REVIEWS: 2012 Honda Civic vs. 2011 Hyundai Elantra vs. 2012 Ford Focus

After all of the reviews are done, and the cars have been on the market for several months, I believe that the real loser will be...the Chevrolet Cruze. GM has delivered a car that falls short of the class leaders, which will make it a harder sell against the Focus, Civic and Elantra.

Good to see that the Ford Focus is getting rave reviews...that will make it easier to sell as a premium small car that people buy because they want to, not because they can't afford anything bigger.

Edited by grbeck

The Cruze may not be the critics pick, but that doesn't mean a whole lot to most customers. I don't think Chevy is going to struggle with the Cruze, but then again GM (and Hyundai) have been very incentive happy with the Cruze and I know Ford won't do the same.

I have to say the Hyundai is definitely the better looker, especially when compared to the Focus sedan. Thankfully the Hyundai is far from the better car ;)

Hard to believe Hyundai is now the design leader in the industry, what a strange world we live in.

Edited by BORG

I have to say the Hyundai is definitely the better looker, especially when compared to the Focus sedan. Thankfully the Hyundai is far from the better car ;)

Hard to believe Hyundai is now the design leader in the industry, what a strange world we live in.

The Elantra looks overdone to me. The Focus (even the sedan) seems to find the happy middle ground between bold styling (Elantra) and conservative styling (Corolla).

The Cruze may not be the critics pick, but that doesn't mean a whole lot to most customers. I don't think Chevy is going to struggle with the Cruze, but then again GM (and Hyundai) have been very incentive happy with the Cruze and I know Ford won't do the same.

I hope Hyundai/Kia are not the design leader because they are overstyled. Way overstyled in the extreme. I have been in the new Sonata and I didn't find it an enjoyable experience. IMO, the new Focus and Cruze are the best styled compacts on market. In fact, both the Focus and Cruze have very similar interior looks. I have read many reviews on the Cruze and not many negatives on vehicle. Maybe the Focus is better....I have not driven and lived with both, but both appear to be fine compacts. I believe I would be happy with both, but would prefer the Focus. As for the Elantra, Hyundai is trying too hard and needs to tone it down. Going from stodgy to space cadet so quickly is too much to take. In the meantime, Ford needs that Focus ST out in next year or so as Civic Si is best model Honda makes. The Focus ST would really round out the Focus lineup with a wagon being even better.

The Elantra looks overdone to me. The Focus (even the sedan) seems to find the happy middle ground between bold styling (Elantra) and conservative styling (Corolla).

Having seen both, I would say that the Ford is more attractive. It has a tailored look that is more likely to wear well over time. The Elantra is not ugly in my book, but it seems a trifle overdone, and the roofline really does compromise rear-seat headroom.

The Focus keeps winning these shootouts because it is a superior overall package.

Dynamics: The Focus and 3 have the best dynamics in the class.

Power train: Focus has best combination of acceleration and real world fuel economy.

Interior: Focus leads in quality, style, and features.

Practicallity: Elantra is a little roomier, but not by enough of a margin to knock the Focus

The Focus keeps winning these shootouts because it is a superior overall package.

Dynamics: The Focus and 3 have the best dynamics in the class.

Power train: Focus has best combination of acceleration and real world fuel economy.

Interior: Focus leads in quality, style, and features.

Practicallity: Elantra is a little roomier, but not by enough of a margin to knock the Focus

At the 2010 DAS, I found the 2012 Focus sedan shown there to be better looking than hatch, but now after seeing them at dealer lots and on road, the hatch is better looking and far more practical with so much more cargo room. Ditto with Fiesta. The sedan at first started to grow on me, but after seeing so many sedans on road, it looks very stodby compared to the Fiesta hatch. Gussied up, the Fiesta sedan looks decent, but in standard trim looks like rental special. Thank god for hatches in these two segments. Long live the hatch.

I am tired of all this FoE garbage. they can't do anything right. this car is an abomination with it's central locking bull crap, and other stuff. ;)

for the record the civic ain't shit, the elantra is like one of those FWD sporty coupes, (eclipse, probe, Tc, etc) people buy them on looks in their 3 rd year on sale they bomb.

The Focus sedan trunk lid and rear bumper is where the design fails to distinguish itself, I'm not a big fan of what they did back there and would have preferred something more progressive and stronger looking.

The Elantra design isn't as wacky as the Sonata, I think it's their best design to date. The entire car is very cohesively styled, right down to the overall architecture of the car which looks more progressive (racked and elongated) than the more conventional Focus, Civic, and Cruze. The Focus also has some dodgy design characteristics which are probably more controversial to the consumer than what the Elantra has done, especially with those very large black bumper inserts on the front fascia or the tail-lights on the hatch. Overall I think I prefer Hyundai's more sculptural and monochromatic fascia because it looks stronger and more sophisticated than the over-assembled/fiddly look on the Focus. I'm not saying I don't like the Focus design, but I'm a little disappointed by how the sedan turned out and don't like saying (Oh the hatchback is nice, that'll fix the homely sedan problem!).

Edited by BORG

As a former Elantra owner, I'll say the new design looks better than the old. That said, it's nose is hideous. It's also, still a cheap car. Hyundai knows how to cut corners better than any manufacturer and still come up with a decent looking ride..

The Focus, while not perfect, is the best looking of these new compacts, and better yet, is the best made.

Congratulations again to the global team at Ford who developed the Mk3 Focus. It's gratifying to have Ford produce another class leading vehicle.

In the U.S. market 2012 Focus lineup, the SE model hits the sweet spot. MTX-75 manual tranny standard, robust selection of options, sedan and hatchback availability, and no MyFordTouch! :happy feet:

Edited by aneekr

Congratulations again to the global team at Ford who developed the Mk3 Focus. It's gratifying to have Ford produce another class leading vehicle.

In the U.S. market 2012 Focus lineup, the SE model hits the sweet spot. MTX-75 manual tranny standard, robust selection of options, sedan and hatchback availability, and no MyFordTouch! :happy feet:

Yep, the Focus SE with sport package is one sweet ride. Looks as good as the SES for a lot less money and no MFT makes it that much better. I love that switch gear. :drool:

The Focus sedan trunk lid and rear bumper is where the design fails to distinguish itself, I'm not a big fan of what they did back there and would have preferred something more progressive and stronger looking.

The Elantra design isn't as wacky as the Sonata, I think it's their best design to date. The entire car is very cohesively styled, right down to the overall architecture of the car which looks more progressive (racked and elongated) than the more conventional Focus, Civic, and Cruze. The Focus also has some dodgy design characteristics which are probably more controversial to the consumer than what the Elantra has done, especially with those very large black bumper inserts on the front fascia or the tail-lights on the hatch. Overall I think I prefer Hyundai's more sculptural and monochromatic fascia because it looks stronger and more sophisticated than the over-assembled/fiddly look on the Focus. I'm not saying I don't like the Focus design, but I'm a little disappointed by how the sedan turned out and don't like saying (Oh the hatchback is nice, that'll fix the homely sedan problem!).

I have to disagree, the elantra is absolutely terribly designed from the rear wheels back. That droopy whatever it is is hideous in person. They mask it well in the commercials I have seen.

As a former Elantra owner, I'll say the new design looks better than the old. That said, it's nose is hideous. It's also, still a cheap car. Hyundai knows how to cut corners better than any manufacturer and still come up with a decent looking ride..

The Focus, while not perfect, is the best looking of these new compacts, and better yet, is the best made.

As a current ('01) Elantra owner:

1. Parts are cheap to replace! Integrated upstream catalytic converter & exhaust manifold: $160, Thank the weak Won
  2. It's awesome that they put their service manuals online, free for the world to read.
  3. The overall package - the size and daily-basis options - are quite nice compared to other vehicles from the same year.

That said, 1 and 2 have come in handy a bit too often for my taste.