Dealers clamor for more Calibers

Biker16

Dealers clamor for more Calibers

Bradford Wernle | | Automotive News / June 26, 2006 - 6:00 am

Advertisement

DETROIT -- The Dodge Caliber small car presents the kind of problem that Chrysler group CEO Tom LaSorda enjoys having. Dealers are selling Calibers as fast as the Chrysler factory at Belvidere, Ill., can crank them out.

"I really like having issues like this - having demand greater than supply," LaSorda said during a recent interview at Chrysler group headquarters in Auburn Hills, Mich.

Tom Libby, an analyst for the Power Information Network, says it's still too early to call the Caliber an unqualified success.

But early signals are positive, based on thousands of transactions the network records.

According to PIN data:

* The average Caliber is taking 10 days to leave the dealer lot, and the number is not going up even though the car is in its fifth month on sale.

* The average transaction price, minus cash rebate, has risen steadily and is now $18,100. By comparison, the Chrysler 300's price dropped 2 percent for the first five months.

* The average transaction price of the Caliber rose more in its first five months than that of any other domestic model launched during the past 37 months - up 7 percent.

"That indicates a particularly strong launch and potentially a very strong product - a combination of a new product with a trend in the industry that's playing right into it," he said.

Truck-heavy mix

That trend is an industrywide swing toward smaller cars - a trend that Chrysler, with its truck-heavy sales mix, desperately needs.

The challenge for Chrysler will be maintaining its early momentum.

With fuel prices near $3 a gallon in many parts of the country, small cars have blossomed into big sellers. Chrysler views vehicles such as the Pontiac Vibe, Ford Focus ZX5, five-door Mazda3 and Hyundai Elantra GT5 as primary competitors.

That means the Caliber has arrived at a fortuitous time to replace the aging Neon.

Gordon Wangers, CEO of AMCI in Marina del Rey, Calif., says the Caliber's dynamic shape "pops on the road."

"It is well-depicted in their advertising," Wangers says. "It's not confusing to consumers the way some of the early crossovers - say, Pacifica - were."

Jim Hall, an analyst for AutoPacific Inc. in Southfield, Mich., says making the Caliber a hatchback and offering all-wheel drive may give dealers a new selling proposition. The Neon sold mostly on price, Hall said.

Wanted: more Calibers

Dealer Herb Chambers can't get his hands on enough Calibers. He says he has a backlog of 60 orders.

"We're getting allocation of five or six or seven a month," says the owner of Herb Chambers Dodge in Danvers, Mass. "We have a 10-month wait to get them. It is the hottest Dodge product we've had in 10 years."

Andy Palmen, chairman of the Dodge National Dealer Council, says fuel prices are driving shoppers away from large SUVs.

That's a problem for Dodge, which had a 142-day supply of Durangos as of June 1.

But the Caliber seems to be hitting a sweet spot, says Palmen, owner of Palmen Dodge-Jeep in Racine, Wis. "I would love to have 50 of these things (Calibers)," he says. "I would sell at least 30 a month."

Palmen says he had to rent a Caliber from Enterprise Rent-A-Car during May to have one to show customers because he couldn't get his hands on any new cars.

You may e-mail Bradford Wernle at bwernle@crain.com

Caliber cashes in

Dodge Caliber transaction prices have risen since its launch.

Feb.* $16,858

March $17,060

April $17,737

May $17,671

June* $18,100

*Partial month

Source: Power Information Network

* The average transaction price, minus cash rebate, has risen steadily and is now $18,100. By comparison, the Chrysler 300's price dropped 2 percent for the first five months.

this should probably be good for the Five Hundred, long term. I also think the Caliber hype will die out faster than the 300 hype and the Escape hybrid is still something I'd rather own if I had to pick. future Escape anyone? :happy feet:

I love that stupid Caliber commercial where they make it sound like it has a V8..you know, the one that has the little fairy in it, casting spells..listen to the same obviously fake soundtrack they give to the Caliber; it's the same sound they used in the Magnum commercials. Where's ol hemi at when DCX is making the deceptive commercials?

It is seen as a small SUV instead of a wagon. So, for the next gen Focus hatches, add AWD, raise it a few inches, viola a 'small SUV' to appease the Greenies.

Same for the Fusion/500, add a hatch and call the AWD versions "SUV's". The truck lving public will come running. [actaully this one is a stretch]

Or just use this:

ford-fusion-1_2.jpg

that is on the Fiesta platform..the old one... we shoudl stop asking ford to bring us products on platforms that are ready to die.

this is on Focus patform:

8139_large.jpg

and there are 22 things PIN diregards.. the pire has been goign up, because1) most options were "late availability", and Dodge took off the caliber by dumping thousands of them into rental lots...

I have to say thoughthey were smart dto do that... they got the numbers and they can claim that it was a smashing success by the meaningless numbers.

anyways .. I do believe it will cool off.. just like the Ford's D3's ....

we shall see.

Igor

Edited by igor

Oh God, if Ford brought the Fiesta based 'suv', the Analysts would have a feast knocking Ford for its stark looks. "Baby 500" anyone? It's a 1998 product, not a nearly 2008!

Again it's a general idea. Ford shouldn't import anything over here that's on its' last leg or up for a major overhaul. That picture was posted simply as an idea that Ford of NA could work from (or towards). Aside from the Focus, I am against just bringing Ford of Europes product here and selling it as is.

Sheesh :runaway:

Ford decided to go cheap with the Focus revision. It's hurting them. The current interior is a disgrace.

Of course, the Caliber's interior is nothing special. It's success proves that it's not all that hard to create a succuessful small car, if you try.

I dunno, I think the Caliber will follow the Neon's track. Trendy one year, out the next.

The interior is pretty cheap, its doesn't get that good gas mileage, and it rides rough. So say some who bought one.

Shows that it is hard to compete in segments aimed at 'youth'.

I dunno, I think the Caliber will follow the Neon's track. Trendy one year, out the next.

The interior is pretty cheap, its doesn't get that good gas mileage, and it rides rough. So say some who bought one.

Shows that it is hard to compete in segments aimed at 'youth'.

What killed the Neon was crappy quality. I remember talking to people who owned Neons from the first two years of production - every one of them had serious problems, including a nasty water leak in the passenger side door.

For the second-generation Neon, Chrysler improved the quality, but also killed the neat coupe and, if I recall correctly, the snappier engines.

The car offered no advantages over a Focus, Civic or Corolla.

Edited by grbeck

What killed the Neon was crappy quality. I remember talking to people who owned Neons from the first two years of production - every one of them had serious problems, including a nasty water leak in the passenger side door.

For the second-generation Neon, Chrysler improved the quality, but also killed the neat coupe and, if I recall correctly, the snappier engines.

The car offered no advantages over a Focus, Civic or Corolla.

The neon was crap, that's waht pissed me off about the PT . I would have bought one except that it was just a cool looking piece of shit neon.

My 03 Cavalier LS Sport rides better , gets better mileage and looks pretty nice for a cheap little car. It has the 16 inch sport rims and the body kit with fog lights. The front seats sucka ass on a long trip though, I'm fixin to replace them.

21,000 miles of uninterrupted driving in my PTCruiser tells me that you don't know what you're talking about. It is an excellent, well-built rugged little bastard that has driven me through NYC countless times without a hiccup. Quality is A-No.1 and it may cause me to look at DCX again if Ford doesn't interest me. That's how it's done. That's the whole point of the exercise. Build something to get them in the door and they at least look at what else you make as long as they are LUCKY to buy something that doesn't break. My brother has a '95 Neon with about 85, 000 miles on it. Been in the shop twice! Twice and that's it. Not a DCX drum-betar, I have just been lucky with what I have chosen. My last car was a '95 Contour GL.

I'll pas that on to him. It's sort of funny because back in 2002, he went to a local auto show and fell in love with a black ZX2, but didn't buy one. He also liked the Sebring coupe but he doesn't drive much and decided to keep running his ugly little monster.

21,000 miles of uninterrupted driving in my PTCruiser tells me that you don't know what you're talking about. It is an excellent, well-built rugged little bastard that has driven me through NYC countless times without a hiccup. Quality is A-No.1 and it may cause me to look at DCX again if Ford doesn't interest me. That's how it's done. That's the whole point of the exercise. Build something to get them in the door and they at least look at what else you make as long as they are LUCKY to buy something that doesn't break. My brother has a '95 Neon with about 85, 000 miles on it. Been in the shop twice! Twice and that's it. Not a DCX drum-betar, I have just been lucky with what I have chosen. My last car was a '95 Contour GL.

A freind of mine from high school works at a Dodge/Jeep garage, he says they had more problems with Neons than just about anything except for the Dynasty. He sadi that car was the worst peice of crap they sold. Neons though had problems with head gaskets(glue on some), transmissions were crap and paint peeled like a dry onion. Also had lots of dash electrical problems.

That doesent make me want to try out a PT.

Another article:

Dodge Caliber ‘strongest’ Big Three launch in 3 years

Demand is so high for the vehicle that dealers are selling them as fast as they get them.

DaimlerChrysler’s slogan for the 2007 Dodge Caliber is “It’s Anything but Cute,†but the slogan that’s just as apt is “Here today, gone tomorrow.â€

Five months into its sales life and the demand for the combination sporty coupe/SUV being assembled at the 3.9 million-square-foot assembly plant in Belvidere continues to outpace supply.

Tuesday, company officials cited “production issues†as the only thing holding back sales of the car that replaced the Neon as Chrysler’s entry in the small-car market.

“We don’t even clean them up and put them in the showroom (when we get Calibers),†said Gary Dixon of Belvidere Motors. “We just put ’em out on the lot because as soon as people see one, they crowd around it.â€

Entire article at link above.

PT's are made in Mexico, not at the Neon plant. Have not had too many issues in the past. And they are still selling at over 10K a month, pretty good for what some presumptuously called 'a dead fad'.

Calibers are made in old Neon plant and hope they re-tooled and retrained the workers.

But, the Rockford IL paper got it wrong, it isn't coupe at all

Edited by 630land

Another article:

Dodge Caliber ‘strongest’ Big Three launch in 3 years

Demand is so high for the vehicle that dealers are selling them as fast as they get them.

DaimlerChrysler’s slogan for the 2007 Dodge Caliber is “It’s Anything but Cute,†but the slogan that’s just as apt is “Here today, gone tomorrow.â€

Five months into its sales life and the demand for the combination sporty coupe/SUV being assembled at the 3.9 million-square-foot assembly plant in Belvidere continues to outpace supply.

Tuesday, company officials cited “production issues†as the only thing holding back sales of the car that replaced the Neon as Chrysler’s entry in the small-car market.

“We don’t even clean them up and put them in the showroom (when we get Calibers),†said Gary Dixon of Belvidere Motors. “We just put ’em out on the lot because as soon as people see one, they crowd around it.â€

Entire article at link above.

that is good news for DCX.. but I wonder how their pricing is set -whether they are at least coveing the costs - 12k base price seems way to low for a vehicle that size. - Focus sells forthat rpice and we know how much Ford loses on those

Igor

One other thing I thought of. If his car has four lug wheels, he has a car that was built the first half of the model year. Chrysler changed to 5 lug wheels in the middle of the first model year because of brake problems, if I remember correctly. If he has one, and ever has to replace a disc/drum/wheel, he is in for a huge bill because the parts are scarce.

He bought his at the end of the model year, it was almost a left-over as color choices were dwindling.