2,500 Chevy Cruze sedans recalled for "improperly fastened" steering wheels

TomServo92

Hope they're not recreating the Vega experience. I remember back in the day a neighbor asking me to move her husband's (she didn't drive a stick), and I remember the steering in particular felt like the whole shaft and linkage was composed of lawn furniture tubing held together with cotter pins. And then there was the excellent retrospective on the car by Canadian driver: LINK

I saw one of these for the first time on the road the other day. At first I thought it was a strange looking Malibu, before I realized what it was. It may have a lot of positive reviews, but I came away underwhelmed.

Totally agree. Haven't seen many around these parts, but the ones I have haven't impressed me in the style/appeal dept. Of course the Malibu never did either. Which is actually typical of GM vehicles as a whole.

Here's a YouTube video of what it looks like when a steering wheel comes off in one of these. In this case, the carload of people didn't get hurt, even though this happened at 65mph. THAT was an act / by the Grace of God.

-Ovaltine

Hey, I thought that removable steering wheel was a security feature so no one could thief your ride.

Hey, I thought that removable steering wheel was a security feature so no one could thief your ride.

I remember around the time that the "Club" came out (pre-mandatory airbag days in the mid to late '80s) there was a company that made something for that very reason. I don't remember if it was a kit (including the steering wheel) or a simple adapter. It wasn't around long.

Edited by RangerM

I remember around the time that the "Club" came out (pre-mandatory airbag days in the mid to late '80s) there was a company that made something for that very reason. I don't remember if it was a kit (including the steering wheel) or a simple adapter. It wasn't around long.

I remember that too. It had a collar that covered the mounting so you couldn't just bring a different wheel. Of course, you had to take the wheel with you which wasn't too convenient.

Hope they're not recreating the Vega experience. I remember back in the day a neighbor asking me to move her husband's (she didn't drive a stick), and I remember the steering in particular felt like the whole shaft and linkage was composed of lawn furniture tubing held together with cotter pins. And then there was the excellent retrospective on the car by Canadian driver: LINK

The Vega...the one car that made the AMC Gremlin look like a masterpiece of engineering.