Can you say multi-million dollar fine or firestone all over again?

mizzitch

First off I have tried to deal with customer support through my dealer and FoMoCo with no sucess.

I have a 2010 F-350 equip'd with the gov't mandated TPMS which is "great" except the warning light is always on. Ford Corporate does not allow their dealers to reprogram the computer for tires with a lower max PSI (but still load range E).

The law says the monitor should alert when tire pressure falls. Currently the TPMS will not do this in my vehicle since it is always on and Ford will not allow a change to the system to bring it back into working condition. I suspect at least 10% of super duty's have wider than factory tires and are experiencing this same issue. It is only a matter of time before the NHTSA is after manufacturers to allow this system to be updated.

I am willing to pay to have the computer updated, but disallowing updates of this nature does not make sense.

Ford Corporate does not allow their dealers to reprogram the computer for tires with a lower max PSI (but still load range E).

If the tire is the same load range, why would ypu want a lower pressure ?

Tire manufacturers usually recommend setting the tire pressure at vehicle manufactures specs.

• Like 1

First off I have tried to deal with customer support through my dealer and FoMoCo with no sucess.

I have a 2010 F-350 equip'd with the gov't mandated TPMS which is "great" except the warning light is always on. Ford Corporate does not allow their dealers to reprogram the computer for tires with a lower max PSI (but still load range E).

The law says the monitor should alert when tire pressure falls. Currently the TPMS will not do this in my vehicle since it is always on and Ford will not allow a change to the system to bring it back into working condition. I suspect at least 10% of super duty's have wider than factory tires and are experiencing this same issue. It is only a matter of time before the NHTSA is after manufacturers to allow this system to be updated.

I am willing to pay to have the computer updated, but disallowing updates of this nature does not make sense.

So what is the actual tire pressure vs. what is recommended? The max pressure on the tire has NOTHING to do with the vehicle's recommended pressure or the TPMS thresholds. Either your tires are too low or the TPMS is malfunctioning.

if its like the Mustang sensors, dont think a 'reprogram' is the fix...the mustang sensors arent analog, just a 'pressure switch' that says 'ok' above a certain pressure- that certain pressure is in the tire transmitter/fixed... GM has analogs(my wifes avalanche does anyways) that tell you the actual PSI in each tire, the ford ones just have a idiot light that says you have A low tire or A bad sensor. aftermarket sensors might be available- call tirertack.com, see if they can fix you up.

wont be a firestone-like debacle either...that was over faulty recommendations on OEM provided equipment.

you can buy a 'teaching tool' off ebay if you dont have one- I had to get one for my wifes mustang- had a dead sensor, and that was only way to confirm which one wasnt transmitting...perhaps you just have a bad sensor? whats PSI for your aftermarket tires VS stock? my wifes avalanche wont throw a light till <24 psi, normally runs 30~35...would imagine fords range is similar- specs should be in the manual

Actually YOU have broken the law. Tire size and type are specified on the vehicle when it passes emissions testing. By changing size and type you have modified the vehicle from design parameters in the same way as changing axle ratio. (You have also changed rolling resistance.) Ford doesn't have to do anything and they won't. Other manufacturers cannot change theirs anymore either. They are following the law. I know it is dumb, but the law is the law. Thank CARB and the EPA. And guess what? EPA trumps NHTSA.