Whats a union?

Fatso

Me and you,We are the union.So many posts on these message boards where supposedly union brothers and sisters run each other into the ground?So your fellow worker has a problem with a thug boss and you dont.So is there a problem?So your fellow worker has a hard time keeping his family together under the relentless pressure of this MOA we have here at DTP is there a problem or not?Unionism or being united means committment to sticking together to make our work environment better not 'Be lucky you got any job at all,you POS'.The government may be against us.The media and consequently the public may be against and positively for sure the company resents us.One sure way we all go down is if we dont stick together.For today and for our UAW heritage we can at least do that!

Edited by Fatso
  • Like 2

Me and you,We are the union.So many posts on these message boards where supposedly union brothers and sisters run each other into the ground?So your fellow worker has a problem with a thug boss and you dont.So is there a problem?So your fellow worker has a hard time keeping his family together under the relentless pressure of this MOA we have here at DTP is there a problem or not?Unionism or being united means committment to sticking together to make our work environment better not 'Be lucky you got any job at all,you POS'.The government may be against us.The media and consequently the public may be against and positively for sure the company resents us.One sure way we all go down is if we dont stick together.For today and for our UAW heritage we can at least do that!

Its a problem that is way bigger than UAW members being divided. Its a problem of this WHOLE COUNTRY being divided politically, racially and economically. Its kinda bad that people cant put their politics and ideaology aside at a time when this country desperately needs to come together and solve the major problems it has. Im guilty of it too

• Like 1

"What's unions done for American labor?"

" Ended child labor

Created the 8 hour work day

Created the 40 hour work week

Paid Overtime

Weekends (yes, they didn't exist as days off before unions)

Workers compensation for people injured on the job

Unemployment insurance

Paid sick leave, vacations, and holidays as standard benefits for most workers

Health Insurance for many workers

Pensions or 401Ks for many workers

Improve workplace safety and reduce on the job fatalities

Pushed for Civil Right Acts and Title VII which outlaws job discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex or national origin

Occupational Safety and Health Act

Family Medical Leave Act

Push for livable minimum wage................."

While discussing what role unions have in America today, lets not forget what benefits most workers in America (including non-union businesses) have today that's taken for granted. Those of you saying "Thank God it's Friday!", also remember to thank unions or there's a good chance you'd be working tomorrow.

Edited by Dale143
  • Like 1

" Ended child labor

Paid Overtime

Unemployment insurance

Pushed for Civil Right Acts and Title VII which outlaws job discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex or national origin

Family Medical Leave Act

While discussing what role unions have in America today, lets not forget what benefits most workers in America (including non-union businesses) have today that's taken for granted. Those of you saying "Thank God it's Friday!", also remember to thank unions or there's a good chance you'd be working tomorrow.

Good post Dale

Unions also gained seniority rights, fair job bids and piece of mind from threats of out of line Supervisors.

Also dont forget Unions are the only entity fighting for social and economic justice

In other words.............

They are the only organization stopping the Republican agenda from destroying the middle class.

• Like 2

" Ended child labor

Paid Overtime

Unemployment insurance

Family Medical Leave Act

Not debating your points, at this time, but SOME of us ARE working tomorrow because 40 hours isn't enough to pay the taxes and provide for my family as I feel a father and husband should.

Enjoy your day "off".

• Like 2

At DTP we work 10.7 hours a day!

By my calculations that is more than

8 hours a day and more than 40 hours

a week!

And only 4 days a week and 42.8 hours worked, wow,,, big deal

You are pathetic.

4 day work week is the best gig in town and whiners like you still complain

Go tell your neighbor eating ramon noodles and has to work 16 hours a day how bad the union treats you with only having to work 4 days a week.

Edited by Armstrong
  • Like 2

Good post Dale

Unions also gained seniority rights, fair job bids and piece of mind from threats of out of line Supervisors.

Also dont forget Unions are the only entity fighting for social and economic justice

In other words.............

They are the only organization stopping the Republican agenda from destroying the middle class.

All that was gained in the History of Unions KING was willing to give away by taking away our right to strike! Was that the Repubs that wanted to give that away?????

• Like 3

All that was gained in the History of Unions KING was willing to give away by taking away our right to strike! Was that the Repubs that wanted to give that away?????

Oh Republican Sheeple,

Please tell me what do Republican Governors Rick Snyder, Scott Walker and John Kasich have in common?

Union busting….. Oh and they are coming for the private sector next.

You seem to be belly up to the Republican Kook Aide bar getting a belly full of republican elixir.

Keep on supporting Republicans and we will continue to struggle for pay increases.

No pay increase since 2005? Gee your hero and American Traitor GW Bush, yes a Republican just about killed this country with the Republican agenda.

I thought the Octo-mods specifically said we would not strike over wage and benefit increases???

Do you really think we are in a position to strike over wage and benefit increases??

You must have been misinformed again by your Kook Aide addiction.

• Like 2

I'm just saying it's more than 8 hours a day and it's more than 40 hours a week....

Why don'y you try working a vehicle assembly line for 10.7 hours a day and it won't be long that you will be saying 10.7 hours is too long to do this kinda work.....Five 8 hour days would be much better cause you spend your 1st day off recouperating,so actually you have 2 days off that you feel like doing something....

That 2.8 hours of OT worked is a big deal when you are working over 10 hours.......

Really?!?!

• Like 1

Oh Republican Sheeple,

Please tell me what do Republican Governors Rick Snyder, Scott Walker and John Kasich have in common?

You seem to be belly up to the Republican Kook Aide bar getting a belly full of republican elixir.

Keep on supporting Republicans and we will continue to struggle for pay increases.

No pay increase since 2005? Gee your hero and American Traitor GW Bush, yes a Republican just about killed this country with the Republican agenda.

I thought the Octo-mods specifically said we would not strike over wage and benefit increases???

Do you really think we are in a position to strike over wage and benefit increases??

Care to explain why GE CEO Jeffrey Immelt, the Head Of Obama’s Jobs Council, Is Moving Jobs And Economic Infrastructure To China At A Blistering Pace?

If you opened your eyes, and thought for yourself, you'd see both sides are screwing you over. The only difference is, the one side has convinced you they aren't. So be careful on who you accuse of drinking the Kool Aid. Seems like you've had a few glasses yourself

• Like 4

Care to explain why GE CEO Jeffrey Immelt, the Head Of Obama’s Jobs Council, Is Moving Jobs And Economic Infrastructure To China At A Blistering Pace?

If you opened your eyes, and thought for yourself, you'd see both sides are screwing you over. The only difference is, the one side has convinced you they aren't. So be careful on who you accuse of drinking the Kool Aid. Seems like you've had a few glasses yourself

Why is a SCAB posting here?

This thread is about unions.....something you are against.

Go away SCAB

Edited by Aces
  • Like 1

Oh look...a lying SCAB with childish graphics to post!

Are you 12?

Yep, I'm 12. How old are you going to claim you are today? Old enough to claim you worked for 37 years at STAP (without ever being able to prove you actually did), or young enough where you use terms like "cocksuckers" or say things like "jerking off to me"?

• Like 2

At DTP we work 10.7 hours a day!

By my calculations that is more than

8 hours a day and more than 40 hours

a week!

As I said before we just pay an organization

a monthly fee to be employed!

Listen brother, I'm not looking to start a war of words with you but I get a little annoyed when I hear people say that the union is nothing more than an organization that we pay a monthly fee to in order to be employed. Could it be that just maybe you are a little spoiled? Now before you freak out, hear me out on this! I remember when I first hired in at Ford and I also remember how freaking happy I was to have such a good paying job. The thought that I could now have a good life and supply for my family was an awesome feeling. I remember telling the guys I hired in with that if they ever heard me bitch and moan about my job, I wanted them to punch me square in the mouth! Do you honestly feel that Ford Motor Company gave you a good paying job with all the benefits that you currently enjoy out of the kindness of their hearts? The very Union you are soooo disgusted with is the reason you have what you have. I may not always agree with what the Union does and I may not always agree with the direction they want to go in, but I will always be thankful for what this Union has done for me and my family. For you or anyone else to come on here and dismiss that while enjoying the benefits that you would not have otherwise is a slap in the face to all the people that have fought so hard. Now like I said....I'm not looking to have a war of words but before you come on here and dismiss the Union so quickly, take a HONEST look around and if you can tell me that you would be better off never having been hired into a union facility, maybe that sour taste in your mouth is from not having the balls to go out and take your chances without having the UNION there to ensure your rights aren't violated. All I am trying to say is that you can disagree with things your Union has done (or is doing) without making it sound as if the Union is useless.

• Like 8

Listen brother, I'm not looking to start a war of words with you but I get a little annoyed when I hear people say that the union is nothing more than an organization that we pay a monthly fee to in order to be employed. Could it be that just maybe you are a little spoiled? Now before you freak out, hear me out on this! I remember when I first hired in at Ford and I also remember how freaking happy I was to have such a good paying job. The thought that I could now have a good life and supply for my family was an awesome feeling. I remember telling the guys I hired in with that if they ever heard me bitch and moan about my job, I wanted them to punch me square in the mouth! Do you honestly feel that Ford Motor Company gave you a good paying job with all the benefits that you currently enjoy out of the kindness of their hearts? The very Union you are soooo disgusted with is the reason you have what you have. I may not always agree with what the Union does and I may not always agree with the direction they want to go in, but I will always be thankful for what this Union has done for me and my family. For you or anyone else to come on here and dismiss that while enjoying the benefits that you would not have otherwise is a slap in the face to all the people that have fought so hard. Now like I said....I'm not looking to have a war of words but before you come on here and dismiss the Union so quickly, take a HONEST look around and if you can tell me that you would be better off never having been hired into a union facility, maybe that sour taste in your mouth is from not having the balls to go out and take your chances without having the UNION there to ensure your rights aren't violated. All I am trying to say is that you can disagree with things your Union has done (or is doing) without making it sound as if the Union is useless.

Great Post! The General is just another example of the right wing attack otn the union. He puts his political party ahead of his livihood! These guys fight for a cause thats out to destroy there way of life. I wish they could have tried it without the union, they woud not be able to have the things that they have. Leave the union is you are so upset with them and see how far you make it. POS!

Great Post! The General is just another example of the right wing attack otn the union. He puts his political party ahead of his livihood! These guys fight for a cause thats out to destroy there way of life. I wish they could have tried it without the union, they woud not be able to have the things that they have. Leave the union is you are so upset with them and see how far you make it. POS!

Aren't you the guy who thinks the retirees don't matter, as long as you "get yours"?

I love when the true colours come out of these union lovers and expose them for being as selfish as the ones they claim to rally against

Just a question for those who think unions are all high and mighty, and its the Right that wants to destroy the middle class. The city I live in has a 9.1% unemployment rate (which will be worse following the closing of STAP. The Provincial and Federal unemployment rate is 7.9% and 7.5% respectively. So clearly this area is hurting. Yet, the head of the firefighters union for the city wants raises for all the members. It should be noted that last year, 1 in 4 firefighters in this city made over $100,000. Now, if they are successful in getting that raise, where will that money come from? Well, it will either be taken from somewhere else in the City's budget, or our taxes will have to go up. So what about the 9.1% of people that aren't working. Don't you think having their taxes raised, or services cut, will have a devastating effect on them?

Unfortunately, the truth of the matter is, the Right isn't out to hurt the middle class anymore than the Left is.

• Like 1

Aren't you the guy who thinks the retirees don't matter, as long as you "get yours"?

I love when the true colours come out of these union lovers and expose them for being as selfish as the ones they claim to rally against

Just a question for those who think unions are all high and mighty, and its the Right that wants to destroy the middle class. The city I live in has a 9.1% unemployment rate (which will be worse following the closing of STAP. The Provincial and Federal unemployment rate is 7.9% and 7.5% respectively. So clearly this area is hurting. Yet, the head of the firefighters union for the city wants raises for all the members. It should be noted that last year, 1 in 4 firefighters in this city made over $100,000. Now, if they are successful in getting that raise, where will that money come from? Well, it will either be taken from somewhere else in the City's budget, or our taxes will have to go up. So what about the 9.1% of people that aren't working. Don't you think having their taxes raised, or services cut, will have a devastating effect on them?

Unfortunately, the truth of the matter is, the Right isn't out to hurt the middle class anymore than the Left is.

This is a union thread.

Go away SCAB.

This is a union thread.

Go away SCAB.

Why? I've being paying Union dues for a decade. You have never paid one cent in dues. You should be the one going away.

Furthermore, since you felt the need to reply, why don't you address the issue I raised about my City's FD? Oh that's right, because you don't have a ink to post to to tell you what to think.

Disappear like you did when it came time to serve your country. Deserter.

• Like 1

Why? I've being paying Union dues for a decade. You have never paid one cent in dues. You should be the one going away.

Furthermore, since you felt the need to reply, why don't you address the issue I raised about my City's FD? Oh that's right, because you don't have a ink to post to to tell you what to think.

Disappear like you did when it came time to serve your country. Deserter.

Uh, this is a Ford employee forum! Not a FD forum! If you don't work for Ford, then please post elsewhere. Thanks

Edited by el norte

Oh Republican Sheeple,

The question was it a Dem or a repub that wanted to take our right to strike away???? You Dems can't swallow the fact that it was a UNION DEM. that wanted to do that!!! Re-Read your own post---one sentence your saying"Supporting repubs and we will continue to struggle for pay increases next one your supporting the octo-mods saying king said specifically NO strike over wage and benefit increases. If our DEM UNION leadership had their way there would not be ANY struggle over wages and benefits it would have been GAME OVER! You can engage in all the name calling you want but the Facts are Facts and they aint going to change. :finger: :finger:

• Like 2

Uh, this is a Ford employee forum! Not a FD forum! If you don't work for Ford, then please post elsewhere. Thanks

Might want to double check the information. I've worked at St Thomas Assembly for a decade. Aces claims to have worked there for 37 years, yet when he was asked to provide a single piece of evidence to support that claim, he could not.

I raised an issue about what the union was, and why people think it's good for the middle class. But no one has offered a rebuttal.

• Like 3

Might want to double check the information. I've worked at St Thomas Assembly for a decade. Aces claims to have worked there for 37 years, yet when he was asked to provide a single piece of evidence to support that claim, he could not.

I raised an issue about what the union was, and why people think it's good for the middle class. But no one has offered a rebuttal.

I personally wasn't blaming either side due to the fact that BOTH SIDES ARE PUPPETS doing NOT whats best for this country but whatever they are told to do from their campaign contributors. Big business and the wealthy control this country for the most part. As far as why I think the Union is good for the middle class, it's simple.....I would rather have a FAIR contract negotiated on my behalf that both sides are obligated to follow than to rely on the kindness of my employer. As I said before, the company isn't going to give you fair wages and benefits out of the kindness of their hearts. They started their business with the intent of making a profit and the better the wages and benefits, the less profit they make.

As far as the firefighters that were mentioned, I personally think that anyone that puts their lives on the line for OUR protection SHOULD be paid very well. Is $100,000 a year for someone who risks their life everyday to much considering executives are making millions? Having said that though, I will say that Unions need to look at the big picture when they are negotiating. If the company or whoever they are negotiating with is hurting, that's not the time to push for wage increases. Just like the UAW did when Ford was in trouble, there may be a time for concessions. But without a union fighting for your behalf, when times are good and you want your piece of the pie that you helped get, the chances that the company is going to simply give you a raise are slim to none.

• Like 2