Average wait time for Mustang?

docguinn

I just put in my order for 2011 Mustang (V6 Premium Kona Blue 3.31 man trannie). Any idea on average wait time til delivery?

A lot depends on your dealer's Mustang allocation. Our store finally received its 1st 2011 Mustangs (3 Premium GT's) less tahn a month ago. Two of the 2011 GT's were sold and delivered within 2 weeks leaving us with only one 2011 GT Premium Convertible and a 2010 GT Premium Coupe in stock. We have not had a V6 Mustang in stock since last year. Anyway, we did a new "wholesale" alocation agreement with Ford at the beginning of the month which was was allocation for September production. Ford offered us NO Mustangs for September production but we asked for 3 units to replace the 2 GT's that were sold and delivered and a 3rd unit to schedule a retail order for a 2011 GT Premium Coupe that a customer placed on July 29th. We got none of the allocation we asked for and are now forced to wait another month for allocation for October production. The worst part is that our retail customer is going to have his order in the Unscheduled Order Bank (USOB) for at least 6-8 weeks before we can even get the allocation and the vehicle scheduled. It's going to be at least a 12 week wait for the customer.

FYI... Dealer allocation for Mustangs is for V6 & GT's as long as there are no commodity issues preventing a particular order from being scheduled.

The handling of retail factory orders has been a topic on many message threads here. In the past couple of years Ford set up a "Retail Order Verification System" program for certain vehicle lines and models (Ford Fusion Hybrid, F-150 Raptor, etc) whereby retail orders were verified and the vehicles were scheduled on an expedited basis regardless of whether the dealer had allocation. Ford would solve a lot of customer and dealer frustration by implementing a similar system for ALL retail orders. As far as I'm concerned, they can't do this soon enough!

A lot depends on your dealer's Mustang allocation. Our store finally received its 1st 2011 Mustangs (3 Premium GT's) less tahn a month ago. Two of the 2011 GT's were sold and delivered within 2 weeks leaving us with only one 2011 GT Premium Convertible and a 2010 GT Premium Coupe in stock. We have not had a V6 Mustang in stock since last year. Anyway, we did a new "wholesale" alocation agreement with Ford at the beginning of the month which was was allocation for September production. Ford offered us NO Mustangs for September production but we asked for 3 units to replace the 2 GT's that were sold and delivered and a 3rd unit to schedule a retail order for a 2011 GT Premium Coupe that a customer placed on July 29th. We got none of the allocation we asked for and are now forced to wait another month for allocation for October production. The worst part is that our retail customer is going to have his order in the Unscheduled Order Bank (USOB) for at least 6-8 weeks before we can even get the allocation and the vehicle scheduled. It's going to be at least a 12 week wait for the customer.

FYI... Dealer allocation for Mustangs is for V6 & GT's as long as there are no commodity issues preventing a particular order from being scheduled.

The handling of retail factory orders has been a topic on many message threads here. In the past couple of years Ford set up a "Retail Order Verification System" program for certain vehicle lines and models (Ford Fusion Hybrid, F-150 Raptor, etc) whereby retail orders were verified and the vehicles were scheduled on an expedited basis regardless of whether the dealer had allocation. Ford would solve a lot of customer and dealer frustration by implementing a similar system for ALL retail orders. As far as I'm concerned, they can't do this soon enough!

It's beyond me why Ford would make ordering a Mustang such a tedious process. They're going to lose business if it keeps up. I don't care how loyal a consumer may be to a particuliar brand, if he/she gets jerked around enough, they'll move onto the next company that wants their money.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's beyond me why Ford would make ordering a Mustang such a tedious process. They're going to lose business if it keeps up. I don't care how loyal a consumer may be to a particuliar brand, if he/she gets jerked around enough, they'll move onto the next company that wants their money.

In this day and age, Ford should have a web page dedicated to each and every retail order. That way the purchaser could have a single place to go to be able to track the progress of their vehicle as it is being built and shipped.

Maybe not everybody would take advantage of this, but I have a 2011 GT/CS on order (VIN 1ZVBP8FF4B5148203) and I'd love to be able to know what is going on. I can't get any info on mine anywhere.

I think most people who order a vehicle are more prone to be really excited about their new vehicle, and would see something like this as an enhancement to the customer experience. It would also give Ford something that no other manufacturer has (at least as far as I know.)

Edited by mikesly
  • Like 2

Dealers are independent businesses and if you give more units to one dealer that means less units for another dealer and that's where the franchise laws start to kick in. The retail order verification system is the best solution because it sidesteps the allocation issue.

I believe if Ford was allowed to offer a factory ordering service where you order it directly from Ford and it gets built as soon as possible and sent to a local dealer for delivery at a reasonable (but not cheap) price - say $500 over invoice - that it would really take off. Of course every dealer in the country would have them in court before the first order could be built - and they'd win.

I believe if Ford was allowed to offer a factory ordering service where you order it directly from Ford and it gets built as soon as possible and sent to a local dealer for delivery at a reasonable (but not cheap) price - say $500 over invoice - that it would really take off.

This is exactly how the "courtesy delivery" system works for fleet customers. Among other things, it addresses the fact that an order may have multiple ship-to destinations for individual vehicles. Also, the Ford Fleet website in my sig has some excellent tools for fleet customers to track order status and the like.

It's a shame that non-FIN customers and the dealerships that serve them are constrained to the extent ice-capades described. :doh:

I just put in my order for 2011 Mustang (V6 Premium Kona Blue 3.31 man trannie). Any idea on average wait time til delivery?

My order was accepted on 8/3/10. I called the customer service number today, and was told that my car is scheduled to be at the dealer 9/19.

If that holds true, it will be about 7 weeks for me...

Edited by mikesly

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mustang Lovers.

I ordered mine July 7th. They stated here it would be at the dealership Sept. 7th. Then they changed it to Sept. 16th. Now it's changed again to Sept. 23rd. Well, since I have to wait so long, the dealership is going to wait too. I will pick my new car up Oct. 31st. They made me wait... I will make them wait for me to pick it up. Yes, so I can put it in storage. The service and info on the delivery of my car sucks!!

And I will NEVER order a vehicle from FORD again! So, plan on much longer then 10 weeks. More like 12-14 weeks! :banghead:

Hello Mustang Lovers.

I ordered mine July 7th. They stated here it would be at the dealership Sept. 7th. Then they changed it to Sept. 16th. Now it's changed again to Sept. 23rd. Well, since I have to wait so long, the dealership is going to wait too. I will pick my new car up Oct. 31st. They made me wait... I will make them wait for me to pick it up. Yes, so I can put it in storage. The service and info on the delivery of my car sucks!!

And I will NEVER order a vehicle from FORD again! So, plan on much longer then 10 weeks. More like 12-14 weeks! :banghead:

Buhbuhbuh, buh you whined about it that Ford didn't know who they were dealing with and you were going to RUSH RIGHT OUT and get a BMW5!....

LOL.. so we are to believe you and your posts?

Here is the problem that has been explained to you before and should be explained once again and what will probably happen:

THIS TRACKING is not supported nor done BY 'FORD' .. it's done out of the goodness of certain employees hearts. PERIOD.

AND it should cease, because this was why it is NOT DONE BY 'FORD'.. people think it's a right and then they demand everything associated with it, right down the the number of the rail car it's on, when it passed a certain crossing, ad nauseum.

It won't take cyberdman too much longer to give this up, just like viperpilot did.

A few days less than 8 weeks. Candy Red/Black premium interior. IN MY GARAGE NOW!!! First impressions. This is one really well built car. This coming from a former dealer . My trade was a 530i BMW. And yes I could have afforded a new one. This is going to be fun. 3.73's, exhaust, and maybe a tune. Wish I could have gotten 3.73's from the factory with AT. Let the fun begin!!!!

Ordered my GT July 9th, was told 4-6 weeks by my salesman. My car is finally scheduled to be built this week. So I'm probably looking at 13 weeks by the time I actually take delivery. But that still falls within the timeframe noted on Donlen's site. Doesn't matter, it'll be worth it!!! (I still REALLY can't wait though)

Buhbuhbuh, buh you whined about it that Ford didn't know who they were dealing with and you were going to RUSH RIGHT OUT and get a BMW5!....

LOL.. so we are to believe you and your posts?

Here is the problem that has been explained to you before and should be explained once again and what will probably happen:

THIS TRACKING is not supported nor done BY 'FORD' .. it's done out of the goodness of certain employees hearts. PERIOD.

AND it should cease, because this was why it is NOT DONE BY 'FORD'.. people think it's a right and then they demand everything associated with it, right down the the number of the rail car it's on, when it passed a certain crossing, ad nauseum.

It won't take cyberdman too much longer to give this up, just like viperpilot did.

Although viperpilot and cyberdman gave it a noble effort (and their efforts to go above and beyond the call of duty to satisfy customers should be commended, not admonished, by their company), theirs was destined for failure, simply due to the sheer volume of demand for a tracking service from Ford.

Like it or not, Critic, this is what the vast majority of CUSTOMERS WANT - a way to track their vehicles. UPS and FED EX manage it - and they deliver much more than large ticket items such as vehicles. Several other car companies manage it. Almost every aftermarket company I deal with offers product tracking. Hell, even USPS does it! I know that the Mustang forums I belong to are chock full of customers desperately trying to find out anything about their order.

Check this out: http://www.chevrolet.com/ordertracking/

Your competition is already getting the message. There's great demand for a service here and Ford will either fulfill it or suffer a loss of business.

Like it or not Ford will eventually be dragged kicking and screaming into the modern era of product tracking. It's what the market wants.

Edited by EaterofWorlds

Although viperpilot and cyberdman gave it a noble effort (and their efforts to go above and beyond the call of duty to satisfy customers should be commended, not admonished, by their company), theirs was destined for failure, simply due to the sheer volume of demand for a tracking service from Ford. Give just too much info and they constantly want just a little more.

Like it or not, Critic, this is what the vast majority of CUSTOMERS WANT - a way to track their vehicles. UPS and FED EX manage it - and they deliver much more than large ticket items such as vehicles. Several other car companies manage it. Almost every aftermarket company I deal with offers product tracking. Hell, even USPS does it! I know that the Mustang forums I belong to are chock full of customers desperately trying to find out anything about their order. Neither FED EX nor UPS nor USPS, produces any product that you order from and get delivered to a dealer whom you pay for the product.

Check this out: http://www.chevrolet.com/ordertracking/

Your competition is already getting the message. There's great demand for a service here and Ford will either fulfill it or suffer a loss of business. Your above referenced site offers nothing more than the same reply a dealer will give you with just a phone call.

Like it or not Ford will eventually be dragged kicking and screaming into the modern era of product tracking. It's what the market wants. Ford already does this, it's called checking with your dealer for current status.

Then you need to discuss it with Ford and not me or a few other people that work for them. Soon they will return to their regularly scheduled job that they get paid for.. This wasn't it.

• Like 1

1. I said cyberdman's and viperpilot's efforts were in vain because they alone could not satisfy the demand of thousands of consumers. I am not being critical of them in any way. They were only trying to satisfy consumers. They saw a need and tried to fulfill it. In fact, cyberdman and viperpilot are not the focus point of my post. I don't know why you think I'm hammering them.

2. True, UPS/FED Ex/USPS does not produce the products it tracks... however, this is an irrelevant piece of information. Why is it irrelevant? Because Ford already has this information available. It's only a question of releasing it to the concerned/interested consumer. If Chevy, BMW, Toyota, etc. can do it, so can Ford. There is no logistical/technological excuse.

3. Some dealerships don't bother to give updates... they feel it's Ford's duty to do so. So the customer bounces between the dealer and Ford CS. From the customer's perspective, they're being given the run-around by two parties that have information they desire concerning a purchase that's second only to purchasing a home. This creates an atmosphere of frustration and exasperation on the part of the consumer - an atmosphere a good business never wants to foster. Exasperation generally gives way to anger... and anger gives way to order abandonment/cancellations - a much more common occurance than you may think.

4. If dealerships were reliable/forthcoming with product tracking information, you would not see the deludge of tracking requests that you see here and on other Ford forums.

Now, you must ask yourself - what's easier for a company to accomplish - forcing thousands of dealerships across the country to comply with a product tracking mandate, OR creating a web site that gives product tracking access to consumers with a VIN #, allowing the consumer to check the status of his/her vehicle at their leisure?

Most car companies out there have already solved this problem. It's only a matter of time before Ford gets knocked on the head by enough complaints that they'll see the solution as well.

Personally, I believe Ford does not want to release this information because of market ignorance but due to the simple fact that their order/delivery system is in serious need of an overhaul, and they don't want the clusterf*** of a system they currently have put on display for all to see.

Edited by EaterofWorlds

2. True, UPS/FED Ex/USPS does not produce the products it tracks... however, this is an irrelevant piece of information. Why is it irrelevant? Because Ford already has this information available. It's only a question of releasing it to the concerned/interested consumer. If Chevy, BMW, Toyota, etc. can do it, so can Ford. There is no logistical/technological excuse.

UPS and FED EX manage it - and they deliver much more than large ticket items such as vehicles. Several other car companies manage it. Almost every aftermarket company I deal with offers product tracking. Hell, even USPS does it! I know that the Mustang forums I belong to are chock full of customers desperately trying to find out anything about their order. Neither FED EX nor UPS nor USPS, produces any product that you order from and get delivered to a dealer whom you pay for the product.

OK, here is the LOL :hysterical: :hysterical: I actually didn't include in your first reply to me.. AND if you would research the person I had written to, you'd find out he made an ass out of himself to the person doing his actual tracking..

GO WHINE TO FORD and not to me, or better yet, DO take it up with Cyberdman so he can just throw in the towel now. You got a big whopping 16 posts going on there for you now, your way ahead on this game. You and Escape777 need to compile that letter to Alan; you'll find his address in your owners manual.

My GT order went in the system July23rd. Build date was August 30th. I have not checked on a delivery ETA yet though. Better than when I ordered my '05 so far. It was ordered first week of November '04 and arrived 3rd week of Feb '05.

Update- It arrived on 9-16-10. 7 weeks from the order being accepted.