LED tail lights

4havnfun

My wish list for Ford (and everyone else) is to start making LED tail lights standard on all vehicles. The faster response time and longer life seem like an important safety advantage for what is surely a modest cost.

They added all sorts of technology to the new Edge/MKX but where are the LED tail lights?

• 2 weeks later...

LED taillamps are standard on the 2011 MKX. My favorite implementation is the 2010+ Mustang, which uses six Osram-Sylvania Joule LED modules for the brake, tail, and turn signal (sequential!) lamps. :shades:

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't pay close enough attention to the difference between the twins before I ordered :banghead:

I wonder if LED tails from an MKX would fit & work on the Edge and if they would look goofy with chrome on only 3 sides

Edited by 4havnfun

I wonder if LED tails from an MKX would fit & work on the Edge and if they would look goofy with chrome on only 3 sides

The opening is a different shape, so they wouldn't be swappable. I do very much like the reflector design they used on the Edge refresh though. It gives it a very LED-like appearance without using LEDs.

The opening is a different shape, so they wouldn't be swappable. I do very much like the reflector design they used on the Edge refresh though. It gives it a very LED-like appearance without using LEDs.

Thanks for the response. For me it was more about safety (how long LED tails will last and how much faster they are at coming on) than the overall appearance.

Thanks for the response. For me it was more about safety (how long LED tails will last and how much faster they are at coming on) than the overall appearance.

While I can appreciate the "instant on" characteristic of LEDs over conventional bulbs, I doubt that really makes much of a difference in safety. Reflector and array design would play a much larger role in that, and to those ends, I would say some incandescent setups are far superior to some LED arrays in terms of visibility.

Edited by NickF1011

• 3 weeks later...

The only problem with LED tailights is they dont get warm enough to melt snow off the lenses in the winter - I really really wish that all of the running, signal, and brake lights were LED lights.

With the lower power draw, maybe I could actually leave the parking lights on at night when I have to park on the street instead of just hoping that the drunks have their headlights on

Edited by p38fln

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...