MyFord Touch Bugs and Flaws

I'm starting this thread to help me keep track of the new bugs I encounter every day with the my Ford Touch system. I'll add new posts when the new ones crop up. This is just to help communicate why I'm so dissatisfied with the system.

Just to get me started.

Boot time: My Ford Touch system is unresponsive when starting the car, I have to wait 30-seconds or longer before the touch panels controls will work, the physical buttons work however.

Back-up Camera: Intermittently cuts out when in reverse and often fails to engage for a few seconds, especially after just starting the car.

Back-up Camera: Failed to turn off when putting the car in neutral at the car wash, meaning I lost control of all climate and head-unit functions during that time. Failed to turn off again when placed into drive until I strted moving faster than 5mph. At least I got to see the car wash in the camera!

Back-up Camera: Half the time the top-quarter of the camera image appears on the bottm of the display.

Voice Command: While in Dual Climate Mode, asking the system to set the temperature to 72 instead caused the system to revert both zones to 70 degrees, the previous setting for the driver, this despite verbally confirming the temperature setting of 72. Bizzare!

BlueTooth Stereo: Faills to reconnect to my iPhone 4 after the car is turned off, however the older Sync systems still work normally.

Media: With the USB connected, the car frequently starts playing back audio from the USB device about a minute after starting the car, even if the the alst activity was Radio or Sirius Sat.

Right LCD Screen: Often fails to return to the last setting when restarting the car.

UI Render Flaw: Only happened once so far, but part of the homescreen quadrant layout overlay failed to clear, appearing over the display no matter what activity you were doing, from Navigation to Climate. The only way to clear it was to restart the car.

Voice Command: Slow or non-responsive within 2-minutes of starting the car. Pushing the voice command button sometimes brings you a long delay or nothing at all. On one occassion, the system hung-up and was non-responsive, requiring a restart.

Design Flaw: In order to stablize your hand to make a selection on the panel, I frequently tap the emergency flasher button just below.

This is just a tip of the iceberg, I've exerperienced countless others which just left me doubting who screwed up, me or the system...most likely the system.

Edited by BORG

Did you or did you not get the update that's been available for at least 2 weeks?

I tried, but the update failed so they sent me home and will call me back when Ford releases a fix...and that's another thing I'm very disatisfied about...going to he dealership multiple times to get this potentially fixed. And boy if this doesn't fix the problems, I'm not going to be quiet about it.

I tried, but the update failed so they sent me home and will call me back when Ford releases a fix...and that's another thing I'm very disatisfied about...going to he dealership multiple times to get this potentially fixed. And boy if this doesn't fix the problems, I'm not going to be quiet about it.

So why is it that most other dealers aren't having a problem with the update? 2 people got it yesterday. It's your dealer, not Ford, and it seems stupid to complain about things that are already fixed just because your dealer can't get it installed for you.

So why is it that most other dealers aren't having a problem with the update? 2 people got it yesterday. It's your dealer, not Ford, and it seems stupid to complain about things that are already fixed just because your dealer can't get it installed for you.

From what I understand, not all of the problems are fixed with the update.

And the update failed at Ford's end.

[

I have a 2011 Taurus, though, obviously, not the MyTouch. Just curious: Since my electronic suite of Sync gear is also not instantly responsive when starting the car, back-up camera occasionally cuts out/fails to engage (one time, it came on but the image was upside down!), Sync voice command is often slow or non-responsive shortly after starting the car and the iPhone/USB setup is a continual process of resetting/rebooting....anyway, I'm wondering how much of this is MyTouch versus issues also evident in Sync? Also--and I haven't sprung for one yet--I was wondering if your iPhone 4 consistently works as a USB-controlled iPod through Sync?

This all reminds me of the message I got from HP when their printer refused to communicate with my new Windows 7 laptop. The message from HP's tech support was something like, " you have chosen to participate in a leading edge deployment of technology and should anticipate some delays as compatibility issues are resolved." 6 months later, HP finally deployed the driver to make my printer work again.

I'll compare your experiences with my own.

Boot time: My Ford Touch system is unresponsive when starting the car, I have to wait 30-seconds or longer before the touch panels controls will work, the physical buttons work however.

Not immediate on mine, but usually works fine within 8-9 seconds.

Back-up Camera: Intermittently cuts out when in reverse and often fails to engage for a few seconds, especially after just starting the car.

Has happened to me once, and only once.

Back-up Camera: Failed to turn off when putting the car in neutral at the car wash, meaning I lost control of all climate and head-unit functions during that time. Failed to turn off again when placed into drive until I strted moving faster than 5mph. At least I got to see the car wash in the camera!

Doesn't seem to be a problem on mine.

Back-up Camera: Half the time the top-quarter of the camera image appears on the bottm of the display.

Worst I got was a scrolling image once that looked like an old TV with the V-Hold adjusted improperly. Again, has only occurred once.

Voice Command: While in Dual Climate Mode, asking the system to set the temperature to 72 instead caused the system to revert both zones to 70 degrees, the previous setting for the driver, this despite verbally confirming the temperature setting of 72. Bizzare!

Can't really comment too much on this one, since I don't adjust my temperature often and don't use the dual zone since I'm the only one in the car most of the time. I have successfully changed the temperature using voice commands though, just playing around with it.

BlueTooth Stereo: Faills to reconnect to my iPhone 4 after the car is turned off, however the older Sync systems still work normally.

No experience with this one. Don't use the BT Stereo on my Droid.

Media: With the USB connected, the car frequently starts playing back audio from the USB device about a minute after starting the car, even if the the alst activity was Radio or Sirius Sat.

Similar issue with mine a couple of times, only it will fail to play the USB device and instead revert to radio. Kind of a flip-flop of yours. Seems to be better more recently though.

(Cont'd next post)

Right LCD Screen: Often fails to return to the last setting when restarting the car.

Only thing mine will do is display the audio select list instead of displaying which audio is actually selected. Only takes one tap on the steering wheel to go back to where it was. Somewhat annoying, but really not much of a big deal to me.

UI Render Flaw: Only happened once so far, but part of the homescreen quadrant layout overlay failed to clear, appearing over the display no matter what activity you were doing, from Navigation to Climate. The only way to clear it was to restart the car.

Never had this happen on mine.

Voice Command: Slow or non-responsive within 2-minutes of starting the car. Pushing the voice command button sometimes brings you a long delay or nothing at all. On one occassion, the system hung-up and was non-responsive, requiring a restart.

Have experienced this once or twice. Haven't ever had it lock up entirely though. Sometimes it will chime, but not give the "Say a command" prompt afterward.

Design Flaw: In order to stablize your hand to make a selection on the panel, I frequently tap the emergency flasher button just below.

This one I completely agree with -- I had the same complaint in my Mazda6 about that. Why not just put the hazard switch above the display? Of course, that's not really related to MyFord Touch at all.

Seems I am experiencing many of the same issues you are, only mine either happen a lot less frequently or I have a much more patience and don't find as much reason to complain about it. :lol:

[

This all reminds me of the message I got from HP when their printer refused to communicate with my new Windows 7 laptop. The message from HP's tech support was something like, " you have chosen to participate in a leading edge deployment of technology and should anticipate some delays as compatibility issues are resolved." 6 months later, HP finally deployed the driver to make my printer work again.

That happened to me too.

-----

Back on topic - I wonder if these MFT issues are the fault of Ford, Microsoft, both, or neither.

Isn't there a setting called "rear camera delay" which can be turned on and off? My 2010 with Nav and backup does the same thing when this setting is "on"

I don't think that you posting your issues every week on this forum, while they are legitimate, is very constructive until you get to the dealer for the current update. If your dealer can't handle this for you, find another dealer. Complaining about the system when you don't have the current software is just stirring the pot.

" It's stupid to complain about things that are already fixed, just because your Dealer can't get it installed for you " WTF ! Who should he complain about then. He buys a FORD made by FORD from a FORD dealer.

Isn't there a setting called "rear camera delay" which can be turned on and off? My 2010 with Nav and backup does the same thing when this setting is "on"

Yup. I keep the delay turned on, so the camera won't occasionally flip on momentarily when dropping from P to D if I don't do it fast enough.

I encountered some variation of these issues in the 2011 Edge Limited I drove last October.

" It's stupid to complain about things that are already fixed, just because your Dealer can't get it installed for you " WTF ! Who should he complain about then. He buys a FORD made by FORD from a FORD dealer.

Then he should complain about his DEALER not being able to get the update, not continue to complain about things that Ford has already fixed. It's also fair to complain that Ford released MFT with too many bugs and they didn't properly prepare the dealers to handle the software updates.

Back on topic - I wonder if these MFT issues are the fault of Ford, Microsoft, both, or neither.

Some of the problems may be related to the OS or 3rd party software they're using but it's my understanding that Ford contractors wrote the MFT user interface code and that they were working very closely with Microsoft to resolve the issues.

In my world that makes Ford responsible since they did the development and it's their responsibility to manage the OS and 3rd party software vendors.

Let's just hope Ford doesn't end up with something that equates to Patch Tuesday.

You said that in jest but I suspect that will happen. Applications, operating systems, etc. are constantly being updated and "stuff will happen" as they say. Look at computers, both Windows 7 and Mac OSX are "mature" operating systems, that are pretty reliable, but still need to be tweaked to deal with the ever-changing computer environment. Smart-style car systems will probably be no different.

You said that in jest but I suspect that will happen. Applications, operating systems, etc. are constantly being updated and "stuff will happen" as they say. Look at computers, both Windows 7 and Mac OSX are "mature" operating systems, that are pretty reliable, but still need to be tweaked to deal with the ever-changing computer environment. Smart-style car systems will probably be no different.

Well, I wouldn't really mind it at all if there was a more fluid way to perform the updates as it there is on a PC OS. MyFord Touch/Sync allows for Wi-Fi connectivity. If there was a way to allow it to auto-update when connected to Wi-Fi instead of having to use a USB stick or having the dealer do it, then that would be great.

Yup. I keep the delay turned on, so the camera won't occasionally flip on momentarily when dropping from P to D if I don't do it fast enough.

Nick, in my 2010 this setting is for when you put it in "R" to activate the camera, then put it in any other gear, the camera will delay turning off until you hit 5 MPH in drive.

Otherwise, with the setting off, the camera should go away immediately after you shift out of "R"

Well, I wouldn't really mind it at all if there was a more fluid way to perform the updates as it there is on a PC OS. MyFord Touch/Sync allows for Wi-Fi connectivity. If there was a way to allow it to auto-update when connected to Wi-Fi instead of having to use a USB stick or having the dealer do it, then that would be great.

Dealer trips would be equivalent to service packs while patch Tuesday would equate to monthly or quarterly user-supplied USB updates. Remember that the actual MFT software itself is being done by Ford contractors, not Microsoft.

Nick, in my 2010 this setting is for when you put it in "R" to activate the camera, then put it in any other gear, the camera will delay turning off until you hit 5 MPH in drive.

Otherwise, with the setting off, the camera should go away immediately after you shift out of "R"

Hmm. I'll have to look at that again. Maybe I just misunderstood what it actually does. If that's what it does, I'll turn it off.

I'm a dealer and I drive an Edge Ltd for a demo. My system totally failed. First the My Touch would boot slowly. Then not at all. The whole screen went blank. Been in service for nearly a week. If I were a customer I would be livid. Parts ordered that didn't fix problem (new screen and new module behind screen). Multiple calls to engineering. This is a very difficult system to repair. If this a trend then I say ditch it and try something else. I don't find it that much better than the old sync/nav combo anyway.

I don't think that you posting your issues every week on this forum, while they are legitimate, is very constructive until you get to the dealer for the current update. If your dealer can't handle this for you, find another dealer. Complaining about the system when you don't have the current software is just stirring the pot.

This is correct - there's the delay setting, which I also use, that as stated leaves the camera on until you go 5+ mph.

Actually, technically he bought a LINCOLN made by FORD from a LINCOLN dealer..... :P :lol:

I'm a dealer and I drive an Edge Ltd for a demo. My system totally failed. First the My Touch would boot slowly. Then not at all. The whole screen went blank. Been in service for nearly a week. If I were a customer I would be livid. Parts ordered that didn't fix problem (new screen and new module behind screen). Multiple calls to engineering. This is a very difficult system to repair. If this a trend then I say ditch it and try something else. I don't find it that much better than the old sync/nav combo anyway.

Thanks for recounting your experience from a dealership's perspective, campbell53. I definitely agree with your recommendation - actually I would say that the Xanavi/Clarion nav system + SYNC is a far better design.