Thinking about buying a Focus

I have my Ranger and I love my little truck but a few things are bearing their heads. I have been looking at the 2012 Focus a bit lately, and I have even been seeing them around on the streets too. I like them, quite a bit. I really like the hatchback though and I just think it's a great looking car.

I went to my local dealer and took a peek at them. I do have a few questions though....

- X plan deal on them seems pretty weak. Is that normal? I didn't know X plan varied car to car, but is that the norm? Will the discount be better in a few months?

- Manual trans availability. I think I would want an SEL or Titanium model. Can I get a manual trans with one? I would be willing to order if that was the case. I don't see it as an option on the website, but..... well, I would prefer a stick but I don't really want the base model either.

Other than that... I really like the car, and I'm not 100% decided IF I will do it yet, but I am very interested right now. Just gotta see if the numbers work out. Commuting in my Mustang and Ranger 65 miles a day is starting to take it's toll, and the $400-500 a month for fuel ALONE is starting to get to me. (yeah, I know a new car will still cost more long term, but can't WANT pay a part in a purchase?)

How much was the X-plan relative to MSRP?

Depends which model. on the SEL 5 door it's a touch less than $900 below MSRP. When I bought my Ranger it was around $1500 off if I remember correctly. Of course, the Focus has no rebates available right now either.

X plan is based on dealer invoice and it won't change. It used to be cheaper - they increased X plan prices by $275 a couple of years ago. It's still a good deal because they can only charge $100 doc fee.

You can only get a manual on the SE right now. You'll be able to get the ST model next year with a manual and a 250 hp ecoboost 2.0L (or thereabouts). I expect it to be better equipped in addition to having more performance.

Give the automatic a test drive. It's fairly sporty with the sport mode and the selectshift mode.

Depends which model. on the SEL 5 door it's a touch less than $900 below MSRP. When I bought my Ranger it was around $1500 off if I remember correctly. Of course, the Focus has no rebates available right now either.

The difference between dealer invoice and MSRP is much less on lower priced vehicles.

X plan is based on dealer invoice and it won't change. It used to be cheaper - they increased X plan prices by $275 a couple of years ago. It's still a good deal because they can only charge $100 doc fee.

You can only get a manual on the SE right now. You'll be able to get the ST model next year with a manual and a 250 hp ecoboost 2.0L (or thereabouts). I expect it to be better equipped in addition to having more performance.

Give the automatic a test drive. It's fairly sporty with the sport mode and the selectshift mode.

Ok, makes sense for the X-Plan. I'm not trying to stick it to the dealer too much (It's a business, I know) but I was just curious.

I really don't care for automatics. My Ranger is automatic, but my old one was stick. My Mustang is stick and I drive it a ton more than the Ranger even. I've had my Ranger for almost 2.5 years and it's got about 26,000 miles on it. For the last year I've had to do the aforementioned 65 mile a day to commute too, so that shows how little I've been driving it lately.

Truth be told, I've put over 10K miles on my Mustang since buying it a touch over a year ago. It has become my primary daily driver and the Ranger just sits during the week. Why? Well, Ranger gets worse mileage than my V8 Mustang and over 300 miles a week to and from the office, it starts to add up.

A Prius will save you money faster. Or a fiesta.

If he is doing a 65 mile a day commute and it is highway driving, the value of a Prius (or any hybrid for that matter) diminishes greatly. He would be better off in the aforementioned Focus or similar sub-compact hatch with an efficient 4 cylinder / manual transmission setup....Have you considered a Used I4/manual Fusion or older Focus...say one or two years old?

• Like 1

I hate haggling with dealers which is why I was thankful for one of the paint guys at the Louisville plant for giving me an X-plan PIN to buy a Mountaineer Premier in '06. But X-Plan PINs are really tough to come buy. I too am thinking about a Titanium 5 door with Nav and Sunroof.

Here is my question. Has anyone had any experience with buying through COSTCO or other buying services? My boss bought a Hyundai Sonota through COSTCO. But before I run out and become a member, I just want to know other peoples experiences.

I hate haggling with dealers which is why I was thankful for one of the paint guys at the Louisville plant for giving me an X-plan PIN to buy a Mountaineer Premier in '06. But X-Plan PINs are really tough to come buy. I too am thinking about a Titanium 5 door with Nav and Sunroof.

Here is my question. Has anyone had any experience with buying through COSTCO or other buying services? My boss bought a Hyundai Sonota through COSTCO. But before I run out and become a member, I just want to know other peoples experiences.

there is a whole forum here dedicated to X-plan pins.

usually the workers want you to buy a new ford.

go here

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/forum/45-ford-x-plan-pin-requests/

I never really got that. I would think that in this era of constrained supply, the workers would want buyers to pay full price, and make the company more profitable.

its not like they losing that much more money on and it might make a difference in a sale...better to sell something at $500 off vs no sale at all.

If he is doing a 65 mile a day commute and it is highway driving, the value of a Prius (or any hybrid for that matter) diminishes greatly. He would be better off in the aforementioned Focus or similar sub-compact hatch with an efficient 4 cylinder / manual transmission setup....Have you considered a Used I4/manual Fusion or older Focus...say one or two years old?

I have thought of that too. I can't help it but the 2012 hatchback is just a damn good looking car. A Prius or a Hybrid just isn't worth it to me with my commute. It's almost all highway, and A hybrid will lose an edge there rapidly. I just prefer a standard transmission, and unless the one in the Focus really sucks, I would be very, very hard pressed to take the auto instead. Even if I do have to lose 2mpg on the highway. Besides, the $9K spread in price would really ruin it for me to gain 5mpg.

Tim - I have thought of getting the SE and just optioning it up in order to keep the manual trans. I checked them out on the website, and the only thing I really would like is the Titanium Sport package which would have some different suspension and 18" wheels. If I could get that on the SE, gimme one in dark grey with the two tone red interior, Sync and a stick I'd be a happy man.

its not like they losing that much more money on and it might make a difference in a sale...better to sell something at $500 off vs no sale at all.

I can't see how selling a car at invoice or $1000 over invoice increases Ford's profitability. Ford only gets invoice regardless. The thing that affects the level of profitability for Ford is rebates (or lack thereof). Assume no rebate and $1000 over invoice, the dealer gets that $1000, not Ford.

• Like 1

Get a SE like the C&D car, with the Sport Package (manual, bigger wheels, rear disc brakes) with regular Sync (not MFT) and you'll have a great all around car for under $21K.

:yup:

Right transmission, right features, right price. This configuration is the one to get. :shades:

I can't see how selling a car at invoice or $1000 over invoice increases Ford's profitability. Ford only gets invoice regardless. The thing that affects the level of profitability for Ford is rebates (or lack thereof). Assume no rebate and $1000 over invoice, the dealer gets that $1000, not Ford.

That's true but in the case of a X plan sale, Ford gives the dealer an extra spiff check for each sale (around $400 IIRC). So they make less on a X plan sale than a regular sale.

That's true but in the case of a X plan sale, Ford gives the dealer an extra spiff check for each sale (around $400 IIRC). So they make less on a X plan sale than a regular sale.

But at the same time they don't have to waste time haggling with the customer....I'd rather have the easy money instead of trying to get blood from a stone from a non-plan buyer.