Chevy Cruze initial EPA Ratings

PREMiERdrum

LINK - LLN

The first model to receive EPA certification is the Cruze LS, powered by the base 1.8-liter Ecotec engine, producing 138 horsepower and 123 lb-ft of torque. The LS will be rated at an EPA estimated 22 city, and 35 highway when equipped with the six-speed automatic transmission, but jumps to 26 city, and 36 highway when paired with the standard six-speed manual transmission.

Jumping to the Cruze LT and LTZ models will see the replacement of the naturally aspirated 1.8-liter unit with a smaller, but turbocharged 1.4-liter Ecotec engine capable of an equal 138 horsepower, but an increased 148 lb-ft of torque. The EPA tested the LT and LTZ, paired with the standard six-speed automatic transmission, and achieved 24 city and 36 highway miles per gallon.

Edited by PREMiERdrum

typical GM, I remember specifically reading their pre-release propaganda several months ago touting 40 PLUS Mpgs.......I even think back then I mentioned they seemed to have pulled a page from toyotas book...over promise then underacheive....thank god Ford hasnt fallen into that trap...

Edited by Deanh

Isn't this what the current Focus is doing already?

rumours...and I stress RUMOURS, because it has NOT been officially confirmed...is the 2.0 2012 focus is attaining 40 mpgs...remains to be seen of course, and cudos for ford NOT publicizing anything with the capacity, as we see here, of supplying a royal plate of egg in the face!............another manufacturer to watch boasting and not delivering...Hyundai....they seem to be claiming some outrageous horsepower and MPG figures of late....PRIOR to production.....

Will the Cruze ECO be as invisible as the Fiesta HF (or what ever the 40 mpg Fiesta is called)?

The regulat Fiesta MPGs beats the regular Cruze though.

Ive acheived OVER 40 mpgs on a couple of jaunts.....and i did a banzai run over Ortega Highway over the weekend...sat between 4000 and 6000 ropms up the hill and back, drove like a madman, car is impressive, takes a set and carves corners very well....and thrashing the shite out of her averaged 35.4 mpgs.....

typical GM, I remember specifically reading their pre-release propaganda several months ago touting 40 PLUS Mpgs.......I even think back then I mentioned they seemed to have pulled a page from toyotas book...over promise then underacheive....thank god Ford hasnt fallen into that trap...

As alluded to elsewhere in the thread (but not clearly stated), the Eco trim hasn't been certified yet; that's the trim that's trying to get 40 MPG.

Isn't this what the current Focus is doing already?

The present Focus with 4 spd. auto is actually a little better with 2011 model getting 25mpg city and 34mpg highway. The new Focus is expected to beat those numbers. My prediction for 2012 Focus is 27mpg city and 37mpg highway with powershift 6 speed auto. Ford has easy number to beat in comparison to Cruze which are disappointing fuel mileage numbers. The Fusion I4 gets 23mpg city which even beats the new Cruze.

Will the Cruze ECO be as invisible as the Fiesta HF (or what ever the 40 mpg Fiesta is called)?

The regulat Fiesta MPGs beats the regular Cruze though.

The 40mpg Fiesta is rarer than the Fusion S if you ask me. But 29mpg city and 38 highway is nothing to sneeze at. And Focus 25 city and 34 highway is very good also. Chevy used to be fuel mileage king among the D3, but not anymore. Looks like Ford wants the number one spot in world. Fiesta and 2012 Focus are class leading. Fusion is not that far behind and very competitive at 23 city and 33 highway. Now Ford needs to get the Taurus up to 30 highway.

As alluded to elsewhere in the thread (but not clearly stated), the Eco trim hasn't been certified yet; that's the trim that's trying to get 40 MPG.

That's correct. GM is targeting 4Q 2010 for production of the Cruze Eco. GM's internal fuel economy ratings (not EPA certified) for this model are 27 mpg city, 40 mpg highway.

I knew it wouldn't get 40mpg. Oh well.....typical GM.

Only the Cruze Eco model was supposed to get 40mpg (highway), and its EPA numbers have not been announced.

The Cruze Eco will have the 1.4L turbo + manual; it will also add some aero bits but lose some sound insulation, the Z-link in the rear suspension, and the spare tire to save weight.

The Fiesta with the 40mpg EPA highway number is the SE trim automatic with the SFE (super fuel economy) package (larger tires and some aero stuff). For comparison:

Fiesta manual: 28/37

Fiesta automatic non-SFE: 29/38

Fiesta automatic SFE: 29/40

The Cruze Eco will probably be a very low volume model, since it uses a manual transmission, and GM historically and currently has the lowest manual take rate of any car company in the US that is not all luxury cars.

Edited by tjl