phil

There are only 2 axles for the V6s. The 2.73 goes in the "Value Leader" (The base model, coupe only) that you have almost no available options on. The 3.31 goes in all the rest of the V6 coupes and 'verts. There are no axle choices with the V6 -- it depends on the trim level you choose and you're stuck with it.

The 6-speed manual GT (both coupe and vert) is the only model that has axle options: either 3.55 standard or optional 3:73s.

3.31 is standard for the autotranny GTs with no other option

There are only 2 axles for the V6s. The 2.73 goes in the "Value Leader" (The base model, coupe only) that you have almost no available options on. The 3.31 goes in all the rest of the V6 coupes and 'verts. There are no axle choices with the V6 -- it depends on the trim level you choose and you're stuck with it.

The 6-speed manual GT (both coupe and vert) is the only model that has axle options: either 3.55 standard or optional 3:73s.

3.31 is standard for the autotranny GTs with no other option

Then why does the 2011 order guide fail to list it as Standard equipment on the V6 Premium and lists it as (Coupe Only) in the optional equipment section? Also the performance package which includes the 3.31 is only available on a manual coupe.

Perhaps you're thinking of the 2010?

Then why does the 2011 order guide fail to list it as Standard equipment on the V6 Premium and lists it as (Coupe Only) in the optional equipment section? Also the performance package which includes the 3.31 is only available on a manual coupe.

Perhaps you're thinking of the 2010?

No, I'm looking at the Canadian 2011 order guide. Thought the OP was from Canada when in fact it was "Rickm70" that posted the Canadian window sticker. In Canada some of the options are different for the Mustang (for example, there is no base GT available -- the lowest trim GT starts at the Premium; and only one out of the 6 GT appearance packages (package 4) is available.)

While the ratios arent listed on the "Standard equipment" page, they are listed on the "Major Product Change" page and the page for each Rapid Spec -- 200A 201A 202A 203A

There are more choices in the US, looking at that order guide; but according to the most recent guide, in the US:

V6 (Man or Auto) Standard: 2.73 Option 3.31 - Not available on the vert.

V8 (Auto) 3.15 (only)

V8 (Man) Standard 3.55 Optional 3.73

Now the reason why?

My guess: CAFE (and perhaps the EPA rating by average).

In the US, more convertibles are sold proportionally than Canada, so Ford has to limit the number of 3.31 axles that it sells -- because while it gets better acceleration, it gets worse gas mileage. If Ford sells too many 3.31s, it will have to lower the average mileage figures for the Mustang and the CAFE average goes down.

The Canadian guide is much simpler/smaller. (10 pages vs 17 pages), which sucks for personalization except for that you can buy a 3.31 V6 'vert. It's so limited that I've actually entertained ordering mine from the US.

Edited by OAC_Sparky

WOW.... Canadas mpg numbers seem way too high.... Canada says 42 mpg highway with a convertible.....

WOW.... Canadas mpg numbers seem way too high.... Canada says 42 mpg highway with a convertible.....

I wonder if the Canadian federal government has shorter miles to go with the bigger gallons... :hysterical: Seriously, they do seem overly generous but I can't explain them. So, I will do some calcs shortly to see how far off they are.