Autoblog reviews the 2011 MKX

LINK - AutoBlog

With Mercury dead, hundreds of former Lincoln-Mercury dealerships will be forced to rely on Ford's 93-year-old luxury brand to bring home the bacon alone. These dealers are nervous about their future, and rightfully so.

Every Lincoln on sale today is a gussied up version of a Ford. True, most mainstream automakers with luxury divisions, like Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura and Volkswagen/Audi, use a similar strategy of platform and technology sharing to save costs, but U.S. domestic automakers have never been particularly good at it. A Volkswagen is usually praised for being Audi-like, but a Lincoln is usually decried for being too similar to a Ford. Sharing can so easily become rebadging, and Lincoln dealers are wondering how they'll live off a lineup of simply "more expensive" Fords.

Ford's major advancement, however, is in the main LCD screen where it has redefined the user interface of infotainment screens. Gone are big, square buttons that lead you to screens with more big buttons. In their place Ford has colored-coded each of the screen's four corners where the system's aforementioned main functions are housed: Entertainment is the lower left red corner, Phone is the upper left orange corner, Navigation is the upper right green corner and Climate is the lower right blue corner. Each corner is always visible and displays a few lines of information about its current functionality, and no matter what you're looking at on the screen, navigating to one of these four main functions is as simple as touching the corresponding corner. It's ingenious, easy-to-use without cracking the owner's manual and shows that parent company Ford is the leading automaker in really thinking about how we use these systems when we drive.

What that $3,405 difference between our MKX tester and a similarly equipped Edge gets you is Lincoln styling and luxury. If you're willing to pay more for the association of driving a luxury brand rather than the more blue-collar Blue Oval, the MKX is a great choice for your CUV dollar. In fact, we'll go so far as to say its 2011 refresh, particularly the addition of MyLincoln Touch, takes the MKX from the bottom rung to right near the top of the luxury CUV segment. In the end, Ford's mistake was making its own version of this CUV a little too good, because the 2011 Lincoln MKX still feels like the best Edge money can buy.

If the big gripe about it is that it's too similar to the Edge, which we know will be addressed with new models (differentiation of MKT vs. Flex, MKS vs. Taurus), that's not a bad thing.

It's a great review: the sled runs superbly. With Ford's growing perception as a quality brand, the similarity of shared rooflines is not that big a problem, IMHO. Sure, a complete differentiation would be nice, but when you actually SEE one, it sure has a different presence from the Edge. :)

I think the RX itself is over played...I've been in one recently and it was laughable. The person really thought it was like the only Coke in the middle of the desert, WITH ice...And I'm pointing out some cheapening of items. And had wind noise inside that I think was not acceptable for such a vehicle. But its nice to see an Edge is quieter than the luxurious RX :)

The 18's always look way too small for the Edge and MKX, but I do miss the softer ride (just not the terrible handling). The 22's are sharp, but I would be terrified of driving those things in Michigan...and I would not want the yet firmer ride.

Edited by BORG

The 18's always look way too small for the Edge and MKX, but I do miss the softer ride (just not the terrible handling). The 22's are sharp, but I would be terrified of driving those things in Michigan...and I would not want the yet firmer ride.

Eh, there's still a decent sidewall on the 22's. The roads aren't amazing here in Maryland. Can you feel it when you hit a pothole? Sure. Is it going to damage the wheel? Probably not. The ride is pretty smooth too. Wasn't noticably worse than the Limited I drove with the 20's. Of course, I'm a fan of a ride a bit on the firmer side.

Eh, there's still a decent sidewall on the 22's. The roads aren't amazing here in Maryland. Can you feel it when you hit a pothole? Sure. Is it going to damage the wheel? Probably not. The ride is pretty smooth too. Wasn't noticably worse than the Limited I drove with the 20's. Of course, I'm a fan of a ride a bit on the firmer side.

If appearances weren't an issue, I'm not sure what I would prefer. The softer ride or the better handling...it's really an equal give or take. The 20's make for a substantially better handling car than the 18's, which would just cave in the corners unless you were more aggressive with the accelerator and pulled your tires into shape (assuming you could get the transmission to cooperate).

And the 22's scare me not just because of the roads, but the car wash rails and curbs which are not always impossible to avoid bumping *which I did in my 2007 MKX with the 18's*.

And the 22's scare me not just because of the roads, but the car wash rails and curbs which are not always impossible to avoid bumping *which I did in my 2007 MKX with the 18's*.

Yeah, I did unfortunately get my first case of curb rash on one of my wheels last week. :(

Fortunately, it appears to be pretty superficial and I have lots of experience with polishing aluminum now after I did the intake for my Cobra. :D

intake.jpg

Yeah, I did unfortunately get my first case of curb rash on one of my wheels last week. :(

Fortunately, it appears to be pretty superficial and I have lots of experience with polishing aluminum now after I did the intake for my Cobra. :D

intake.jpg

That's a purddy chunk of aluminum, the car attached to it must be something ;)

My Dad has a 2009 Ford Fusion with the 18" rims and has managed to avoid curb rash, I don't know how with those wheels. And then you get people like my sister who bent all 4-rims on her Focus ;)