Explorer A Homerun but Sticker Shock!

I went to look at the new Explorer yesterday at our auto show and had two shocks. The first was what a GREAT vehicle it is and how well done. I had figured it would be a warmed over Taurus-X/Freestyle. It's not, even if it's built on that base. The fuel economy was good too for a vehicle that size and certainly 16MPG city is a huge jump over the 13 that the old vehicle got (with AWD) ...23%.

But the price!!!! A loaded one was OVER $50,000!!!!!! Am I crazy or is the buying public REALLY gonna line up to spend 50 grand for a loaded Explorer. And in the mid 40s for a well equipped but not loaded one? And the people around me at the auto show were freaking out/laughing about the price too.

What am I missing here?

Edited by Daryll40

you're not missing anything, if people want to order every option available they have to pay for it!!

mine is a nicely equipped XLT & it stickers at 35000.

I agree that people will have to pay what the market will bear....but I can't believe the market is this pricey for this vehicle.

I agree that people will have to pay what the market will bear....but I can't believe the market is this pricey for this vehicle.

Look at the technology that is put into this vehicle. Compare it with the Lexus RX, Acura MDX, Grand Cherokee, traverse (I think that's it) or the GM Acadia. None of them have as much technology as the explorer (Ford My touch for example). Build a loaded one of the others and you are paying more for less.

I ordered a limited (only option was we didn't get the dvd) and we are paying $42,600 for it on xplan. I think that is a very good deal for what we are getting (maybe I'm crazy).

Look at the technology that is put into this vehicle. Compare it with the Lexus RX, Acura MDX, Grand Cherokee, traverse (I think that's it) or the GM Acadia. None of them have as much technology as the explorer (Ford My touch for example). Build a loaded one of the others and you are paying more for less.

I ordered a limited (only option was we didn't get the dvd) and we are paying $42,600 for it on xplan. I think that is a very good deal for what we are getting (maybe I'm crazy).

I agree that the tech was cutting edge. And I admit that I was shocked at the Grand Cherokee asking prices too. But even your $42,600 "bargain" was about $10,000 more than I paid for my 2003 Mountaineer Premier in an 8 year period when car prices have actually DECLINED. Hey, if Ford can get those kind of numbers, more power to them. But I just wonder how many people won't even consider the vehicle after seeing them priced at 50 grand at the auto show. Even the XLT was 40. As I said, repeat buyers like me are gonna be shocked at the 10/33% grand price increase

our Limited 302A/roof/crossbars was under 42600 but i have an incredible dealer, plus $1750 in rebates helped.

To me, thats paltry compared to the 2001 Denali this replaces which new was over 50(i know, what was i thinking). The Ex is real value when you look at what you get.

None of them have as much technology as the explorer

But it is really needed or used? Probably not by most. I won't even think about one based on the price of a mid level model. I don't want a third row seat yet I'm forced to pay for one. Add to that the almost 5 percent loan costs and you're paying quite a bit. Sales were good when the laon rates were wAy down to almost zero percent. Now with the average monthly payments around the mid five hundred, the sales will not be record setting.

I have to admit I was a little concerned at the price but getting X-Plan from a member here was the deal maker for me. Things then got exciting with all the rebates, incentives, and Loyalty cash. I didn't over do it with the Limited 302A package and now I'm glad I Just got the FWD, 301A rapid spec package, Tow package, and the White Plat color.

I don't know about others, but my Credit Union will loan sticker price up to 84 months at 4.99%. I'm well below sticker even with Tax & Tag added and 72 months drops the APR to 4.49%. With rates this low, deals this good, I'm not letting sticker shock stop me from buying the 2011 North American Truck Of The Year.

When the Explorer starts getting attention out on the roads, prices and sales will go through the roof! Those that have already ordered and made their deals will be the lucky ones.

I agree that the tech was cutting edge. And I admit that I was shocked at the Grand Cherokee asking prices too. But even your $42,600 "bargain" was about $10,000 more than I paid for my 2003 Mountaineer Premier in an 8 year period when car prices have actually DECLINED. Hey, if Ford can get those kind of numbers, more power to them. But I just wonder how many people won't even consider the vehicle after seeing them priced at 50 grand at the auto show. Even the XLT was 40. As I said, repeat buyers like me are gonna be shocked at the 10/33% grand price increase

What do you think the average cost of a new car is today? And who said car prices have Declined the last 8 years?

What competes directly with the Explorer but sells for a lot less comparably equipped? You can't look at one vehicle - you have to look at the competition.

If you want serious sticker shock go to the Canadian Ford website www.ford.ca

Build a full load Limited Explorer and see if you can stay just under $60,000can? LOL!

X-plan and recent Canadian incentives allowed me to build it under $48,000 for everything but trailer tow package.

Up here the units are so hard to find they are being sold before they even arrive at the dealer

I couldn't agree more about the technology improvements and the comparisons to the other automakers. Just look at the 2011 Acadia and how old that technology is compared to whats in the new Explorer.

Your buying the leading edge (sometimes bleeding edge)vehicle in that class.

Edited by Sgt1411

But it is really needed or used? Probably not by most. I won't even think about one based on the price of a mid level model. I don't want a third row seat yet I'm forced to pay for one. Add to that the almost 5 percent loan costs and you're paying quite a bit. Sales were good when the laon rates were wAy down to almost zero percent. Now with the average monthly payments around the mid five hundred, the sales will not be record setting.

I'd argue that you should get an Edge if you dont want a third row seat. Stripped too if you dont want all the technology. We got an Ex because we needed one and it featured the technoligy we wanted. Pay cash for the car when you can afford it....that saves your interest. My sales guy had 3 Ex cash purchases just last week, mine was one. peace.

But even your $42,600 "bargain" was about $10,000 more than I paid for my 2003 Mountaineer Premier in an 8 year period when car prices have actually DECLINED.

My sister/brother in law had an eddie bauer explorer, I think it was a 2000. Comparing the vehicles, you got nothing in the eddie bauer. Two tone paint, moon roof, leather and heated seats.. that's about it.

Comparing your mountaineer with the new explorer.. you get 4WD/AWD that adapts to your needs automatically, dual moonroof, review camera, nav, my touch, good stereo and instrument cluster, power folding 3rd row, HID's, 20" rims, ambient lighting, heating AND cooling front seats, remote start, 10 power seats, push button start (key fob - memory seats), bluetooth, adaptive cruise control, parking assist and blind spot sensors. You get sooo much for the $10k including increased safety.

I know what you meant, $42k is a lot of money but look at the next step up (tahoe/expedition) which will sticker well over $50k. Sure you get more leg room but you also get gas guzzlers..

Edited by blwnsmoke

What am I missing here?

As others have said, you can only be shocked at the prices if you haven't shopped the competition. We shopped ALL the competition, and the Explorer offered the most for the money. I was surprised at the costs of all of the marques, but the Explorer pricing is not above its comparables.

And that's why many manufacturers make many different car models at many different prices. You can buy a stripped down base model of any car and save $15,000 over a loaded model. Different cars for different needs and pocketbooks. Some people want cushy luxury, some want tech, some want practical. But I will add that we purchased our last car 3 years ago, and car prices are much higher than they were then. MUCH! That car was just totalled by a drunk driver, almost killing my husband. So we have a specific reason for wanting a BIG, HEAVY, SAFE vehicle this time around. If not, I'd be looking smaller and cheaper and higher mpg.

What people fail to realize too is that today's base models don't exactly have roll-up windows and an am radio. Our Flex is an SE, and is perfect for us. People talk about the Flex as if every model is a $50k EcoBoost Titanium, but ours was nearly half that, and a bargain in my mind for what it offers.

The past few years all the manufacturers were offering zero percent financing making the cost of a new car much less. Now financing is back up to the five percent range adding thousands on to the cost. Some fall into the low payment / long payoff trap. I've seen seven year loans. That is a bit much. But you are right in the fact that you can get a lightly loaded Ex for a somewhat decent price if you either trade in a recent year vehicle or pit a sizable down payment on it. The no money down deal cost you in the end.

But what turned me off to the Ex over the past few years was having to buy a third row seat and losing storage space and paying dearly for it. No idea why they don't offer a delete option for it.

The past few years all the manufacturers were offering zero percent financing making the cost of a new car much less. Now financing is back up to the five percent range adding thousands on to the cost. Some fall into the low payment / long payoff trap. I've seen seven year loans. That is a bit much. But you are right in the fact that you can get a lightly loaded Ex for a somewhat decent price if you either trade in a recent year vehicle or pit a sizable down payment on it. The no money down deal cost you in the end.

But what turned me off to the Ex over the past few years was having to buy a third row seat and losing storage space and paying dearly for it. No idea why they don't offer a delete option for it.

You will be happy because the Interceptor Utility comes without third row seats standard.

What people fail to realize too is that today's base models don't exactly have roll-up windows and an am radio. Our Flex is an SE, and is perfect for us. People talk about the Flex as if every model is a $50k EcoBoost Titanium, but ours was nearly half that, and a bargain in my mind for what it offers.

I ordered a base Explorer for my wife. 28,895 sticker. It has power windows, power locks, rear air, and a third row seat. It has everything we wanted.