New Vehicle order turned down by Ford

Ahhh, but Ford did have it...at another dealer. The customer didn't want to shop at the other store.

I wouldn't shop at another dealer either. I have a relationship with my salesperson and the service advisers.

And, nobody has addressed the fact that Ford has two hot selling products (Explorer and Focus) being produced in plants that are only running two shifts.

This guy is 100% right.

• Like 1

I wouldn't shop at another dealer either. I have a relationship with my salesperson and the service advisers.

You explain to the dealer that you would like to buy from him, but he doesn't have the car you want. A reasonable salesperson will understand that. Or you wait for a '12. And you do realize you can buy a car at one dealer and get service done at another, right? Hopefully!

And, nobody has addressed the fact that Ford has two hot selling products (Explorer and Focus) being produced in plants that are only running two shifts.

So Ford should just ramp up and run full bore, sell them while they are hot, then add huge incentives in a year to move product? Or lay off the 3rd shift? Or should they play it cautious and add the 3rd shift when they know they need it? Been there, done that, caused Ford to get in a boatload of trouble in the past.

Didn't Ford already announce a 3rd shift is coming to Chicago? Or am I remembering something that wasn't said?

Ahhh, but Ford did have it...at another dealer. The customer didn't want to shop at the other store.

So, Best Buy is sold out of the XBox. Wal-Mart has it, but you refuse to shop there. Demand is so high, the next 8 weeks' supply of XBox's at Best Buy is spoken for. This is somehow Microsoft's fault that the consumer won't go over to Wal-Mart and pick up the XBox?

You must have ESP.....I do in fact refuse to shop at walmart.! Basically all made in communist china stuff.

You will NEVER see me buy a imported product if the alternative to buy MADE IN USA or CANADA exists.

I am willing and do spend more for products made on this side of the planet. Sweat-shirt or car.

Unbeknown to you, i had a quite bad experience with that very same dealer, that had the EX we wanted.

A few years ago, i bought a Lincoln at that very same ford dealer.

After i took possession of the Lincoln, the phone calls started to come in, once or twice per day, wanting me to sign a new sales agreement.

Was a matter of the interest rate. There had been a low rate on new vehicles. The Lincoln i bought was a cab unit and i was told before making the deal that the low rate covered the cab unit too.

Make a long story short, i ended up getting my Lawyer involved. What they where attempting to do was bait and switch.

Ya all know the saying.....screw me once, shame on you.........screw me twice, shame on me. Don't you?

Would any of you go back there again?

Edited by Pete

When i started this thread, i never imagined that it would end up being what it has become.

Except for a few, the majority of reply's have been ignoring the true problem.

I have been labeled as being ridicules, demanding, unreasonable, and it's all my fault.

I take it for what it is.

My last post on the thread

Regards

Pete

You explain to the dealer that you would like to buy from him, but he doesn't have the car you want.

That exact thing happened to me about a month ago. The closest dealer that had the exact vehicle my wife wanted (no compromises) is 225 miles away. We elected to order one and it is to be built next week. His problem is Ford closed the '11 order bank without opening the '12.

So Ford should just ramp up and run full bore, sell them while they are hot, then add huge incentives in a year to move product?

Ford has a Flexible assembly plant with Chicago. If one is not selling, you build more of what is.

Or, Ford can just keep losing business to GM and the other manufacturers. Then they wont need to build any at all.

You guys are nuts putting the blame on the customer because Ford didn't have the vehicle he wanted. Especially because they refused to take an order for one with him waiting for it to be built. The '12 order bank should be open as soon as the '11 closes with the explanation that early orders may take a little while longer because of the balance out of the older model. This is further proof that the order process is broken. Retail orders should take precedence over stock 100% of the time, allocation numbers be damned.

Chicago could put on a third shift to produce more vehicles but Ford doesn't want to do it. The fault lies solely on them.

The 2011 order bank is not closed. I can place an order today and have it built at many dealerships. Pete's dealer is telling him they can't place the order for him. Why not order form another dealer at A plan and have it drop shipped to your preferede dealer?

Final allocation for the 2011 Explorer was given to dealerships by May 5. Pete wanted to place an order on May 7. The dealership told Pete they could not place the order. The Explorer will still be scheduling for June production over the next 3 weeks. The order bank for 2012 will open soon.

You understand that more goes into adding a third shift than just keeping the lights on. The global supply chain has been rocked over the past couple of months and there is no way you can simply ramp up production.

ETA: I just realized Pete is Canadian - I do not know their wholesale cycle.

Edited by Marginal Economist

• 2 weeks later...

That statement has no valitity to it. You could have easily purchased the vehicle from the dealer that had it in stock. Service could then be done at your prefered dealer.

They didn't turn your order down, they refused every 2012 order. Agencies here in NJ cannot order and are being told the 2012 date is unknown. These are dealers that orders in the hundred from single agencies.

I had similar problems with my 2011 limited order, but had to change the color. I was disappointed, but still think I got a great SUV, and the dealer gave me the tri-coat white for cost, which saved me about $75.

-m

Like any other rare cars or rare Christmas toys, if you really wanted it, you should've found a way.

Only item rare about the Explorer in this part of the nation, is seeing them on the roads. Dealers in this area have as many as 13 on their lot, with a dealer average of 7 Explorers, and they aren't not moving. My dealer in particular has 6 on their lot and talking with the my salesman, they can't seem to give them away. They've only sold 2 Explorers since they arrived on the lot.

You didn't say what your wife liked about the GMC. I did an extensive search of all the (smaller) 3rd row seat SUVs. While the GMC/Chevy twins offered good ride quality, the lack of technology was just inexcusable. Having to press the trip reset stalk to get to the VERY few display options, instantly kicked it down the list. Not even on the same planet as MyFord Touch and the Explorer's displays.

From the few sites I frequent, I wouldn't want MFT and Sync and all the stuff just yet, too many issues/bugs still being worked out.

Also if you don't want or need those items, who cares if the Explorer has them and the Terrain doesn't. I know I don't want those items on my next purchase.

Well.......once again, you're wrong!

A Spin doctor at work. Cant believe you are wasting your time dreaming things up.

But it adds towards your post count 5777.....wow, do you live here?

You must be a ford employee, as i see you hanging around the employee forum.

Are you planted on bluovalforum by ford to squash any and all posts that involve the slightest criticism towards ford, or are you just acting on your own? Are you alone or are there several Ford Police persons on here?

Pete, welcome to the site. There are a few posters here very much like this. I've had my days where I believed there are Ford PR moles here simply to spin anything/everything said negatively. Any criticism of Ford, heck just saying Ford in the wrong context and they are there to say and attempt to prove you wrong. Plus the fact that you went elsewhere and purchased a GM product upsets them.

I'm right there with you though. If I've had bad experiences or been mistreated by a dealer, restaurant, retail store, etc, I refuse to do business with them. That's why I too only deal with one straight shooting dealer that provides exceptional services from sales to service.

This guy is 100% right.

ding ding ding!

Or, Ford can just keep losing business to GM and the other manufacturers. Then they wont need to build any at all.

Wow, what a concept!

Only item rare about the Explorer in this part of the nation, is seeing them on the roads. Dealers in this area have as many as 13 on their lot, with a dealer average of 7 Explorers, and they aren't not moving. My dealer in particular has 6 on their lot and talking with the my salesman, they can't seem to give them away. They've only sold 2 Explorers since they arrived on the lot.

This is not true. Denver is at an 18 day ME Supply. Groove on Arapahoe has 5 in stock and has sold 51 YTD.

As I wrote in another thread here, our store has had no 2011 Explorers in stock since January as every Explorer received since was a retail order placed for a customer. We finally got all our outstanding 2011 Explorer retail orders scheduled and now have 5 stock orders in transit so that we can finally have units in stock to sell from.

As I wrote in another thread here, our store has had no 2011 Explorers in stock since January as every Explorer received since was a retail order placed for a customer. We finally got all our outstanding 2011 Explorer retail orders scheduled and now have 5 stock orders in transit so that we can finally have units in stock to sell from.

Mullinax Ford in Lake Park FL where I ordered and have my Explorer since Feb. has at least 15 2011 Explorers in stock right now. I bought a new 2012 Focus last Tuesday when I saw the large stock of 2011 Explorers. I used X-Plan and Private Cash for discounts on both my purchases. Even got the $1,500 Explorer Loyalty discount for my 2002 Explorer.

Why can't your dealerships get the amount of Explorers mine is getting?

From the few sites I frequent, I wouldn't want MFT and Sync and all the stuff just yet, too many issues/bugs still being worked out.

Also if you don't want or need those items, who cares if the Explorer has them and the Terrain doesn't. I know I don't want those items on my next purchase.

You see that's the advantage the Explorer has. You don't want Sync/MFT, you don't have to get it. It's at least an option. If you DO want Sync/MFT (or something like it) you currently can't get it in the competing GMC/Chevy product. In this case GMC/Chevy is the one who lost a potential sale.

My point is, I cared enough to not buy a Terrain. Wanting the technology, I excluded the GMC/Chevy. So having the MFT/Sycn option kept Ford in the running while it lost a possible sale for GMC/Chevy. There's a reason Chevy is releasing MyLink in the 2012 model year, they know that Ford has a sales advantage with Sync/MFT.

P.S. Sync has been out since 2008 model year. Sure MFT is new and getting updates to fix issues, but it's still better than not having an option at all.

Mullinax Ford in Lake Park FL where I ordered and have my Explorer since Feb. has at least 15 2011 Explorers in stock right now. I bought a new 2012 Focus last Tuesday when I saw the large stock of 2011 Explorers. I used X-Plan and Private Cash for discounts on both my purchases. Even got the $1,500 Explorer Loyalty discount for my 2002 Explorer.

Why can't your dealerships get the amount of Explorers mine is getting?

Ford's allocation system is based on a "Turn & Earn" system... The more you sell the greater the allocation. Most customers want to see, touch and drive the vehicle model they're interested in purchasing and we haven't had a 2011 Explorer in stock for anyone to drive since January. As such, we haven't been able to generate enough sales in order to trigger higher allocation numbers. Within the past 2 days, we've finally received 5 Explorer's for stock and 2 of them are already sold and being delivered today and tomorrow. It's hard to sell what you don't have in stock or show even though customers have been buying the 2011 Explorer sight unseen!

Ford's allocation system is based on a "Turn & Earn" system... The more you sell the greater the allocation. Most customers want to see, touch and drive the vehicle model they're interested in purchasing and we haven't had a 2011 Explorer in stock for anyone to drive since January. As such, we haven't been able to generate enough sales in order to trigger higher allocation numbers. Within the past 2 days, we've finally received 5 Explorer's for stock and 2 of them are already sold and being delivered today and tomorrow. It's hard to sell what you don't have in stock or show even though customers have been buying the 2011 Explorer sight unseen!

Ho-Hum... ordered a XLT Explorer to replace a Taurus X on April 9... but found out yesterday... no luck, no order... turned down... so... I am on the top of the list for the 12's... order book for the dealer shows Kona Blue, for the 2012, but according to the order sheet found here it is dark pearl blue... so who knows what will happen ...

Rick....Guess the cold in Minnesota keeps us from the preferred loop...

This is not true. Denver is at an 18 day ME Supply. Groove on Arapahoe has 5 in stock and has sold 51 YTD.

Interesting to note. How many of those 51 were customer orders, versus purchases off dealer lots? I don't venture down by Groove much, but travel much of the rest of the metro area, and the dealers I do happen by have a lot of the same units still sitting month(s) later. If they are selling, then people must be hiding them in their garage cause they sure aren't on the metro area roads. Or maybe they are from smaller towns around the state and purchased their Explorers locally for better pricing.

And from what you see on this site, you'd assume they were such hot sellers, since no dealer across the nation seems to have many if any of them in stock. Which my market clearly has an over abundance of Explorer's in stock at the dealers based on other peoples experience.

O'meara has 9 in stock, Sil-Terhar has 15 in stock, Freeway 5, Groove has 6, Go has 12 in stock with 5 still to come in, Fordland has 3, Mike Naughton has 10, Medved has 5. But what I've noticed, is dealers are swamped with Limited models and not enough XLT or Base models.

Edited by V8-X