'11 F-150 EcoBoost: 365 hp, 420 lb-ft

I drove by one test vehicle a while back and they were driving like a grandma, leaving a stoplight ever so slowly, never going over 35-40 mph causing people to pass around. I went next to him at a stoplight and he didn't want to talk about the vehicle because he knew nothing about it, he only told me they pay him to drive around all day. The car had diagnostic equipment all over and cladding on the outside. IMHO, just racking up easy miles isn't a true test. Drive the vehicle aggressively and keep up with traffic.

Did you consider that he may have been doing fuel economy testing?

Parkave's story of Torque and Horsepower (7 below the Bacon pic) is pretty good too.

That is awesome. :)

Kudo's to parkave231 had to share this here;

I have a friend named Torque. He's a good friend of mine, and in the past we always shared plenty of laughs. Today, though, he's...changed.

Back when he was young, Torque was voted "Most Dependable" at Woodward Avenue High. When new people came, he was always there at the low end providing all the help he could to make sure everything went without a hitch.

But of course, like all of the "nerdy" kids in high school, Torque was always outshone by the football team's quarterback, Horsepower. HP, as most everyone called him, was much more showy. Sure, he wasn't as smart, and really didn't care to help you until the very top end of your range, but all the girls flocked to him since he had the looks.

So as my friend Torque grew up, he started to recede further and further from the limelight. Part of this is attributable to the fact that normal people didn't quite know what to make of him. When someone hears "Horsepower," they can instantly picture a horse pulling something heavy, and think of the sheer power involved. But when someone hears "Torque," they usually think of a skin disease or those funny-shaped screws.

Once Torque matured and entered the working world, he decided to go into the accounting department. HP, of course, ended up in "marketing." While HP always garnered the attention and adoration of the general public, Torque was down in the depths of the Power Company's organization. Occasionally he'd get one of those spot awards, earning him a gift certificate to Chili's. And every five years he'd get a $100 bonus for his tenure with the company. Torque still performed his job extremely well, and was always there to help out at the low end of every project. Torque always generated stellar performance numbers, but just like in high school, the cute girls flocked to HP.

At the Power Company, Torque worked closely with Pushrod, who was in the Power Delivery department. Pushrod worked just as hard as Torque, and the two formed a very close bond. Torque relied on Pushrod to make things happen, and Pushrod provided a stable system to deliver power to the customers.

One day, though, Pushrod came to Torque with some devastating news. "Well, my friend," he said, "I've just found out I'm being let go." "That's horrible!" said Torque. "What happened? It can't be your performance." "No," said Pushrod, "it's those greedy corporate marketing bastards. They've decided to outsource my job to the Overhead Cam Company in Hyderabad, India."

Torque knew what this meant for him, but tried to make the best of it. He remembered what had happened to other long-tenured employees such as Carburetor, Distributor, 8-Track, and the mail boy, Points. HP by this time was CEO of the company, his stature increasing every year as his numbers grew. HP said that nothing would change -- the customers would still get their power from the same Power Company, there would be no reduction in service, and the quality would still be the same.

It was rough at first. The OHC folks said they spoke English, but the accents were extremely heavy. Certain euphemisms and acronyms meant nothing to them. Torque found himself redoing, several times, the work he gave to the OHC people, since they would constantly lose it. Additionally, the customers weren't getting the same results from the lower-end output as they used to. But HP didn't care -- OHC was cheaper. His numbers were the biggest now, and the OHC folks would work into the very highest ranges without complaint.

Torque's numbers continued to remain strong, but he found himself working harder and harder, higher and higher in the power band, to keep up with HP. He began to lose more of his hair, and his stress level increased such that he is now on prescription medication for high blood pressure. But Torque continues to show up at the office every day, and works his butt off making sure that the India people don't screw things up too badly.

Torque ran into Pushrod the other day. He hadn't been able to find any work; nobody seemed interested in picking up someone so close to retirement. Kids on the street would say, "Hey, mister, aren't you Pushrod? You used to be a big star!" And he'd often reply, "I AM big. It's the engines that got small." Pushrod was fading away fast, remembered by a select few, the ones who you knew really cared about power delivery systems.

And Torque? Well, Torque has managed to hang on long enough to begin a renaissance. He always wondered whether he should have accepted an overseas assignment with the Diesel Power Company, but had too many family commitments to make that happen. Even though HP really didn't care about Torque, one day Torque was selected for a new unit in the Power Company -- the Forced-air Induction Department.

When I saw Torque last week, he looked a lot better than he had. He actually had a small grin on his face, and said his career had been given a boost he needed. Because his department was still relatively new, some of the long-time, heavy-duty power users were unsure of the viability of the department.

But so long as there are people like me willing to give the Forced-air Induction Department a chance, I have a feeling my friend Torque will do just fine in the coming years.

From those numbers, I think that the EB could almost be more reliable in towing situations. I tow a ~3000lb camper with my 05 Durango w/5.7l Hemi. On grades it downshifts, sometime two gears to maintain speed. On long grades, it'll spend several minutes at a time over 4k rpm. At times, I feel like I am being abusive just trying to keep at highway speeds. With all the torque the Ecoboost is making in the bottom of the powerband, it looks like you won't need to wring it out to get the power out of it like typical gasers. One of the reasons diesels are more durable is that they get the job done with a lot fewer revs over their lifetime. The Ecoboost has a torque curve that looks diesel like which over its lifetime, should see a lot fewer revs than a typical gas engine.

Also of note, the Ford 6.2 makes it peak torque of 434 ft-lbs at 4500rpm. The EB might not accelerate your trailer as fast as the 6.2, but I imagine it would feel a lot more relaxed while cruising.

From those numbers, I think that the EB could almost be more reliable in towing situations. I tow a ~3000lb camper with my 05 Durango w/5.7l Hemi. On grades it downshifts, sometime two gears to maintain speed. On long grades, it'll spend several minutes at a time over 4k rpm. At times, I feel like I am being abusive just trying to keep at highway speeds.

I tow a ~5500 lb camper with my 5.4 F150, and I don't think I've EVER seen 4000 RPM. I rarely go above 3k. But, of course, the 5.4L does have great low-end torque...not as good as the 3.5 EB though! :shift:

Edited by fordmantpw

This motor has been in farmers hands for over a year being tested. Who knows were else it's been tested.

Do you think Ford just found this motor in the corner last thursday and threw it in a truck?

It's time to start handing out a "Captain Obvious" award anytime the stupid "durability" card is played.

You get the sarcasm award. I'll remind you of some failures you seem to have forgotten...

The same Ford durability testing failed to catch the design flaw that caused the 2v 5.4L spark plug blowout failures...requiring expensive new cylinder heads because aftermarket thread repair inserts were not authorized by Ford.

After that black eye they failed to catch the spark plug break-off failures in the following generation 3v 5.4L..at least they went back and redesigned the 3v heads after 4 years of customer complaints.

Don't you think after all of those engines were tested for all of those miles they would have caught these problems. Or were they discovered too late in development and a decision was made to roll the dice to save money.

Just one more F-Series example...6.0L Powerstroke diesel. Like all the rest Ford said it was tested and ready for customers.

I hope the EcoBoost is the real deal, I really do. This is a new direction for gas truck engines and Ford needs to nail every detail this time.

You get the sarcasm award. I'll remind you of some failures you seem to have forgotten...

The same Ford durability testing failed to catch the design flaw that caused the 2v 5.4L spark plug blowout failures...requiring expensive new cylinder heads because aftermarket thread repair inserts were not authorized by Ford.

After that black eye they failed to catch the spark plug break-off failures in the following generation 3v 5.4L..at least they went back and redesigned the 3v heads after 4 years of customer complaints.

Don't you think after all of those engines were tested for all of those miles they would have caught these problems. Or were they discovered too late in development and a decision was made to roll the dice to save money.

Just one more F-Series example...6.0L Powerstroke diesel. Like all the rest Ford said it was tested and ready for customers.

I hope the EcoBoost is the real deal, I really do. This is a new direction for gas truck engines and Ford needs to nail every detail this time.

And you really don't think they learned from those mistakes? Really?!?

Playing the durability card is pure lazy.. " I can't think of anything else negative to say so I'l whip this tired old line out". It's like argueing with a bald guy and once you know your losing calling them a " bald bastard". Pure lazy with no imagination.

When you have one shred of evidence that this motor is less durable than any other feel free to pass the info on, otherwise spare us your lame quips.

Sarcasm? You wouldn't know sarcasm if I drove over you with it.

And you really don't think they learned from those mistakes? Really?!?

Playing the durability card is pure lazy.. " I can't think of anything else negative to say so I'l whip this tired old line out". It's like argueing with a bald guy and once you know your losing calling them a " bald bastard". Pure lazy with no imagination.

When you have one shred of evidence that this motor is less durable than any other feel free to pass the info on, otherwise spare us your lame quips.

Sarcasm? You wouldn't know sarcasm if I drove over you with it.

Clearly they did not learn, I gave the example. First generation 5.4 blows out spark plugs and the second generation plugs break off in the cylinder heads! You call that progress and learning! Really??

The only evidence you have that this engine is durable is the same testing those 5.4L engines went through.

Im not "playing the durability card" I'm looking at their track record.

And I'm not just trying to think of something negitive to say...if you read my post I said I hope the EcoBoost F-Series engine is a success and has a flawless launch. Goddamn you are dense.

Edited by F250

Clearly they did not learn

?

The problem initially cited was 'blown plugs', the second problem you cited was plugs breaking in half.

How is it that Ford 'didn't learn' when the second problem was different from the first and unrelated to the fix developed for the first?

??

Of course you're *not* trying to dredge up negative stuff..... (whatever)

Clearly they did not learn, I gave the example. First generation 5.4 blows out spark plugs and the second generation plugs break off in the cylinder heads! You call that progress and learning! Really??

The only evidence you have that this engine is durable is the same testing those 5.4L engines went through.

Im not "playing the durability card" I'm looking at their track record.

And I'm not just trying to think of something negitive to say...if you read my post I said I hope the EcoBoost F-Series engine is a success and has a flawless launch. Goddamn you are dense.

F250 I am with u 200% and u forgot the cam phaser issue and timing change tensioner issue and I will bet they knew about both with all of their famous testing and ran them out anyway, BTW I own an early build 04 5.4, I will give the 5.0 about a year then order one!

From those numbers, I think that the EB could almost be more reliable in towing situations. I tow a ~3000lb camper with my 05 Durango w/5.7l Hemi. On grades it downshifts, sometime two gears to maintain speed. On long grades, it'll spend several minutes at a time over 4k rpm. At times, I feel like I am being abusive just trying to keep at highway speeds. With all the torque the Ecoboost is making in the bottom of the powerband, it looks like you won't need to wring it out to get the power out of it like typical gasers.

just so people don't think I'm making this up, this is a quote from Autoblog's 2011 F150 engines intro article:

Dodge's Hemi engine, however, felt as if it had plenty of guts to get the job done (390 hp, 407 lb-ft), but part-throttle conditions, such as when maintaining a steady speed up a slight grade or changing lanes to pass slower traffic, caused the Ram's five-speed automatic to drop down a gear (and sometimes even two) when the EcoBoost and its six-speed would resolutely remain in its current ratio and pick up the called-upon speed.

The EB sounds like a great engine to tow with. I really want one in an Expedition.

Edited by jpvbs

just so people don't think I'm making this up, this is a quote from Autoblog's 2011 F150 engines intro article:

The EB sounds like a great engine to tow with. I really want one in an Expedition.

I didn't think you were making it up...just noting that all the complaining about the 5.4 not having any power, it tows better than the more powerful Hemi. Which, to me, is what is important in a truck engine.

?

The problem initially cited was 'blown plugs', the second problem you cited was plugs breaking in half.

How is it that Ford 'didn't learn' when the second problem was different from the first and unrelated to the fix developed for the first?

??

Of course you're *not* trying to dredge up negative stuff..... (whatever)

You missed the point.

Look, while engineering the new 3V 5.4L I'm certain one directive was to make sure the spark plugs did not blow out like the previous engine was known to do. No problem the 3V would have an all-new unique design and while testing none of them did, so far so good. But when all of those pre-production test engines were torn down for inspection the break off problem was discovered. At that point Ford could have re-designed the plugs with a stronger 1-piece shell or re-design the cylinder heads like they did 4-years later to prevent this...but they didnt. Why? Well the plugs are scheduled to be replaced at 100k miles...way beyond factory powertrain warranty and Ford ESP does not cover spark plug failures. Bottom line is Ford quickly figured the expense would be the customer's problem.

And those are just fact supported opinions of mine..that's me Mr.Negative...who happens to own a 3V 5.4L (bought brand new) and before that I bought a 2V 5.4L also brand new=real life new purchasing Ford truck customer.

Edited by F250

I honestly think that the EB F150 will be a winner. I have a twin turbo BMW that I would not trade for anything at the moment. The reason; torque. Similar to the EB 3.5 my TT makes peak torque from 1.5k through 5k RPM.

While peak torque in either case will not exceed a credible V8, it is the immediacy that inpresses...these direct injection gas turbos are amazing and relaxed. Like a turbo diesel without the weight, smell, and cost with a greater RPM range and sound quality.

For all those that wanted a half-ton diesel - the EB in my opinion is a superior way to go.

For all those that wanted a half-ton diesel - the EB in my opinion is a superior way to go.

I think you may be right, or at least close. The only real advantage to the diesel may be more torque and better fuel economy while towing. But, you would have to tow a LOT to make up for the price difference in towing fuel savings alone.

we've heard power and torque numbers, driving impressions, price, we're just missing fuel economy numbers. What does this engine need to get to be a 100% success? Baseline I guess is the 5.0L. To me, if it gets equal mpg to the 5.0L, it basically offers up increased torque, wider torque band without a hit to the fuel economy. That'd be pretty good, but to me, if it's gonna be a real success, its gotta get better mpg than the 5.0L.

we've heard power and torque numbers, driving impressions, price, we're just missing fuel economy numbers. What does this engine need to get to be a 100% success? Baseline I guess is the 5.0L. To me, if it gets equal mpg to the 5.0L, it basically offers up increased torque, wider torque band without a hit to the fuel economy. That'd be pretty good, but to me, if it's gonna be a real success, its gotta get better mpg than the 5.0L.

I think to be successful, it has to offer fuel economy equal to the V6. Ford promised V8 power with V6 fuel economy. It better deliver...

I believe the auto reviewer stated they were getting over 22mpg in mixed driving over hilly terrain with EB engine. That is impressive. My Taurus only gets 22mpg in mixed driving and sometimes 23mpg tops.

how much for an ecoboost f150?

I believe Ford stated that 5.0 V8 will be $1,000 option over standard 3.7L V6 and EB V6 will be $750 option over 5.0 V8. That is a lot less money than diesel and similar power numbers and sounds like impressive fuel mileage numbers. The auto reviewers seemed impressed with the EB power uphills and how it trans didn't constantly search for right gear like it did on 5.4L V8. Much more torque. The EB V6 has really found its home in an F-150. It will be interesting to see how many opt for the EB over the 5.0V8. I do have a feeling though that the 5.0 will sound a lot better and thus could garner more sales. Nothing like a high performance V8 at full song. Ford may need to fine tune the engine sounds on EB engines much more. If I had a choice between V8 Mustang and EB Mustang, I would always choose the V8 on sounds alone.