First Drive: 2012 Boss 302

Great reviews although I am not sure about some of Left Lane's engine specs. Statements like "Unique head castings" and "long-tube custom runner intake drawing on Ford’s Daytona Prototype experience" are probably stretching the truth a little. I thought the heads were CNC ported but the same castings as used on the standard GT 5.0L and the intake manifold comes from the Boss 302R, not a Daytona Prototype engine.

Biggest complaint, "too fast for the street" and "too fast for the brakes". LOL

Ford is so sandbagging that 444 HP.

Jack Baruth is an accomplished racer, no sub 100K car has brakes that will satisfy him for track day use. Plus, race spec brakes suck on the street. The brakes are a compromise that most people will never even notice.

Im waiting for the bleating to begin regarding addendums. We have two pre-sold at MSRP. And one Grabber Blue for retail wich will get an addendum...reason?...theres bugger all markup in the damn things, my wish is Ford just had a higher profit margin on a car that dealers will see 1 or two of. That way they would be a lot less ( well, at least us anyways ) of reverting to additional Markup. My question to those out there wondering why, if YOU owned a store selling Widgets, and a special edition was relaesed, what % over cost would you deem "fair"?....now I can sit back and observe.....lets start the bidding at say 20%.....

Im waiting for the bleating to begin regarding addendums. We have two pre-sold at MSRP. And one Grabber Blue for retail wich will get an addendum...reason?...theres bugger all markup in the damn things, my wish is Ford just had a higher profit margin on a car that dealers will see 1 or two of. That way they would be a lot less ( well, at least us anyways ) of reverting to additional Markup. My question to those out there wondering why, if YOU owned a store selling Widgets, and a special edition was relaesed, what % over cost would you deem "fair"?....now I can sit back and observe.....lets start the bidding at say 20%.....

Grabber Blue? You know something no one else does? Everything I have read states that there was only one 2012 Boss 302 in GB and it was the special Barrett-Jackson auction car. Rumor has it there will be more color options for 2013 (assuming there will be a second model year) and one of those color options will be Grabber Blue.

Dyno Test

Good call on the sandbag. The torque numbers compared to the GT 5.0L are quite incredible.

They look to be essentially equal up to 4500rpm, then the Boss just pulls away all the way to red line. The most incredible thing about the engine is how clean and smooth the torque curve is yet it is fully capable of running 7700rpm without falling off the power. There is no way in hell you could do that with an old small block.

Dyno Test

Good call on the sandbag. The torque numbers compared to the GT 5.0L are quite incredible.

I figured as much. On my engine simulator program the Coyote makes 419 HP not accounting for TiVCT, which lines up nicely with the dyno numbers which indicate ~430 HP is the more "real world" number.

When I run the Boss on the engine program, assuming a 10% improvement in intake/exhaust port flow (estimated from results seen with mildly ported 5.0 heads utilizing stock valves), an intake manifold with 8" runners and improved intake manifold runner flow coefficient ("runners" in a box" design provides a much straighter shot at the intake ports) and I came up with 465 HP not accounting for TiVCT. The engine simulator also says the Boss should make ~5 lb-ft more than the Coyote (@ 4500 vs 5500) which mirrors those dyno results.

I'm guessing Ford has a pretty conservative tune on the Boss (A/F and timing) based on that. Both the Boss and Coyote break 500 HP (flywheel) with headers, exhaust, inlet uprades, electric w/p, aggressive timing curves, leaner A/F and so forth. The Boss hits 550 with those mods according to the program.

Near 500 rwhp with bolt-ons here we come.

Edited by White99GT

Grabber Blue? You know something no one else does? Everything I have read states that there was only one 2012 Boss 302 in GB and it was the special Barrett-Jackson auction car. Rumor has it there will be more color options for 2013 (assuming there will be a second model year) and one of those color options will be Grabber Blue.

apologies...Kona Blue....which Im happier about, the Grabber just doesnt do it for me,...

I wish the Kona blue came with black graphics, white graphics and black wheels don't mix.

couldnt agree more, but i think Fords #1 priority here was to differentiate and toss taste out the window....me, I am kinda warm to the Silver/ red...but it too is a tad gawdy....