Best CEO of all Time..?

Sigh.

Very very very few Super Duties came to the US from Cuautitlan, and after 2003 (if not earlier) NO F150s came to the US from there. By contrast, there are no shortage of Mexican assembled Chevy and GM trucks.

And OTP was closed because Canada repealed their version of the chicken tax (all but mandating domestic assembly of pickup trucks).

OTP, AFAIK, never had a high volume, and like Cuautitlan, almost never sent vehicles into the US.

Edited by RichardJensen

Whoever decided to build the F150s in Mexico was an idiot.

They were built for the local Mexican market, very few Super Duties came back to USA

I think the former RHD F250 sold in Australia came from there, or was it South America?

Edited by jpd80

They were built for the local Mexican market, very few Super Duties came back to USA

I think the former RHD F250 sold in Australia came from there, or was it South America?

That's good news.............

.....then why is the US content so low on F150s?

Very simple, as Ford screws down the prices in supply contracts,

suppliers react by moving their parts sourcing from outside the USA.

It's not even necessarily due to prices being 'screwed down'--likely Ford doesn't spec where Tier 1 suppliers manufacture items, thus production could've been moved to Mexico/Canada/China/Brazil/Andorra/San Marino/Luxembourg, or Brunei due to supplier expansion, or some other reason known only to the supplier.

It's not even necessarily due to prices being 'screwed down'--likely Ford doesn't spec where Tier 1 suppliers manufacture items, thus production could've been moved to Mexico/Canada/China/Brazil/Andorra/San Marino/Luxembourg, or Brunei due to supplier expansion, or some other reason known only to the supplier.

That's interesting, so Ford doesn't know where their parts are being made, but Toyota's parts are supplied locally.....and made here?

What does Toyota know that Ford doesn't (nothing I doubt) ?

That's interesting, so Ford doesn't know where their parts are being made, but Toyota's parts are supplied locally.....and made here?

What does Toyota know that Ford doesn't (nothing I doubt) ?

Of course they *know*, they may choose to contractually oblige suppliers to use certain facilities, or they may not, at their discretion.

Apparently their contract with Toshiba required US assembly of motors for their hybrids. Apparently their contract with Johnson Controls required US assembly of LI-ion batteries for their PIHs and BEVs.

But it doesn't necessarily follow that they routinely insert country-of-origin language into their contracts, or routinely insist that product come from certain plants.

Also, don't be quick to assume that any Tier 1 component is 'made' in the US.

If four gauges and a wiring harness are shipped to the US from China and are clipped together stateside, that IP assembly is legally "US origin".

Conversely, a bunch of US cast engine parts shipped to Mexico for final assembly are considered "Mexican origin"

Sigh.

Very very very few Super Duties came to the US from Cuautitlan, and after 2003 (if not earlier) NO F150s came to the US from there. By contrast, there are no shortage of Mexican assembled Chevy and GM trucks.

And OTP was closed because Canada repealed their version of the chicken tax (all but mandating domestic assembly of pickup trucks).

OTP, AFAIK, never had a high volume, and like Cuautitlan, almost never sent vehicles into the US.

Majority of your posts I listen and learn. Point 1, I think you may be incorrect about the "chicken tax" analogy. Could you expand on that.

Point 2. No. OTP was 20 hours production from the mid 60's to the mid 90's producing several hundred thousand vehicles per year, when they were reduced to one shift. 90% of OTP's production was shipped to the US, the same as today where 90% of OAC's production is shipped to the States.

Majority of your posts I listen and learn. Point 1, I think you may be incorrect about the "chicken tax" analogy. Could you expand on that.

Point 2. No. OTP was 20 hours production from the mid 60's to the mid 90's producing several hundred thousand vehicles per year, when they were reduced to one shift. 90% of OTP's production was shipped to the US, the same as today where 90% of OAC's production is shipped to the States.

Oakville plant was closed as part of a world wide push to cut 12,000 jobs and reduce supply capacity,

it had absolutely nothing to do with the productivity or quality of the plant or its products.

The CAW were extremely bitter about that decision: LINK and sadly, I suspect that STAP

is being closed for similar reasons, oversupply of (perceived) competing products.

Edited by jpd80

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Pact

The agreement wasn't over trucks specifically, but did mandate that 60% of Canadian sales by the Big Three come from Canadian plants. The cancellation of that pact in 2001 opened the way for Ford to close OTP (and later for GM to close Oshawa truck)

By the time it closed, OTP was primarily serving Canada. I can't remember the last time I saw an F150 with a Canadian VIN--although, looking through my internal VIN decoder database (built from vehicles routinely imported by my software--not comprehensive), there are a fair number of 2 VIN codes....

Edited by RichardJensen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Pact

The agreement wasn't over trucks specifically, but did mandate that 60% of Canadian sales by the Big Three come from Canadian plants. The cancellation of that pact in 2001 opened the way for Ford to close OTP (and later for GM to close Oshawa truck)

By the time it closed, OTP was primarily serving Canada. I can't remember the last time I saw an F150 with a Canadian VIN--although, looking through my internal VIN decoder database (built from vehicles routinely imported by my software--not comprehensive), there are a fair number of 2 VIN codes....

Lots of Lightnings, believe it or not.