MF is a Genius

I don't even have to spell his name out, MF, you all know who he is by the initials, but enough with the intro, here's the meat and potatoes.

Since its inception, Ford Motor Company has been the driving force behind fundamental American industrial, business, and societal change. Moving assembly line, $5 a day wages, introduction of an inexpensive personal transporation device, etc. All brought us to what we have post-WWII today, an eroding manufacturing base, a bottom line focus on business, and an ever shrinking middle class. The 20th century gave birth to modern business, and the 21st century is going to evolve it.

There is no ONE other "game changer" to modern business than the individual nature of the internet. This is what vexes ANY of the business practices of the 20th century. Individual customer experience is what drives commerce in the 21st century. Toyota realized this way back when in the 70's, but their system is far from perfect, look how long it took them to get a reasonable competitor to the F-150. Customer focused business IS the 21st century, we no longer can continue to sustain post-WWII industrial, business, or societal practices.

Customer focus isn't a moniker, its THE ONLY WAY to secure business in the 21st century. If you've read anything by Subir Chowdhury and the book Blue Ocean Strategy, it explains that the development of a target customer, along with innovative ways of implementing products around one is the ONLY way to maintain the business. Its really a simple plan, keeping a "type" of person happy is A LOT easier than trying to make everyone happy. Apple, Motorola, even parts of Microsoft (Xbox, that's about it) know that one "type" of customer does wonders for the bottom line. Word of mouth advertising is the cheapest and most effective form of marketing, plus the mass market reaction can pay HUGE dividens if and when it catches fire. Mass market should be the exception, not the rule, study the IPod, you'll see.

Thus we arrive at the point of this post, MF is a true genius in this respect. This is the single point of entry where you either get it, or you don't. Ford WAS the post-WWII 400 lb. gorilla, yeah, GM took the market share, but Ford really had the mojo in tune with the practices of 20th century business. Mustang, Taurus, Explorer, etc. all great in their timeframe. Problem is, with that success, the culture of invincibility set in, the "next big thing" was always right around the corner, no worries right? It turns out that "the next big thing" mass market device is MUCH more expensive than keeping one "type" of customer happy.

This is where MF is going to turn the 400 lb. gorillas on their ear, Ford, the largest bastion of 20th century business practices, IS going to become the STANDARD that other businesses follow. MF's got the talent, he's got the experience, he's got the plan, its up to us to execute. Customer focus isn't a buzz word, its the standard that ALL business will follow, like he said "Change or Die baby."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's really going to upset you is how old I am, let's just say I'm in, "Generation Why?"

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

g48150,

great article.... I am no bussiness major, but if defining target customer is as powerful as you descbe it, then MF is indeed on a very right track. .after all that is what he did with Mazda - and that is what he did with FLM:

Ford: Bold Moves / Red White and Bold

Mercury: Metro Cool / "Come here import buyers"

Lincoln: : Reach Higher / American dreams / "self made optimists"

this is quite a clear definition of the brands - moreover, ford now has "Brand DNA" department that is in charge of making sure everyone is on track to address these target audiences, and that these brand definitions are not forgotten "How does this product communicate "Bold" to me?" "How is this product attractive to self made optimists?"

Igor

I have to admit that MF may be the right person to help turnaround Ford. But everyday I go to work and see those same dumb ass managers doing the same shit ( pumping out bad products to the dealers just to get a number) that brung us down it makes me wonder if we're moving anywhere at all.

And, if he has his way, we will be back to making $5 a day, or he will send the jobs somewhere else.

You know at this point in overall US economic globalization, the labor that CAN be outsourced, WILL be outsourced, its no secret, however despicable. I've chosen to arm myself with a college education, I know that college isn't for everyone, but its something that they can never, EVER, take away from me.

If the USA began to "sell" or "export" its education from the best universities over the internet, that is to say, have classes dedicated to online study of any subject at any university in this country, how much could we possibly make on that transaction. Having recently paid around $30,000 for a modest state college education (it WAS accredited, BTW), I know that there are MANY university students that pay upwards of $100,000 for tuition alone, not counting all the "incidentals".

If we could "sell" our education to anyone outside of the country willing to pay, I feel we could generate GDP and GNP like no other time in our history. We would have the revenue to END hunger, END homelessness, END the needless fight for entitlement in this country. However, this would require overhauling our entire scale of economy. Not to mention the feeling that we would "cheapen" our college educations that we have received.

But I digress from the topic, MF is a genius, customer focus will completely change the business landscape. The 21st century, however young, IS the proving ground for how we evolve as a nation and ween ourselves off of 20th century business practices. Ford, as usual, is the breeding ground for this, we MADE the 20th century what it was, and we WILL make the 21st century what it needs to be.

I have to admit that MF may be the right person to help turnaround Ford. But everyday I go to work and see those same dumb ass managers doing the same shit ( pumping out bad products to the dealers just to get a number) that brung us down it makes me wonder if we're moving anywhere at all.

Right there with ya man, I see what you're talking about EVERY SINGLE DAY! I feel sad, not for Ford, but for those that would cling to the past.

Because Fields figures that if nobody in America can buy a car, Ford will be much better off.

Mr Jensen i'm not sure how to take that one, have you joined the dark side, was it sarcasm,was your job also outsourced, an attempt at humor? Please elaborate. From what i've read of your posts here you seem to be a 100% die hard Ford fan.

Edited by Ron W.

It's sarcasm. Of course Fields, et al, want higher wages for Americans. Means more money for cars.

Unfortunately, it's really as much beyond Fields' control, as it is any other individual, whether or not certain skilled and unskilled jobs fall prey to price competition outside the U.S.

And, if he has his way, we will be back to making $5 a day, or he will send the jobs somewhere else.

Or, hopefully he'll lead the way in killing the UAW forever, so Ford and the other domestics could afford to build plants in the US again!

I'll bring the s'more fixin's...

If customer focus pushes Ford into a lean flexible organization that can adpat to market - then I agree.

I wonder how fast MF will be able to execute his plan and despite what I know of what he has done I don't feel that I know enough regarding his capacity to turn around Ford in NA. I hope he does.

If customer focus pushes Ford into a lean flexible organization that can adpat to market - then I agree.

I wonder how fast MF will be able to execute his plan and despite what I know of what he has done I don't feel that I know enough regarding his capacity to turn around Ford in NA. I hope he does.

this new system is pretty much in place . the brands are defined. The development system is already running, or about to launch. I believe the biggest gap right now is instylineg departments, as the new leadership is so new - I am sure they are still trying to define the way the new brand images are to be translated into design - common experior and interior styling language.

The Fairlane (or whatever it will be called), the MKS, the Focus and the B-segments (all due out in 2008) will show the new wave of development.

Igor

My one main concern still lies in the implementation of GPDS inside of PD, since it got mention in the Detroit News, I don't see the need to hide it anymore. There are MULTIPLE new processes that NO ONE in Ford has EVER had experience with, couple that with a shoestring budget, and look out, all these wonderful new ways to build cars are going to be as bad, if not worse, than the old way.

PD still relies TOO MUCH on the supplier for the grunt work (integration and test), HAVE WE NOT LEARNED FROM THE FIRESTONE PROBLEM??? These new systems going into cars now are so complex, it now takes a whole other computer to TEST the one computer that goes into the car. How this gets implemented is where I have THE most heartburn.

Having already been involved with systems engineering with another company, it pains me, EVERY SINGLE DAY, to see what the engineers (through no fault of their own), actually call systems integration. This magic phrase (systems integration) is used in EVERY other industry that has computer controlled devices, and there is no supplier on earth that is going to take responsibility for making sure that all the computers in a car all talk to each other correctly.

I'm sure there are countless other ways that Ford is going in a direction it never has before, but this one is really close to my heart, I want PD to succeed, but we're only taking half steps, and I'm not sure how to help with that. :shrug:

Alot of crack smokers here. MF stands for something else on the plant level and it is not MY FRIEND. We all see what JD2 is talking about with managers scared shitless about the future doing what ever they are told even though it is wrong.

Then we have Zanatwork who thinks that the UAW is at fault. Sure they are far from perfect and getting weaker all the time but with no union this company would really shit on the people today.

Igor your cheerleading is getting really old, you went from misspelling everything and appolgizing about it to being "we" in one of your post, like you work for Ford even though you say you don't. You also say that you are on BON during work like another thread get off and do your job or they just might figure out someone else might do it, with no union, no job.

Finally g48150 Mr. 6 sigma, you sound like a PVT engineer that writes that junk for roll test, you know the stuff that plays hell with us on the floor for 4 months after each new product year. Every time you download junk with PC anywhere over the net then we have to reload the old saved program into the machine to get it running with no one ever telling us that they changed it to begin with? About 5 years ago we figured it out, I still theaten to pull the plug on the network if you keep this up. I am glad that you see MF as the future but as someone who works in a different capacity within Ford than you I still have a long way to go to buy into his game, sorry I'm not trying to offend you just telling you what I see DOWN HERE. I moght not be able to outsource electrical work over the net but when Ford goes to outsource skilled trades I'm sure that the contractors will take a look at some of us to work for them right here at Ford.

Then we have Zanatwork who thinks that the UAW is at fault. Sure they are far from perfect and getting weaker all the time but with no union this company would really shit on the people today.

Not if the company wanted to attract skilled, talented workers. This isn't the 1930's. The robber barons are all but extinct. Information travels faster than it ever did. This is a different world and a different workforce, yet the UAW still uses the same tired, old, intimidation tactics they did way back when. Modern companies publicize their wages/salaries and benefits packages because they realize they NEED TO COMPETE!!!!! The company with the best workforce will come out on top. The UAW has completely outlived its purpose.

Edited by calypsocoral

Cal you also think that the wages today are this high because companies whated to part with all this money? That is what part of the unions in this country established, without some order in this crazyness the middle class would not exist, and after the last few years I wonder how long it will going "way forward".

<< Having recently paid around $30,000 for a modest state college education (it WAS accredited, BTW), I know that there are MANY university students that pay upwards of $100,000 for tuition alone, not counting all the "incidentals". >>

Yes and no. Not to hijack the thread, but I can firmly agree that the $30k for a state college education is about right. As for the $100k plus, most of those students are working with loans or scholarships to get into and stay in those colleges. I'd say the "many" is more like a "some" in today's America, especially when one compares numbers between state graduates and private graduates.

However, your lauding of MF makes sense if MF can manage to make Ford go. Somehow I feel Ford is now in a stronger position than GM to rebound, esp. with the Fusion and... other.. cars? Well, the triplets anyway.

The UAW is seriously hurting the domestic auto industry, and has to give back a huge amount if it wants to avoid its own demise. This is hardly new information, and certainly not something I haven't believed before seeing the numbers repeated from dozens of sources.

Deciding how Ford would treat its emplyees in a hypothetical situation, however, is pure BS-as is the hypothetical situation. If Ford ONLY had to employ the best people for the needed positions with realistic pension/benefits...Ford could pay each person more because they weren't paying a bunch of layabouts or other people barely working but getting full pay.

Ford would have to compete for the best possible people...and thus, couldn't afford to treat them badly.

Thanks for trying to assign my point of view, but I don't blame the UAW for design of managemental decisions, except where they make it too expensive-or too ridiculous-for Ford to create more jobs here.

Cal you also think that the wages today are this high because companies whated to part with all this money? That is what part of the unions in this country established, without some order in this crazyness the middle class would not exist, and after the last few years I wonder how long it will going "way forward".

back in the day when the domestics had little competition and most of the market share giving into ridiculous demands was still cheaper and easier than a stike would be... the unions were created to improve working conditions and improve pay in a market with little competion... now there are many organizations that make sure the workplace is safe and there is plenty of competition to determine the market value of factory workers. The middle class still exists and will continue to exist... of the 300,000,000 people in america.. 3-400,000 auto workers dont represent the entire middle class...

Yes and no. Not to hijack the thread, but I can firmly agree that the $30k for a state college education is about right. As for the $100k plus, most of those students are working with loans or scholarships to get into and stay in those colleges. I'd say the "many" is more like a "some" in today's America, especially when one compares numbers between state graduates and private graduates.

Back before the Governator Terminated California's subsidy for public education, the University of California in-state tuition/fees were $3600/year. 6 of the top 15 (4 of the top 10) public universities in the United States, for $14.5k for four years. Sadly, that's about doubled in the last 3 years (to something like $6500/year).

Edited by Noah Harbinger

[

back in the day when the domestics had little competition and most of the market share giving into ridiculous demands was still cheaper and easier than a stike would be... the unions were created to improve working conditions and improve pay in a market with little competion... now there are many organizations that make sure the workplace is safe and there is plenty of competition to determine the market value of factory workers. The middle class still exists and will continue to exist... of the 300,000,000 people in america.. 3-400,000 auto workers dont represent the entire middle class...

First what is ridiculous demands? health care second to none and a pension to retire on? Like any top white collar Ford employee? When anything from plant manager up gets a car every year on top of thier retirement why should I want to leave with nothing? I think these 2 issues will be the big fight in 2007 when the contracts roll around. You are right when you say unions were created to improve working conditions, from the safety, workload, overtime wage, ect... that goes for all unions not just the UAW. What most fail to understand or acknowlege is that the UAW is not the only union to fight the fight for the workers that they represent. Coalminers was one of the first to have some safety because of unions, with them somewhat "giving back" is that why we see more problems lately? As far as competion other unions have to fight non-union shops all the time, constuction, teamsters just to name a few. Do you really think that the Mexican worker on the constuction job is competitive in his pay? More like a higher profit margin for the employer. Do you think that the quality is there After they build your house let us know. For now the middle class does exist but the way america as a whole is going with the "as long as it doesn't effect me" attitude it will be a shorter ride than you think before its gone. When no one is at the race track watching your car go fast you will know......... and that sucks because I like to watch fast cars.

Things are starting to move folks, the BEST new vehicle warranty, Board of Directors taking a paycut, divdend halved, I even got a email today that had an invitation to go to the Way Forward training so I can hear what the management has in store for me (I'm in PD if you haven't noticed).

MF WILL be the most hearalded LEADER in this decade. There is a big difference between a VP and a LEADER, there is no comparison, you're looking at a future Presidential candidate, folks. Say what you will about moving jobs out of the country, closing plants, and layoffs, but he's got it nailed, its all about the customer.

MF for Prez, 2012, I'll be waiting...

Hopefully Fields is smart enough to listen to people smarter than him. And smart enough to stay out of politics.

He is US political system is designed to discourage the most courageuos from trying to run it ... too much red tape .. protects against overachievers like Napoleaon...

back on topic... I really think you are right abour MF g48150 .... I ave liked him since he took over, and for now has been making some very good moves ....

- revived hurricane

- cancelled crap in the pieline

- got us onto the C2 team

- got us onto the B1 team

- started using the GDS

- Fairlane

- MKS

- new corporate politics

- Ann Stevens in charge of engineering

- Callum in charge of design (of cars)

not much detailed product news yet, but with most of the releases coming in 2008 this would be way too early.. I just hope they will not dissapoint.

Igor

Things are starting to move folks, the BEST new vehicle warranty, Board of Directors taking a paycut, divdend halved, I even got a email today that had an invitation to go to the Way Forward training so I can hear what the management has in store for me (I'm in PD if you haven't noticed).

MF WILL be the most hearalded LEADER in this decade. There is a big difference between a VP and a LEADER, there is no comparison, you're looking at a future Presidential candidate, folks. Say what you will about moving jobs out of the country, closing plants, and layoffs, but he's got it nailed, its all about the customer.

MF for Prez, 2012, I'll be waiting...

Divdend halved, does that make you happy? Do you have any Ford stock in your SSIP? Since I always chastize you will you answer any of these questions? You have not yet, I'm not surprised but MF for president of what? Thier are leaders and followers.................

Divdend halved, does that make you happy? Do you have any Ford stock in your SSIP? Since I always chastize you will you answer any of these questions? You have not yet, I'm not surprised but MF for president of what? Thier are leaders and followers.................

It's better to lose half of a pittance of a dividend now -- but with hope of a much larger dividend in the future -- than to lose your entire investment a few years down the road.