MyFordTouch Problems in 2012 Focus

jllewis

Hey everyone...I've had my 2012 Focus Titanium for about 6 weeks now and I love the car but am growing to hate MFT...was wondering if anyone else is having issues... some of mine include the following...

1) MFT wants to index my ipod at random times and this requires more than 30 minutes to do with my ipod. My trip to work is only 25 minutes. Thus, it only gets indexed on long trips which means I don't have access to voice features with my ipod until I take a long trip. Also...it will index it without me ever disconnecting it or adding any new songs. It will literally be plugged in for 2 weeks and then out of the blue it will start indexing it...drives me crazy. Wouldn't be a big deal if it only took a few minutes. My Ipod contains roughly 13 Gb of music which isn't all that much. As a reference point...my wife has a 2010 Fusion Hybrid and I've had zero issues with it. It indexes only after my Ipod has been disconnected and reconnected. Also, in my wife's car it takes a matter of a few minutes to index the whole Ipod. As I said, my car takes MUCH longer.

2) The screen went blank when driving the other day...just shut off and restarted in the middle of my drive and in the middle of a phone call.

3) The screen started flickering yesterday and kept telling me that my navigation system isn't working properly and that I need to have it serviced. It gave me that same prompt over and over and over...every minute for 25 minutes.

4) I could not access any voice features AT ALL during my drive yesterday. No matter how many times I pulled on the lever, I never got the "please say a command" prompt.

5)The navigation system wasn't responding in a way that made sense at all on our 4 hour trip from Kentucky through Ohio. I kept asking it to show me restaraunts along our route and it told me there were none...over a 4 hour drive? It also kept jumping around screens that I wasn't asking it to do. It would ask me a question and then when I would answer, it would exit the whole navigation system and I'd have to start again. My wife was ready to kill me and the car. On that note...my wife's 2010 Fusion Hybrid's nav system works beautifully and we've never had an issue. Mine...really has yet to work right. Also...I went through a tunnel about 2 weeks ago and when I came out the nav system was completely messed up and never corrected itself.

6) On my drive today, the screen kept lighting up like it was waking up and then it would go dark again...then light...then dark...over and over...all the way to work.

7) Sometimes the voice commands are fast and responsive...other times it reacts like an old 386...I can't figure it out.

Anyway...just wondered what some other experiences out there are like right now.

Try pulling the Sync/MFT fuse (not sure which one it is in the Focus but it's in the owner's manual) to reset everything. If problems persist have the dealer check to see if you have the latest software version. If you do then you might have a bad APIM. This has been a running issue with the 2011 Edges. The good news is one Focus owner reported getting an early release of MFT software that seems to fix all of the major issues (so far at least) and that it would be generally available in the next month or two.

Try pulling the Sync/MFT fuse (not sure which one it is in the Focus but it's in the owner's manual) to reset everything. If problems persist have the dealer check to see if you have the latest software version. If you do then you might have a bad APIM. This has been a running issue with the 2011 Edges. The good news is one Focus owner reported getting an early release of MFT software that seems to fix all of the major issues (so far at least) and that it would be generally available in the next month or two.

Wow...that would be a really good thing. To me...it just seems like incredibly buggy software right now. I just got done driving it and it was absolutely perfect. That's the thing...it does all of these crazy things but doesn't do them consistently. Do you think we'll be notified when the software update is available?

Wow...that would be a really good thing. To me...it just seems like incredibly buggy software right now. I just got done driving it and it was absolutely perfect. That's the thing...it does all of these crazy things but doesn't do them consistently. Do you think we'll be notified when the software update is available?

If it really does fix the problems then yes, I believe Ford will notify customers. They did this with one of the earlier releases for the Edge but it didn't fix all of the problems. Either way just check with the dealer if you continue to have problems. They'll know.

I have had just about all of the problems you have mentioned. However, I have noticed that I can usually browse the iPod even while it shows that it is indexing the device. The last time I drove my Focus before leaving on vacation last Thursday, the screen refused to ever come on the entire drive. I've had it reboot on me several times since I bought it, but I've never had it just refuse to come on. It was still refusing to turn on when I got back from vacation yesterday and went to drive the car to pick up dinner. I pulled the battery cable, as I could not find the fuse box (where the heck is it?--the manual writes, "It's on the right side near the glove box" or something like that, but I couldn't find it). The screen did come up (with the boot-up screen) after that. I also find it frustrating that it frequently forgets where I left off on my iPod, even though it was never disconnected. With my Yamaha receiver at home, it will remember what was last played even if it was disconnected from the dock. The system also thinks there are three USB devices plugged in called "Matts iPod". I have to guess right with the voice prompts to get the correct one. It seems to add a new USB "Matts iPod" when I disconnect it and reconnect it, but not always (it didn't last time--maybe three's the max?--odd since the car only has two USB ports). Pulling the positive battery cable didn't fix this.

I sure hope there's a fix for this soon. This is seriously bad behavior. I think I could have programmed it better myself.

Encountered my first MyFord Touch issue today on the commute to work. Playing songs from my iPhone via USB (seems streaming through Bluetooth doesn't allow access to playlists?), and it was moving along as expected.. shuffle.. song.. blah blah.. At one point, I wanted to increase the volume a bit because I had a large noisy truck next to me in traffic.. it wouldn't go using the buttons on the steering wheel.. but the knob in the center console worked.. figured I'd look at it later.. Anyway.. the next song started... and about half way in, I noticed the screen was still on the previous track.. Looks like the screen had locked up. So I tried unplugging my iPhone.. music stopped immediately. Plugged it back in.. the system recognized iPhone was connected to USB.. but no music. Then I tried the voice commands, and I didn't even get the "say command" prompt when I pulled the SYNC lever on the steering wheel. Hmm... odd..

I had about 28 miles left in the tank when I got off the freeway for work, so I decided to just hit the gas station right there around the corner. When I shut off the care at the pump, the touch screen stayed lit and frozen like it had been for the previous 20 minutes. I got out of the car wondering if I'd need to worry about a dead battery later in the day if this kept up. I went around to put fuel in the car, and after about 3 gallons, I peeked through the window and noticed that the screen was blank. Ok.. good, I think.

Finished up, got back in the car.. started her up.. the screen was black for about a 3 count.. and then it started up as usual.. but I did get the "please be careful while driving and use voice commands so you can pay attention etc etc" voice over I hadn't heard since I first got the car. However, it seems all my stuff was still set as it was.. AC was still AUTO to 68 degrees.. phone still paired.. phonebook still populated, etc.. It even picked up on the song it left off on when I disconnected the phone.. at the same spot.

Other trivia that may or may not be relevant:

I have 570 miles on the vehicle, and have owned it for about 1.5 weeks. I used the touch screen mainly for phone and music stuff, though that's mostly through voice commands, too. I do not have Navigation installed.

I also find it frustrating that it frequently forgets where I left off on my iPod, even though it was never disconnected.

Here's the behavior I quickly noticed with my iPhone (since I don't leave it in the car, except very rare occasions). If I leave it connected, and restart the car.. it "starts over". It'll start my playlist or whatever was going.. but not where it left off. Now.. if I get in the car.. plug in the iPhone to USB.. and "tell" it to start playing something... all goes well... when I park and leave the vehicle.. I turn off the car.. turn then unplug the phone. When I get back into the car.. if I plug in the iPhone before I start the car.. sometimes it'll read it and just start playing all the songs (not the playlist and not where it left off) and other it'll either read it and start playing, but with no sound or it won't even recognize the iPhone until I unplug it and plug it back in..

BUT, if I start the car and let the My Ford Touch screen boot up... THEN plug in the iPhone... it picks up right where I left off (whether the last time I was listening was when I got out of the car.. or in the office on earbuds.. it picks up where it stopped)..

Maybe that will help you? Granted it's a pain to have to plug/unplug.. but maybe that's better for the battery anyway? Unplug when you leave the car.. plug it back in after you start it.. see if it picks up where it left off.

Edited by Oroborus

1) MFT wants to index my ipod at random times and this requires more than 30 minutes to do with my ipod.

I noticed that every time I remove my iPod and sync it when I bring it back the systems says its "indexing" and it stays like that forever. I think I may have found a solution, its worked twice for me so far from a definite solution.

Plug the ipod in before turning the car on. Turn the car on and select the ipod, pause the music and let it start indexing. give it a few minutes doing this then shut the radio off using the power button. Turn radio back on and it will say indexing for a few second then it wlll say building media commands, again pause the music (multi tasking doest seem to be its strong suit). Let it do this for a minute or two then shut the radio off again and turn it back on. Now it should say indexing then building media commands then it will be done in a few seconds.

A stupid procedure I know but hopefully it will help.

I noticed that every time I remove my iPod and sync it when I bring it back the systems says its "indexing" and it stays like that forever. I think I may have found a solution, its worked twice for me so far from a definite solution.

Plug the ipod in before turning the car on. Turn the car on and select the ipod, pause the music and let it start indexing. give it a few minutes doing this then shut the radio off using the power button. Turn radio back on and it will say indexing for a few second then it wlll say building media commands, again pause the music (multi tasking doest seem to be its strong suit). Let it do this for a minute or two then shut the radio off again and turn it back on. Now it should say indexing then building media commands then it will be done in a few seconds.

A stupid procedure I know but hopefully it will help.

That sounds like a good idea. I'll definitely try it. Like I said...I'm just blown away at how long it takes to just do it itself. My wife's car ( 2 years older) is flawless. When MFT is working properly...it's like a dream. When it's not...its an embarrassment, lol. That's the strange thing...the problems are SO random. My last couple of days have been great...no problems at all...and then all of the sudden...I know it will start acting up. Like I said before...I just really think it's incredibly buggy at this point. I also wonder if the system itself has enough computing power to pull off all that it's trying to do...almost always seems sluggish.

After my screen froze up the other day, and reading about someone who recently got a NEW update, I contacted my dealer to ask if there were any updates available for My Ford Touch & SYNC.

Just got a return call right now. There is a new My Ford Touch/SYNC update available. I'll be getting mine updated after work today. :victory:

After my screen froze up the other day, and reading about someone who recently got a NEW update, I contacted my dealer to ask if there were any updates available for My Ford Touch & SYNC.

Just got a return call right now. There is a new My Ford Touch/SYNC update available. I'll be getting mine updated after work today. :victory:

Oh wow...that's great! Did it help?

I was really looking forward to doing these updates myself. I hope it hits the syncmyride site soon. I'd rather not have to do this through the dealer, and lose the time at work, etc.

Ford has stated that some updates will still be required to be installed by the dealer, so you're probably out of luck on this one.

Apparently it doesn't matter. It looks like maybe my car is in need of updates, if I'm understanding the confusing interface at syncmyride correctly. However, the download tools don't support Windows 7, and I don't have (secure) access to any older versions of Windows. I have tried to download the tool to check the version of SYNC in my car, and it fails to download all of the files. Come on, Ford, Windows 7 has been out for a while, and this isn't rocket science.

• 1 month later...

Be afraid. Be very afraid. :)

Mine seems to be quite a bit better after the 2.11 update. Still not perfect, but at least now the main problem is just the painful slowness, mainly for a few minutes after starting the car. I do have times occasionally when the stereo won't turn off when I press the power button, but not too often. It eventually turns off shortly after I get out of the car. At least it's never on automatically when I turn on the car now. Initially after the update, iPod functionality actually got *worse* for me (by a lot). Then my iPod locked up. I rebooted it (after unplugging from the car), and since then, it's been just fine (other than a bit slow as with everything in MFT). And I love the functionality and features of MFT. I'm excited about the complete rewrite by Microsoft instead of the hillbillies who wrote the current version.

• Like 1

Be afraid. Be very afraid. :)

Mine seems to be quite a bit better after the 2.11 update. Still not perfect, but at least now the main problem is just the painful slowness, mainly for a few minutes after starting the car. I do have times occasionally when the stereo won't turn off when I press the power button, but not too often. It eventually turns off shortly after I get out of the car. At least it's never on automatically when I turn on the car now. Initially after the update, iPod functionality actually got *worse* for me (by a lot). Then my iPod locked up. I rebooted it (after unplugging from the car), and since then, it's been just fine (other than a bit slow as with everything in MFT). And I love the functionality and features of MFT. I'm excited about the complete rewrite by Microsoft instead of the hillbillies who wrote the current version.

Mine seems a good bit better since the update too. I have just learned to not ask it to do anything for a minute or two after I start the car...because it probably won't anyway. There are still some minor gliches but nothing too terrible. There is a complete rewrite from Microsoft on its way? Will it be made available to us?

Apparently it doesn't matter. It looks like maybe my car is in need of updates, if I'm understanding the confusing interface at syncmyride correctly. However, the download tools don't support Windows 7, and I don't have (secure) access to any older versions of Windows. I have tried to download the tool to check the version of SYNC in my car, and it fails to download all of the files. Come on, Ford, Windows 7 has been out for a while, and this isn't rocket science.

Really? I upgraded my GF's SYNC on her Escape back in January or so and I had no issues with Windows 7

There is a complete rewrite from Microsoft on its way? Will it be made available to us?

Actually I believe its Ford doing the re-write...the subcontracted it out the first time and took it back in house after all the issues with it. No idea on the ETA, maybe the end of this year from what I remember seeing in an article.

Actually I believe its Ford doing the re-write...the subcontracted it out the first time and took it back in house after all the issues with it. No idea on the ETA, maybe the end of this year from what I remember seeing in an article.

Ford is doing it with a lot of assistance from Microsoft.

all of this makes me very nervous about MFT.

No doubt MFT is a work in progress, but things are getting better. I picked up my 2102 Focus, that was built on August 2th, a few weeks back and can report that, so far, MFT has worked just fine. I do have to make sure the cable that connects my iPod Touch to the USB port is in securely, but other than that, I got to say that I'm satisfied and impressed with this technology.

I can report after using MFT for a while since the upgrade that some of the issues are still there, but at least the frequency of them has gone down dramatically. Last night I had the system lock up while playing music for the first time since I updated. It surprised me, because it used to do it regularly before the update, and this was the first time it has happened since, even with having taken some road trips in the car (and my long commute). So, problems are still there, but happen much less often for me.

I am having an odd bug with the loudness of the voice prompts and beeps, though. It just started a few days ago. When I change this loudness setting, it doesn't take. Then, for no apparent reason (maybe there's a reboot in there that I don't see?), it does take. Of course, in trying to get it to make a difference, I have jacked it so far one way or the other that when it does finally take, it's either LOUD or very quiet. Right now it's stuck on very quiet.

I don't know if its MFT or what.. but lately.. probably every 10th time I start my car (I am in and out of the car all day) the temperature is reset to 70 degrees, no matter what it actually is outside. It slowly warms up (Been in the 90s lately) and goes back to what it should be.

Is this the temp sensor or the MFT reading it? Ugh. It's not critical.. as I can tell when it's hot. But it's a NEW issue that's cropped up. I haven't yet taken it to the dealership to get it updated (Still working on getting the collision damage repaired..).

MFT is the single biggest reason I got the new Focus as opposed to another Fusion (The Sync in the Fusion looked downright antiquated by comparison).

That being said, MFT is the single biggest reason I dislike my Focus at this point in time. It has all kinds of issues, with everything except the Nav (Strangely enough). I've had the usual reboots, the re-indexing at random starts, not pairing with phones consistently, I even had my AC turn on/off on its own!

Such a great idea MFT is, and such terrible, TERRIBLE implementation.