Why is Ford tracking so difficult

I'm in the same boat, I was told my dealer that it was shipped on 3/10 and they were billed by Ford. I went in on the 11th and did the paperwork and my first payment is due on 4/12 and as of today they tell me another 2 weeks, so it looks like I might have to make a payment before I even get the truck.

I'm in the same boat, I was told my dealer that it was shipped on 3/10 and they were billed by Ford. I went in on the 11th and did the paperwork and my first payment is due on 4/12 and as of today they tell me another 2 weeks, so it looks like I might have to make a payment before I even get the truck.

That's BS and possibly illegal.

I don't know about shipping, but I think the order processing/scheduling system is the same one the have used since the 1970s !

You would think that with modern technology Ford could put sensor in vehicle while it's going down line being built and on Ford's website buyer could punch in number and track it all the way to dealer. I don't understand why auto manufacturers keep excited buyers in the dark like this. By buyer being able to track their vehicle on home computer, they also don't have to bug the dealership all the time about where their vehicle is.

This doesn't sound like a reputable dealer - you shouldn't pay anthing more than a small deposit until you take deliver of the vehicle.

• 4 months later...

I know! Its a real pain. All I want to know is where the Car that I am going to spend 40k is. You would think that Ford be in the 21st century by now. Maybe theyve been spending all of there time perfecting MFT instead of creating an order status system....OH WAIT....

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This is definitely an issue. Only one guy at the dealer has the tracking info, and that is difficult to obtain. Getting the DORA was difficult, and I found out the VIN of the auto from the Ford customer care line well before the dealer. Seems as if ford should provide limited acces to it's ford fleet site to those who have dropped a deposit and special ordered a car.

Hasn't been an issue for me. My dealer told me they don't care how many times I call or stop in to get an update. Many salesman and up have been trained to enter the info into the system and get the update. They even print it out for me.

They said they were glad to have me as a customer.

Short answer: No.

Like so many other 'good ideas', they stop being good once you find out what they really cost.

Just buy a car off the lot or have the dealer search for something similar at another dealer. While I realize it doesn't jive with what people believe, "That the customer is always right" in this case the customer is wrong. You want Ford to spend it's money making better cars not improving it's tracking system for the 5 to 6 percent of customers that order cars. There are things that are important and there are things that would be nice.

Just buy a car off the lot or have the dealer search for something similar at another dealer. While I realize it doesn't jive with what people believe, "That the customer is always right" in this case the customer is wrong. You want Ford to spend it's money making better cars not improving it's tracking system for the 5 to 6 percent of customers that order cars. There are things that are important and there are things that would be nice.

The customer wants what he wants, when he wants it. And in today's society with "free" services like Pandora, Google maps, and Apple Facetime, it's little wonder that such services might be expected.

Back when I ordered my truck (Feb, 1993) the dealer just told me 6-8 weeks and left it at that. I would not have thought of calling him before the 8th week (even though I'd placed a deposit), and was pleasantly surprised when my truck arrived in 5 weeks.

That said, how does a dealer (when he orders a car) receive updates of delivery status? Or do such updates exist?