Honda Accord styling quirk

NickF1011

I was behind a current gen Accord while sitting in traffic today and I noticed just how awful the fit of the trunk lid was. It wasn't just a fitment issue, but it's the way the trunk lid is designed. The top edges of the trunk lid lay flat toward the front as it meets the rising C-pillar and doesn't lay flush. against the fender sheet metal. Then at the bottom of the deck lid, there is a noticable gap between the edge and the top of the bumper cover & trunk opening. The vehicle in front of me had a lot of dirt which had collected in that gap, making it extra noticable. It's really bad compared to previous generation Accords. Anyone else notice this before?

The trunk edge at the C-pillar is sort of noticable in this picture, but the one in front of me was white, which really made the gaps stick out more.

87143d1231413772-got-my-brand-new-2009-honda-accord-5-speed-t-rear-view.jpg

On this one, you can see more of the gap between the bottom edge of the trunk lid and the bumper cover.

mugen-honda-accord-rear.jpg

Just something I noticed today....

Speaking of ugly Hondas...

We just got a 2011 Odyssey here at work for one of out "undercover" units. In person, the thing is a God awful mess. Employees were gathered around it in the lot when I arrived today, just staring at it and shaking their heads. I'll try to grab some pictures tomorrow.

Speaking of ugly Hondas...

We just got a 2011 Odyssey here at work for one of out "undercover" units. In person, the thing is a God awful mess. Employees were gathered around it in the lot when I arrived today, just staring at it and shaking their heads. I'll try to grab some pictures tomorrow.

Yeah. They tried to go all "German" on it with the negative taper 'C' pillar and all. That's the part that cracks me up ('course I guess US auto makers have been trying - unsuccessfully - to play that card for years too .....). It is a styling mess I'll agree.

I don't find the Accord to be that offensive. In my mind, if it had a nip here and a tuck here, it could be a pretty good looking car. The past model was plain looking, but looked pretty decent overall. Build quality on these are still best in class in my mind. They run smooth, have good engines, and a solid feeling overall. I'd still rate it a little better than the current Fusion (I think the next Fusion/Mondeo will blow it away though). Also, as far as value goes, these things hold their's better than any other car I can think of.

That said, most of the rest of Honda's styling is atrocious. The new CRZ is hideous. New Fit is funky in a bad way. New Odyssey is about as bad as they come. Ridgeline is a joke. Element will give Medusa a run for her money. New CRV is about as ugly a CUV as they come. Sadly, nice vehicles like the S2000 are no longer being produced.

Honda better fix it's current styling funk or it's strong reputation will slowly vanish (some has already).

Edited by Chester

:hysterical:

Well, the entire car is quirky overall. The trunk lid just surprised me just how poorly it fit the opening it was designed for. I mean the rest might be ugly, but at least the engineering looks right.

I know, I thought he was going to say the whole thing!:hysterical:

I don't find the Accord to be that offensive. In my mind, if it had a nip here and a tuck here, it could be a pretty good looking car. The past model was plain looking, but looked pretty decent overall. Build quality on these are still best in class in my mind. They run smooth, have good engines, and a solid feeling overall. I'd still rate it a little better than the current Fusion (I think the next Fusion/Mondeo will blow it away though). Also, as far as value goes, these things hold their's better than any other car I can think of.

That said, most of the rest of Honda's styling is atrocious. The new CRZ is hideous. New Fit is funky in a bad way. New Odyssey is about as bad as they come. Ridgeline is a joke. Element will give Medusa a run for her money. New CRV is about as ugly a CUV as they come. Sadly, nice vehicles like the S2000 are no longer being produced.

Honda better fix it's current styling funk or it's strong reputation will slowly vanish (some has already).

You summed it up perfectly, Chester. I mentioned a while ago on BON Forums that Ford, with the 2010 Fusion, did a better job of creating a true successor to the excellent 7th gen NA Accord than Honda did. :hysterical:

NickF1011 - to take it a step further, if you were to open the trunklid of a 4 cylinder, 8th gen Accord, you'd encounter more unpleasant surprises. Among them: no lining of any kind on the underside of the trunklid, and cargo crushing gooseneck hinges.

NickF1011 - to take it a step further, if you were to open the trunklid of a 4 cylinder, 8th gen Accord, you'd encounter more unpleasant surprises. Among them: no lining of any kind on the underside of the trunklid, and cargo crushing gooseneck hinges.

Well, the lining I could really care less about. My Mustang doesn't have any either. :shrug: The gooseneck hinges though...ugh. They open very smoothly with minimal effort, but dang they take up a lot of space!

Well, the lining I could really care less about. My Mustang doesn't have any either. :shrug: The gooseneck hinges though...ugh. They open very smoothly with minimal effort, but dang they take up a lot of space!

Camry's have the gooseneck hinges too. The hinges on the Fusion are far better.

I was behind a Mazda 6 today, l fell asleep SSSsssssss,

Thanks for the entirely off topic insult. Duly noted. And I wish you did fall asleep. Maybe you'd run into a tree. Jackass.

MMMmmm Accords another boring dull thread.

Then why are you posting on it with your gigantic ugly signature?

Edited by NickF1011

I was behind a current gen Accord while sitting in traffic today and I noticed just how awful the fit of the trunk lid was. It wasn't just a fitment issue, but it's the way the trunk lid is designed. The top edges of the trunk lid lay flat toward the front as it meets the rising C-pillar and doesn't lay flush. against the fender sheet metal. Then at the bottom of the deck lid, there is a noticable gap between the edge and the top of the bumper cover & trunk opening. The vehicle in front of me had a lot of dirt which had collected in that gap, making it extra noticable. It's really bad compared to previous generation Accords. Anyone else notice this before?

The trunk edge at the C-pillar is sort of noticable in this picture, but the one in front of me was white, which really made the gaps stick out more.

87143d1231413772-got-my-brand-new-2009-honda-accord-5-speed-t-rear-view.jpg

On this one, you can see more of the gap between the bottom edge of the trunk lid and the bumper cover.

mugen-honda-accord-rear.jpg

Just something I noticed today....

Most Honda are squirk. Only exception is civic.