Critics Honor Lincoln Zephyr

range

imagine how many people complained about that interior and were wrong (so to speak)... about the only thing not to like is the (middle) of the steering wheel. but if you can get past that, its quite nice. interesting to see if they change anything in the new MKZ - besides that wheel

I think the critics made their choice based on photographs instead of real world testing. Very few of the critics actually drove the Zephy since the Fusion they all drove is roughly the same thing.

The wood in the Zephyr looks better than the wood in the Lexus, but the Lexus has far more achorage in quality materials rather than just few authentic accent pieces. Not to mention it's a far more ergonomic and luxurious interior to the Zephyr's angular and course interior which is suitable only for photographs. And of course, the Lexus comes with a considerably superior chasis and drivetrain with a proven quality track record and resale value. I think the Zephyr looks better than the Lexus however, from the outside.

Edited by BORG

Very few of the critics actually drove the Zephy since the Fusion they all drove is roughly the same thing.

You do, of course, realize that the nominated vehicles were on display at the Auto Interiors show right there in your hometown of Detroit, right? And of course, you do realize that the actual driving dynamics of the vehicle would not factor into the judgment, right?

"the Lexus comes with a considerably superior chasis"

Yeah, right. In your dreams, maybe.

Just remember, the L in Lexus stands for "loser who can't afford a real Mercedess". lol

Sorry, just had to state that. I wonder when the MKZ with the 3.5l V6 and AWD comes out. Show blow the RL and TL out of the water.

I think the critics made their choice based on photographs instead of real world testing. Very few of the critics actually drove the Zephy since the Fusion they all drove is roughly the same thing.

The wood in the Zephyr looks better than the wood in the Lexus, but the Lexus has far more achorage in quality materials rather than just few authentic accent pieces. Not to mention it's a far more ergonomic and luxurious interior to the Zephyr's angular and course interior which is suitable only for photographs. And of course, the Lexus comes with a considerably superior chasis and drivetrain with a proven quality track record and resale value. I think the Zephyr looks better than the Lexus however, from the outside.

:finger: Borg where do you come up with this stuff?

And of course, the Lexus comes with a considerably superior chasis

No "of course" here.

The ES rides on a Camry chassis, and the Camry chassis hasn't gotten any accolades for years. It's a squishy willowy, wallowy, numb, floaty, Buick in the worst sense of the word chassis. My sister's '03 Camry had worse steering and a worse ride than my '00 Sable. Good Lord Borg, have you even DRIVEN one of these things? Or are you just parroting magazine articles?

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehicle_Re...183.A10318.html

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehicle_Re...183.A10029.html

You'll like this guy, he shares your opinions on the interior.

Ford Management: "We are getting such postive response to the Lincoln Zephr. It's selling beyond what we expected. Now the critics are honoring our baby Lincoln. People are associating the name with the orginal 'small' Lincoln, and not the Mercury Fairmount twin. To build on this success....let's change the name!! MKZ sounds so genetic and so similiar to the others at Lincoln, I'm sure we can get rid of this success that we've been having!"

:rolleyes:

In all fairness, do you think that many Zep buyers have even heard of either of the former Zeps?

To be honest, I think a few may remember the Merc. I doubt that people know the original Zep or its significance to the brand's history. My post was tongue-in-cheek and was trying to show the ignorance of the decision makers. The naming conventions for Ford’s domestic brands seem very foolish and restrictive, and should be relaxed. Ford has a hit with the Zepher, has gained brand equality with it. It seems a waste to introduce this car, then turn around and reintroduce the car with a new name.

Edited by 68Cougar

To be honest, I think a few may remember the Merc. I doubt that people know the original Zep or its significance to the brand's history. My post was tongue-in-cheek and was trying to show the ignorance of the decision makers. The naming conventions for Ford’s domestic brands seem very foolish and restrictive, and should be relaxed. Ford has a hit with the Zepher, has gained brand equality with it. It seems a waste to introduce this car, then turn around and reintroduce the car with a new name.

I don't think you get much brand equity with a new nameplate... You need a few years and a lot of happy customers to get brand equity. I'm not a huge fan of the name change, but I don't see it as being much of a detriment either.

Ford's real brand equity is in the Lincoln name. The name (thanks to all those limos) just reeks of posh luxury, and Ford is starting to build Lincolns to meet that image (instead of trying to change the image that three decades of "Mafia Staff Car" status have earned).

I really like the Zephyr and would consider one, but I do not think the design of the interior is very aesthetically pleasing. Purely opinion though. Still a nice car.

Have you seen it in different colors? I'm not a big fan of the maple/tan combo.

main_int_16.jpg

main_int_17.jpg

main_int_15.jpg

Edited by RichardJensen

I'm probably the only person in this discussion that will actually own a MkZ...but I will resent giving up the LS for THAT turd :P.

And no, I haven't driven the Zeph but I have driven the Milan. I've spent a lot of time close up with the Zephyr, inside and out.

The Zephyr is a million miles away from an LS, but the price reflects that somewhat.

Edited by BORG

I've grown to really like the looks of the Zephyr and the interior to boot. Now with all the updates coming out in the Mkz I'll probably buy one for my next car. The icing on the cake is that it is no longer called Zephyr. I used to own a Mercury Zephyr; friends nicknamed it "The Heifer". It was a cow of a car....big and slow with electrical problems.....

I was driving to work today and saw a newer looking celica. It started me thinking, how long have the Celica, Corolla, and Camry been around? My point is would it be smart to keep the same name and simply keep making improvements? Also, does anyone know how much it costs to continually update a product as opposed to introducing a new product?