New Gran Torino

Evil95GT

I think Ford should bring back the Torino nameplate. The car has quite the history, and would make an excellent entry in the Charger/Impala segment. I vote for 2 and 4 door models, maybe a 3.9 V8 and an optional 4.6, and aggressive styling. I feel Ford could bring this car back as a crossover muscle car/family car. Priced in the $28K range. :lol: Thoughts?

As a 4-door perhaps. A 2-door would eat into Mustang sales too much. The other problem right now is finding a suitable platform to build it on. D2C is too inflexible and DEW98 is heading to the dumpster.

Good idea, but probably not the easiest time for Ford to implement such a vehicle into its lineup.

They could rename the 500 into the Torino. Change the 500 from FWD to RWD, add a hot motor to it, change the styling (not the entire thing), just certain areas.

OR

They could rename the Crown Victoria. Its already RWD, so all they would have to do is change the styling and add the 4.6 3v motor.

I'm gonna agree that the car definitely has to be RWD. The addition of the "character line" is an excellent idea, and would give the car a taste of nostalgic roots. The 3v 4.6 would be a wonderful option as well.

That's pretty much what Dodge did with the new Charger, and what Pontiac may do with the 2008 GTO-- add two more doors and keep a fastback profile. I think a new Gran Torino can work, but it would require a brand-spanking-new platform, seeing as how D2C can't be stretched into a 4-door, DEW98 is pretty much axed, and anything Panther-based will get obliterated in its first comparison test.

For powertrain options, I think the minimum should be the 3.5L V6, tuned for 250 hp and 250 lb/ft. Right from there, the step-up powertrain should be the 3v 5.4L Triton, tuned for 350 horses. This will give the Gran Torino more of a "muscle-car" character, allowing adequate differentiation-- not only in power figures, but also character-- between the Mustang and Gran Torino.

Remember, the Mustang didn't start out as a muscle-car...

I really think right now anything offered in 'non-round' roofline would be great for sales...personally I think the torino look on a CV chassis would be dirt cheep to pull off and look great. For another alternate to the galaxie/torino styling for a bigger car- how about one similar to the Aussie 'xc'(i think) falcon...it looks kinda like a torino but with one of the best looking frontends Ive ever seen(if you arent familiar, it was the hotrod they used in 'mad max').

Whatever they might do, I really feel the safest bet is to offer optional body on existing lines- if it dont take off try again next year, but keep offering the copcar/taxi body that will have a fleet following for at least the forseeable future. the crown vic is a great car, but its too often tagged as 'an old mans car'...the chassis is bulletproof, just needs a facelift and some wheels for eye candy.

ps- just gotta add: let my little brother and his wife try out my mustang gt tonight- she loved the stick and everything about the car- she was rompin on it a bit and loved it. she bought a ptcruiser convertible a couple months ago, and sure sounded like she was ready to part with it in a hurry- too bad ford dont have more gts available- one test drive would hook a lot of sales...my brother wanted her to get the mustang, but she hadnt seen the new ones and didnt care for the late models...now shes regretting not waiting.

• 2 weeks later...
A Gran Torino wouldn't be the same unless it had that character line in the rear quarter....you know what I'm talkin about. ;)

You bet I do...... check out an example here:

dgt01.l.jpg

I'm in agreement. They'd have to have a curvy enough body to incorporate that line attractively.

-Ovaltine

For another alternate to the galaxie/torino styling for a bigger car- how about one similar to the Aussie 'xc'(i think) falcon...it looks kinda like a torino but with one of the best looking frontends Ive ever seen(if you arent familiar, it was the hotrod they used in 'mad max').

Oh, man I love the MadMax movies... ;)

Did you mean this frontend?

xcgtcoupe.jpg

OR THIS

thHalf_Max_Front_800x600.jpg

Because the movie car (which is still around, currently in the United Kingdom), was a '73 Aussie Falcon XB GT Coupe with a Monza nose-piece put on the front end. What the producers wanted, to give the car a more futuristic look.

I totally and wholeheartedly AGREE here.

A Torino comeback would be awesome. We've already seen the return of the Montego (remember that from the 60's?) and the Five Hundred is a (somewhat) return from the Galaxie 500...

I think that a Torino based off the Panther could be worthwhile. The Marauder failed only because it lacked more horsepower. Something in the 350hp range would do the trick.

Since the panther platform is guaranteed to be around through 2010 at least, it's a viable option. Otherwise it would take a whole new plan from the ground up. Not that that would be bad... perhaps to do a Torino the right way, a new chassis is best, but it all depends on money.

I still miss the 74 Torino my family used to have. What a great vehicle.

I'd love to see the return of the Torino as well. I've posted these pics in previous post(s), but here's my father's old 1969 Torino GT (one pic is of it in factory condition, other pic is after a new paintjob and new wheels). Unfortunately, I wasn't born yet to see it in person and he only has a couple old Polaroids of it.

Ultimately, I think the 1970/71 Torino may have been the best looking style, followed by the 68/69 and then the 72 (as posted by Ovaltine earlier).

post-16338-1136220621.jpg

post-16338-1136220647.jpg

As much as I'd like to see a return of the Torino, I doubt it will happen. Ford seems to have no RWD plans beyond the Mustang and maybe a Lincoln derivative from that platform. D3 appears to be the future. I read that Elena Ford doesn't like performance cars, so we'll just have to be happy with Mustangs.

Oh, man I love the MadMax movies... ;)

Did you mean this frontend?

xcgtcoupe.jpg

OR THIS

thHalf_Max_Front_800x600.jpg

Because the movie car (which is still around, currently in the United Kingdom), was a '73 Aussie Falcon XB GT Coupe with a Monza nose-piece put on the front end. What the producers wanted, to give the car a more futuristic look.

I dunno...either/neither set of headlamps could work for me- I just liked the flat-nosed/recessed grille look with the slightly arched fender tops, boss351-ish hood, and the 71 torino-ish roofline...lots of pretty styling ideas to consider bringing back on a torino remake. I think that roofline/window/quarter proportion might easily 'hide' a set of small rear doors like on a RX8 too...

Edited by ford4v429

Actually, there is ONE place in the world where you can buy a brand new Falcon.

Australia.

Ford of Australia still makes them, of course they're a creation unique to the Aussies, but from what I've heard they're really something!

I dunno...either/neither set of headlamps could work for me- I just liked the flat-nosed/recessed grille look with the slightly arched fender tops, boss351-ish hood, and the 71 torino-ish roofline...lots of pretty styling ideas to consider bringing back on a torino remake. I think that roofline/window/quarter proportion might easily 'hide' a set of small rear doors like on a RX8 too...

Actually, there is ONE place in the world where you can buy a brand new Falcon.

Australia.

Ford of Australia still makes them, of course they're a creation unique to the Aussies, but from what I've heard they're really something!

yes, but the new falcon is nothing like the xb above- its not bad, but has that average new car look to me...now the 'ute' pickups over there are kinda cool- if they offered them here there would be a market- I kinda miss the elcamino/ranchero...I think the Aussie ute is better looking than any of them were.

if ya look over at fordforums.com, theres mostly aussie guys on there, lots of pics of utes/falcons...one guy told me if ford imported the mustang gt over there the cost would be over 80k USD. AND they are not allowed to modify vehicles over there without expensive 'engineering certificate' approval...another reason it is good to be in the USA :) No mattwr how bad our govt screws things up, taxes us to death, puts such strict controls over large corporations or allows million dollar lawsuits over spilled coffee, we still have some freedom to modify things WE own.