Next Generation Ford Edge Losing V6s

There's far more at play than coefficient of drag. Your argument is ridiculous.

What exactly is "ridiculous"? I was making the point that height alone will not determine aerodynamic efficiency, which is entirely true. Sure, my comparison was extreme, but it proved my point. The "ridiculous" argument is that the Edge will need to become a low-slung station wagon in order to have acceptable aerodynamics and fuel economy in the future.

Edited by NickF1011

For a 5 seater, the Edge is horribly overweight. Acura RDX/Chevy Equinox are 1200 pounds lighter. CX7 is around 1000 lbs lighter. Just ridiculous.

Edge SEL (AWD): 4,265 lbs.

Similar-sized V6 models:

Highlander Base (AWD): 4,266 lbs.

Murano S (AWD): 4,025 lbs.

Sorento LX (AWD): 4,131 lbs.

Pilot LX (AWD): 4,506 lbs.

MDX (AWD): 4,627 lbs.

Similar-sized I4 / I4T models:

CX-7 (AWD): 4,001 lbs.

Equinox (AWD): 3,786 lbs.

Smaller-sized I4T model:

RDX (AWD): 3,942 lbs.

Edited by The Outrage

Weight in lbs (FWD):

Edge - 4082

RDX - 3743

CX-7 - 3787

Equinox - 3786

Fuel economy with comparably powerful engines and FWD:

Edge V6 - 19/27 or 28

RDX I4T - 19/24

CX-7 I4T - 18/24

Equinox V6 - 17/24

If it's 300something (not NEARLY 1000) pounds heavier but is also more efficient and more powerful, what's the problem? :headscratch:

The best post of the day, Thank You! :)

Biker..what were the initial problems with the head and what exactly have they done to curb the issues?....

absent of more informed opinions on the issue, Ford uses EGR to compensate for not being able to run "true" lean burn.

because the EPA mesures Air at the MAF sensor, it allows ford to substitute inert exhaust gas, for real air, and reduce the amount of fuel injected to match what ever the MAF mesures to keep it at a Stoichimetric AF ratio, 14.7:1. This allows the engine to meet the rule forbidding lean burn, but at the cost of higher combustion temps, in the EB the temps combined with the pressures of the Turbo, and the high compression ratios being used. create knock, or detonation. the current solution is to use the cooling effects of the fuel itself, and run rich to prevent detonation. the emissions issue is that running rich, wets the walls of the cylinders creating issues with unburned fuel, of course normal engine use EGR to resolve that issue, but of course the EB cannot use it too much. So ford has to find a balance between these two unique problems. the easy thing to do is to sacrifice MPG or HP to resolve the problem. but ford is looking to fix it designing a new head. by integrating the exhaust manifold into the head casting, you can lower the exhaust temps, by having water jackets around the exhaust ports.

I'd imagine the fact that the EU uses 91 octane fuel is also causing some issues when making the engine work on US 87 octane.

I'd imagine the fact that the EU uses 91 octane fuel is also causing some issues when making the engine work on US 87 octane.

US and EU measure Octane differently....

From wiki:

California fuel stations will offer 87, 89, and 91 AKI (91, 93 and 95 RON) octane fuels