Mercury Mariner - 29,912

Mazda CX-7 - 28,788

Kia Sportage - 23,873

VW Tiguan - 20,946

Jeep Compass - 15,894

Honda Element - 14,247

Nissan Juke - 8,639

Mazda Tribute - 3,637

For years there's been a mantra in the business about building crossovers to increase sales. I think these sales prove that you have to do more than just build it - it had better be a good vehicle too. Tucson, Patriot, CX-7, Sportage, Tiguan...they aren't really selling in any significant volume.

Midsize & Fullsize crossovers

Ford Edge - 118,637

Kia Sorento - 108,985

Chevy Traverse - 106,744

Honda Pilot - 102,323

Subaru Outback - 93,148

Toyota Highlander - 92,121

Hyundai Santa Fe - 76,680

GMC Acadia - 68,295

Buick Enclave - 55,426

Nissan Murano - 53,999

Dodge Journey - 48,577

Toyota Venza - 47,321

Ford Flex - 34,227

Mazda CX-9 - 28,908

Hyundai Veracruz - 8,741

VW Touareg - 4,713

Subaru Tribeca - 2,472

Again, same here as the compact crossovers - just because you build it doesn't mean people will buy it. Sales have really fallen for the Murano, I'm guessing that the Edge is seen as a better 2-row stylish midsize CUV. But GM is churning out more than 200K Lambda crossovers, so, if you make a good vehicle, people might recognize it.

EDITED to add Subaru Forester & Outback.

Edited by waymondospiff

There are four huge success stories here for Detroit. Ford Escape, Ford Edge, and GM Lambda and Equinox/Terrain. I'm sure Explorer will be up there next year.

Always gratified to see the Edge sales so high, especially for a vehicle with such a high MSRP.

Edited by BORG

There are four huge success stories here for Detroit. Ford Escape, Ford Edge, and GM Lambda and Equinox/Terrain. I'm sure Explorer will be up there next year.

The interesting thing to see will be where Mariner sales go. Combined Escape/Mariner would be #1, and Equinox/Terrain #2. I could see E/T outselling Escape alone next year, and it will be interesting to see what happens when the new Escape arrives. CX-7 does better for itself than I'd have thought, and the Tribute should be put out of it's misery. I wonder if the CX-5 will be a Tribute replacement, whether it will be built along side the Escape, and how Mazda could justify both a CX-5 and CX-7 (5, 7, and 9 seem one too many)

Edited by sullynd

While I agree you have to produce a solid vehicle and market it well, the sales don't really reflect some of the better Mid and Full size crossovers. The Hyundai Veracruz and CX9 are leaps and bounds better than the GM Lamdas. The Enclave is the only one close to the CX9 but still falls short in the drive experience. Unfortunately Ford's diminished role with Mazda will probably mean no Ecoboost for the refreshed CX9. That is the one piece from keeping it from selling better.

I'd like to see the Flex refreshed, as I'm not sure why it doesnt sell better, especially with the Ecoboost motor.

Mariners were fleeted out, so the rental companies will get bargain priced final runs of the current Escape.

You sure about that? They didn't have to worry about resale with those Mariners, either. The Escape is a fairly high-fleet unit anyways (corporate cars, Gov't, and rental), but I wouldn't expect them to dedicate as much to fleet as they did the Mariner.

Well, when annonced that Merc was dying, Ford stated that most sales were to rental fleets. Where will Mariner owners go? Ford or Lincoln.

Mercury is dead with Edsel, sayonarra!

And Ford also announced a substantial drop in daily rental sales in their December release, so it doesn't appear as though they're interested in keeping those "customers."

After seeing some of these sale figures, the Flex's sale look pretty good considering the higher MSRP. I didn't know how badly the Tribute sold, I'm sure they put marketing money because the CX7 since it costs more. The Tribute will be dropped and a Kuga-clone with CX5 will be phased in. Tribeca is a joke.

And of course, I appreciate the time it took to compile this list, it helps in taking other sales into consideration and how the competition is doing.