The Toyota RAV4 thread

DC Car Examiner

Driving for the week:

047fd2031ea507c7850c10878645f63e.jpg

Anything I should be looking for in particular?

More photos/info at link:

http://www.examiner.com/autos-in-national/a-week-the-2010-toyota-rav4-limited-introduction

too easy...anything in front of you in case you experience unintended "liftoff"...............sorry DC, felt the need. Seriously though, check for door slamming soliditty ( word? ) and road/ wind noise...mileage of course....

WTF is the deal with the grill? Thats HORRIBLE looking!

It's a mess, isn't it? That grille is exclusive to the Limited model.

too easy...anything in front of you in case you experience unintended "liftoff"...............sorry DC, felt the need. Seriously though, check for door slamming soliditty ( word? ) and road/ wind noise...mileage of course....

Right, I'll definitely be recording gas mileage. Wind and road noise aren't too bad (it's been hard to tell because it's been extremely windy in D.C. recently) but the engine is noisier than other Toyotas with the 3.5-liter. I'll play with the doors some more -- including the beloved swing-out cargo door -- but I don't remember anything tinny.

Anything you should look for?

How about a place for the spare tire - hanging it off the back of SUVs went out in 1990 - oh, I guess Toyota didn't get the memo...

Didn't you hear? The rear door mounted spare is part of Toyota's new STAR safety system.

In the event of an SUA event, the wheel will eject off the mount and act as an anchor, slowing the SUV to a manageable speed.

The swing-out rear door was, for us, a real deal-breaker. Tough to tailgate in a tight parking lot with that.

So we bought an Escape!

I actually did find an advantage to it: it barely fits in my garage, and letting it open about a foot to the side is more convenient than opening a foot upward.

(That's not to say the design was done for any reason but to accommodate the spare tire, of course, and it is by and large a clear downside.)

My mother had like an 06 or 07 and the noise inside the cabin was awful. Like really noteworthy. I wanted to say something but didn't want to piss her off. It was also a rattle trap coming from the cargo area in the rear.

Has that changed?

Mine didn't have any rattles, and each of the RAV4s I've driven has been among the quietest small SUVs. The 06/07 had a different 4-cylinder engine than the current models, so maybe it was noisier.