6.7 cummins 19mpg city

rider56AK

my dad had an 2006 dodge 6.7 cummins 3500 megacab that got 19 mpg in the city. completely stock. how is this possible?? and why arent more companies after an engine that can do this. -his new 2010 6.4L f350 gets 10.5 mpg. and about 9.9 in 4wd. my 06 5.4L f-150 gets 10 mpg city and my sisters 02 4.2L explorer gets 11mpg..SOMEHOW, i mean thats the same mpg as a big expedition with a bigger engine and its a bigger truck completely.

why cant ford build more fuel efficient vehciles?

First, that's 'anecdotal' city, not 'EPA city'--it can't be compared with any other anecdotal mileage--or with EPA ratings.

Secondly, 2006 was (IIRC) the last year you could sell dirty diesels. In either 2007 or 2008, standards were changed mandating the DPF and NOx reductions--and leading to significantly lower mileage from diesels.

Edited by RichardJensen

First, that's 'anecdotal' city, not 'EPA city'--it can't be compared with any other anecdotal mileage--or with EPA ratings.

Secondly, 2006 was (IIRC) the last year you could sell dirty diesels. In either 2007 or 2008, standards were changed mandating the DPF and NOx reductions--and leading to significantly lower mileage from diesels.

whats the difference? and either way 19 mpg in the winter time is good. ford nor chevy could even go near that with any big truck.

whats the difference? and either way 19 mpg in the winter time is good. ford nor chevy could even go near that with any big truck.

The difference between 'anecdotal' and EPA testing? Plenty. So much so that it's not worth my time to explain it.

The difference between diesels pre- and post- DPF & SCR? Ask the man that owns one. I've seen estimates of a 20-30% reduction in fuel economy with the DPF/SCR equipped vehicles.

Driving style will also alter fuel economy dramatically. I never really noticed how much until I started looking at the fuel consumption on my Edge. Just a couple MPH on the highway can make up to a 3-4 mpg difference. The difference becomes even greater when changing acceleration habits in city driving.

It really is crazy. I know peoples big ass broncos that can get as high as 20mpg highway with the right engine tuning/tire combos/mods ect...and that's on a 5000lb brick. The new explorer gets what, 25mpg? And it only took Ford 15 years to up their mpg.

the new explorer isnt really a truck tho like these older ones. its more of a crossover. and i think ford did that cause they realized that no one was using it for what is was made for. your wife doesnt need a v8 to drive around town and pick up the kids from soccer practice!

the new explorer isnt really a truck tho like these older ones. its more of a crossover. and i think ford did that cause they realized that no one was using it for what is was made for. your wife doesnt need a v8 to drive around town and pick up the kids from soccer practice!

Yeah no kidding. My GF has a big Chevy 1500, and besides putting some dumbass friend of hers in the bed, going off-roading once (and getting stuck) the most she's ever really hauled in it has been her summer tires.

I'm not entirely guilt-free of this either, I haven't hauled anything in the year of owning my bronco, Hell I just finally got the rear tailgate window fixed. Sucks because I really could have used it a while back, and now that it's fixed, nothing. Eventually once it's back in good shape I'll get it into some mudd though...

Until then though, I'm desperately wanting something smaller, like a cheap focus or neon.

Still would be nice if Ford offered something for the serious off-roaders, even if it was just a niche, small production vehicle.

Yeah no kidding. My GF has a big Chevy 1500, and besides putting some dumbass friend of hers in the bed, going off-roading once (and getting stuck) the most she's ever really hauled in it has been her summer tires.

I'm not entirely guilt-free of this either, I haven't hauled anything in the year of owning my bronco, Hell I just finally got the rear tailgate window fixed. Sucks because I really could have used it a while back, and now that it's fixed, nothing. Eventually once it's back in good shape I'll get it into some mudd though...

Until then though, I'm desperately wanting something smaller, like a cheap focus or neon.

Still would be nice if Ford offered something for the serious off-roaders, even if it was just a niche, small production vehicle.

well thats just it. most of the people who buy trucks dont need them at all. they think they need a big 1 ton, diesel to haul a couple of four wheelers. i always hate listening to people brag about the MASSIVE 800 lbs they towed with their souped up f-350. its completely unecesary and looks retarded seeing a big lifted truck pulling a tiny little load. . haha im guilty too cause i have f-150 and the most i ever haul is a few of my dads fourwheelers a couple times a year. other than that i really dont need a truck except its nice to have in the winter and to get around on the shitty alaskan roads. i just like to have all that power. and plus i got it for a decent price..

The difference between 'anecdotal' and EPA testing? Plenty. So much so that it's not worth my time to explain it.

The difference between diesels pre- and post- DPF & SCR? Ask the man that owns one. I've seen estimates of a 20-30% reduction in fuel economy with the DPF/SCR equipped vehicles.

Not to mention lots of people can't figure their mileage properly. I have an aquaintance who always bitched about the mileage in his f150. He was guesstimating his milege since his odometer was broke the entire time he had the truck.

• Like 1

I tried to find an EPA figure, but "Heavy trucks aren't rated for fuel usage, but during a one week test drive I averaged 15 mpg in combined city and highway driving."

So I guess we'll be getting fish storied for all of them. You could post a pic of a digital readout from the Dodge's dashboard.

http://trucks.about.com/od/2006dodgeramtrucks/fr/3500_ram.htm

There isn't a 4.2 (anything) Explorer 2WD in 2002. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm but between all engines/trans worst/best it's13-20 MPG.

Your 06 should be around 13-18 http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

That's Empirical evidence. But even other anecdotal evidence says you should be getting much better MPGs (14.3)

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=mpgData&vehicleID=22192&browser=true&details=on

IMHO the new Explorer's 25 MPG (V6) or 30? MPG (EB4) is excellent. If you do enough idling you could get 10 MPGs here too I suppose.

Heard of the Raptor?

Oh right, I forgot about that. Still, it's basically an F-150. I don't really want another big ole truck. And old bronco, or Bronco 2 size vehicle is more what i'm looking at. Escape sized? An escape variant would be perfect despite the whole crossover thing. That said though, aren't cherokees frameless? And a lot of people take them off-road. Idk how, I just would love if they did something smaller.

That's damn AMAZING considering the crossover escape V6 only gets 18-20mpg city and 25ish highway...

But yet I can personally pull down numbers at least 2-3 MPG better then that in the 2010 Escape I've driven.....its all andinotal..hell people where hypermilling the new Diesel Ford has and getting near 30 mpg with it!

my dad had an 2006 dodge 6.7 cummins 3500 megacab that got 19 mpg in the city. completely stock. how is this possible?? and why arent more companies after an engine that can do this. -his new 2010 6.4L f350 gets 10.5 mpg. and about 9.9 in 4wd. my 06 5.4L f-150 gets 10 mpg city and my sisters 02 4.2L explorer gets 11mpg..SOMEHOW, i mean thats the same mpg as a big expedition with a bigger engine and its a bigger truck completely.

why cant ford build more fuel efficient vehciles?

As stated before, 2007 was the year the EPA clamped down on the diesels.

Either way, I frequent a few diesel forums, and no one has ever stated they came anywhere near 19mpg city with their 6.7L Cummins. With the old 5.9L Cummins, it was a lot more possible, but the 6.7L I have a hard time believing it truly got 19mpgs. Too many Dodge owners complaining on these sites about the horrible mpgs from the 6.7L. If this was done by the on-board computer, rather than by hand, I could see how you received such a high (inaccurate) reading.

My 2006 F150 Screw 4x4 5.4L brings home an average of 14-15mpgs on strictly city driving. If I get into it, I can drop to 12mpgs, but have never brought home 10mpgs, except when running E85 and getting into the go pedal.

Looking at the mpgs you posted, I'd either have to say 1) All you Fords must have an issue (unlikely unless you are poor at your maintenance schedule), 2) You family needs to learn how to drive better, 3) Need to learn how to accurately calculate your mpgs or 4) all those Ford mpgs posted are BS.

Edited by V8-X

Either way, I frequent a few diesel forums, and no one has ever stated they came anywhere near 19mpg city with their 6.7L Cummins. With the old 5.9L Cummins, it was a lot more possible, but the 6.7L I have a hard time believing it truly got 19mpgs. Too many Dodge owners complaining on these sites about the horrible mpgs from the 6.7L. If this was done by the on-board computer, rather than by hand, I could see how you received such a high (inaccurate) reading.

My 2006 F150 Screw 4x4 5.4L brings home an average of 14-15mpgs on strictly city driving. If I get into it, I can drop to 12mpgs, but have never brought home 10mpgs, except when running E85 and getting into the go pedal.

Looking at the mpgs you posted, I'd either have to say 1) All you Fords must have an issue (unlikely unless you are poor at your maintenance schedule), 2) You family needs to learn how to drive better, 3) Need to learn how to accurately calculate your mpgs or 4) all those Ford mpgs posted are BS.

the mpg from the dodge was done from the built in computer thing in his truck. but idk if he ever tested it by hand. and he also drives like an old grandpa and over doesnt even go over 55 on the highway in the winter. and well youre lucky that you can get 14-15 cause i just tested another tank of gas in my f-150 and im still getting 10mpg. i dont ever go over 2000 rpms and i still get shit gas mileage. i let it warm up for about 10 minutes cause right now its been from -5F to 20F above. but i bought the truck in the fall when it wasnt cold and it was getting horrible too. it cant even make it to 300 miles to the tank. im averaging about 270 before the fuel light comes on. im not poor at maintaining it either just got a check up and its perfectly fine..only has 44k miles on it. my sisters explorer tho gets pretty shitty too. but its an explorer so thats what we were expecting when we bought it? what should i do about my f-150 take it back to the chevrolet dealer and complain that something might be wrong with it? i have a 50,000 warranty on it from them or should i bring it to a ford dealer? any help will be appreciated

I tried to find an EPA figure, but "Heavy trucks aren't rated for fuel usage, but during a one week test drive I averaged 15 mpg in combined city and highway driving."

So I guess we'll be getting fish storied for all of them. You could post a pic of a digital readout from the Dodge's dashboard.

http://trucks.about.com/od/2006dodgeramtrucks/fr/3500_ram.htm

There isn't a 4.2 (anything) Explorer 2WD in 2002. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm but between all engines/trans worst/best it's13-20 MPG.

Your 06 should be around 13-18 http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

That's Empirical evidence. But even other anecdotal evidence says you should be getting much better MPGs (14.3)

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=mpgData&vehicleID=22192&browser=true&details=on

IMHO the new Explorer's 25 MPG (V6) or 30? MPG (EB4) is excellent. If you do enough idling you could get 10 MPGs here too I suppose.

he sold the dodge for a 2010 powerstroke :) but you will have to take my word for the 19 mpg. thats what it said. i didnt believe it either. i got to drive it around when he was on vacation and it dropped to 16mpg haha i rallied it everywhere. it was fun and fast diesel but horrible interior layout. it felt funny driving it, the mirrors sucked, and had blind spots like no other but it was great! as long as you drove it in a straight line and you didnt have to look out your side windows! the explorer could be a 4.6, whatever it is. its a v8 thats all i know.

I have a '05 F-350. 6.0L PSD, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Dually. I can honestly say that according to the on-board calculator, I got 25 MPG driving through a city.

Now I admit that it was a small city.. maybe more like a country town... and I was able to hold a steady 45-48 MPH for 8 miles and never had to stop during the calulation.... reguardless... I did get 25 MPG during the calculation period.

:reading:

07 and newer diesels SUCK the fuel. They changed some stuff for '11 so we'll see.

I look at it like what happened to gas engines in 72. In 71 a bigblock had 375hp and got 10mpg. In '72, they lowered compression, added a crap load of emission shit, and changed from gross to net hp ratings. Then, the same bigblock in 72 got 202hp and 5-8mpg.

Diesels happened the same way in 07. Why do you think dodge went from 5.9 to 6.7? The 5.9 covered in smog shit was weaker than a 4cyl! Give it a few years and like gassers, diesels will start to really get crazy with efficiency.

Oh, and my old 7.3IDI with 656,000km's on it get 25mpg on the highway/almost same driving slower or "city" and about 23mpg on the highway running furnace oil or waste oil or whatever the hell else I dump in it. :hysterical:

I'm calling BS. Dodge didn't sell the 6.7 in 2006. He had the 5.9L which was plenty possible because it had zero smog equipment and was a great motor. 2007.5 was the first year for the 6.7L. This was DPF equipped and couldn't get that mpg on the highway going downhill.

the mpg from the dodge was done from the built in computer thing in his truck. but idk if he ever tested it by hand. and he also drives like an old grandpa and over doesnt even go over 55 on the highway in the winter. and well youre lucky that you can get 14-15 cause i just tested another tank of gas in my f-150 and im still getting 10mpg. i dont ever go over 2000 rpms and i still get shit gas mileage. i let it warm up for about 10 minutes cause right now its been from -5F to 20F above. but i bought the truck in the fall when it wasnt cold and it was getting horrible too. it cant even make it to 300 miles to the tank. im averaging about 270 before the fuel light comes on. im not poor at maintaining it either just got a check up and its perfectly fine..only has 44k miles on it. my sisters explorer tho gets pretty shitty too. but its an explorer so thats what we were expecting when we bought it? what should i do about my f-150 take it back to the chevrolet dealer and complain that something might be wrong with it? i have a 50,000 warranty on it from them or should i bring it to a ford dealer? any help will be appreciated

Well, I've found most on-board mpg calculators aren't nearly as accurate as the hand is, and that could be the problem. And you said this was strictly city that he got 19mpgs, so the 55mph on the highway shouldn't have impacted his city mpg. Of course, different peoples opinions of "city" driving can vary, so this may have skewed his readings too.

I got 14-15 mpgs city in my 2002 F150 Scab 5.4L 4x4, and I get roughly the same in my 2006 F150 Screw 5.4L 4x4. What gears do you have? Are you running over-sized tires? Any customizations to the truck? Also, I see one of your problems. Running the truck for 10minutes ever morning is going to drop your mpgs considerably. We've been running in the -10 to 50 degrees the last week plus, and I only let the F150 warm up for maybe 1-2 minutes, however long it takes to scrape the windows and load the kids in. If you need assistance, I can refer you to some other F150 specific sites that me and some other members could help try to pinpoint your problem. Could be and most likely is a multitude of items, which we've typically found to be a combination of a few of the following: driving style, fuel used (where do you get your gas), heavy idling, over-sized tires and to high (numerically low) gearing and tire pressure to be the common issues.

I have a '05 F-350. 6.0L PSD, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Dually. I can honestly say that according to the on-board calculator, I got 25 MPG driving through a city.

Now I admit that it was a small city.. maybe more like a country town... and I was able to hold a steady 45-48 MPH for 8 miles and never had to stop during the calulation.... reguardless... I did get 25 MPG during the calculation period.

:reading:

Well, this is where peoples interpretation of "city" driving could vary. I'd bet the EPA's interpretation is much different than what you just posted. Most likely includes a lot more, stop and go and heavy idling.

Well, I've found most on-board mpg calculators aren't nearly as accurate as the hand is, and that could be the problem. And you said this was strictly city that he got 19mpgs, so the 55mph on the highway shouldn't have impacted his city mpg. Of course, different peoples opinions of "city" driving can vary, so this may have skewed his readings too.

I got 14-15 mpgs city in my 2002 F150 Scab 5.4L 4x4, and I get roughly the same in my 2006 F150 Screw 5.4L 4x4. What gears do you have? Are you running over-sized tires? Any customizations to the truck? Also, I see one of your problems. Running the truck for 10minutes ever morning is going to drop your mpgs considerably. We've been running in the -10 to 50 degrees the last week plus, and I only let the F150 warm up for maybe 1-2 minutes, however long it takes to scrape the windows and load the kids in. If you need assistance, I can refer you to some other F150 specific sites that me and some other members could help try to pinpoint your problem. Could be and most likely is a multitude of items, which we've typically found to be a combination of a few of the following: driving style, fuel used (where do you get your gas), heavy idling, over-sized tires and to high (numerically low) gearing and tire pressure to be the common issues.

Well, this is where peoples interpretation of "city" driving could vary. I'd bet the EPA's interpretation is much different than what you just posted. Most likely includes a lot more, stop and go and heavy idling.

:beerchug:

As they say, numbers don't lie, but liars use numbers....or is it... fool me once,..... shame on me..... fool me twice.....uh... I won't get fooled again.... :goodnight: something like that..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ux3DKxxFoM&NR=1

Edited by mettech