2012 sedan owners - any regrets not going hatch?

GapBoyPCS

It seems there are more 2012 owners active here, so I want to toss this question out:

Do you have any regrets choosing the sedan over the hatch - specifically for cargo room/luggage space that you lost out on?

No, I'm car guy. I have an 03 SVT Focus, so I didn't need another hatch. The 5-doors are great for families, those who need to haul large items, want something with the flexibility of an mini SUV, or an 7/8 scale Toyota Venza.

Edited by fusion37

I don't regret it, maybe if it were my only vehicle. but then i personally wouldnt buy a focus if it were the only vehicle i owned or if i had a family. there's plenty of room for what i use it for.. hauling my ass to work and back. lol

Looks are a personal thing there, but I think in regards to trunk space, the hatch provides more vertical space, but doesn't give any more floor space, and for me at least, much of the things I do haul are not things that can be easily stacked on top of another.

I ordered a hatch simply because I like the looks better than the sedan. I also have a PT Cruiser turbo that I never really utilized they versitility of the car. When I need to haul something that would require removing the back seat (the PT back seat comes out and has wheels like a mini van) I just use my pick-up. Can't imagine I will do anything different with the Focus.

Edited by dgc333

I just got a sedan SEL Wed and would of gotten a hatch if there was any available around Eastern NC. Finding anything other then SE sedans is like looking for hen's teeth.

Was there a reason you couldn't wait? BTW - it's "would've" not "would of". Sorry, pet peeve.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually deciding this right now. I was always going to go for the hatch- but then today- I felt sort of too old for it? Thought the sedan looks a little more sophisticate/ classy while the hatch is a little too 20 something sporty. But I could use the space and ease of loading things into a hatch.

Decisions, decisions..

We have an SEL Sedan ; Almost (2) months old and 2,000 miles.

Sure, the sedan has better aerodynamic air flow, and it might be marginally safer due to its longer length giving a little more crush space in a rear-ender, but for us, the decision came down to looks. It was my wife's decision, and she liked the sedan and didn't car for the hatch. Except for higher vertical loads, there is alot of space in the sedan. In the SEL model, at least, the rear seats fold forward ; lift the seat bottom and fold it forward, and the seat backs go semi-flat. The seat bottom can be easily removed altogether by removing a couple of screws, then the seat backs go fully flat, and the footwells are open.

The one thing that has bugged me about the sedan involves the rear window. Due to its slope, it is difficult to reach to clean the inside surface. I have cleaned it several times, using different cleaners, but it is still not fully clean. You have to be careful because of the defroster grid being on the surface of the glass interior. The other thing is the lack of a rear wiper. The rear window tends to crud up quickly when driving in the wet, which could be nicely handled by the rear washer/wiper of the hatch. I have tried Rain-X on the rear glass, but it doesn't improve the situation.

If I had it to do over, I would give more serious consideration to the hatch, in spite of everything else, because of the rear window situation, which I consider to be a safety concern.

The wife and I ordered an SE sedan for her early spring and took delivery May 25th. So far we both really like it. She hated the look of the hatch and wouldn't even consider it..... I really had no preference but the hatch kinda kept growing on me as time went by.

We decided for the heck of it to take my '08 Fusion in to get a trade-in appraisal last Wednesday and the dealer made us an offer I couldn't refuse on it...... They only had (1) 2012 Focus in stock, a Kona Blue SEL hatch. Looked it over real good and it had all the options I wanted but one, the winter package. The sales guy threw a couple freebies at me and I told him to get the paper work started.

So now we have a Sterling Grey SE sedan and a Kona Blue SEL hatch sitting side by side in the driveway....hehe. I am happy with my new hatch!!

The wife and I ordered an SE sedan for her early spring and took delivery May 25th. So far we both really like it. She hated the look of the hatch and wouldn't even consider it..... I really had no preference but the hatch kinda kept growing on me as time went by.

We decided for the heck of it to take my '08 Fusion in to get a trade-in appraisal last Wednesday and the dealer made us an offer I couldn't refuse on it...... They only had (1) 2012 Focus in stock, a Kona Blue SEL hatch. Looked it over real good and it had all the options I wanted but one, the winter package. The sales guy threw a couple freebies at me and I told him to get the paper work started.

So now we have a Sterling Grey SE sedan and a Kona Blue SEL hatch sitting side by side in the driveway....hehe. I am happy with my new hatch!!

Sweet!

We ordered an SE sedan with the Sport package, we like the 5 dr better, but still like the looks of the sedan, and didnt think an extra door was worth $2000. Just sux that the dealer screwed up the order and an Auto version came in, instead of the 5 speed we ordered. :sos:

Who says the sedan is more aerodynamic? Historically hatchbacks have lower drag coefficients than sedans... is this not true of the Focus?

I don't think Ford Media has come out and said it outright: LINK

The new Focus has a drag coefficient as low as 0.295, a notable reduction from the 0.320 figure of the previous model.

A lot of other media outlets have gotten it.

For example: Car and Driver

“Well, strangely, it’s the sedan that achieves a 0.297 coefficient of drag,” Callum points out, although he counts it as a pyrrhic victory.

Moray Callum is the executive director of design.

To be honest, I don't think it's a major factor when someone buys a car these days :)