F-750 Hybrid

Motor Trend article

http://wot.motortrend.com/thats-a-hybrid-2012-ford-f-750-truck-fitted-with-plug-in-hybrid-drivetrain-177415.html

...only adds 1600 pounds to the chassis of the Ford truck...do not reduce the truck’s ground clearance. Recharging the 14-kWh battery pack takes 11 hours on a 110-volt outlet or 3 hours on a 220-volt sources; the 28-kWh battery recharges in 22 hours and 5 hours, respectively.

Very interesting, though I guess this means the hydraulic hybrid tech has dead-ended.

I wouldn't say that- Ford was very much into hydraulic systems a couple of years ago. But the one good thing about this set up is I would think this would be a big boon to utilities/tree outfits. I do believe the regeneration cycle on the diesels is one reason why the V-10 was added to the 650. to those running a hydraulic system, this might be a good option- How about it 7M3- bucket trucks! Your world!.

On another note, always glad to see someone spend any kind of money on R & D using a Ford medium chassis- gives me comfort that there truly IS a future for these trucks.

The hydraulic and electric hybrids do serve different uses. The electrics have an advantage in the amount of energy stored, so they are better suited to operations where PTOs and remote motors are used. Hydraulics are better suited to start-stop use.

Here is a link to a story about Parker Hannifin's system in a demonstration fleet. Looks like a product rollout is near. But I do not know if this is a system that woul be installed by the truckbuilder or an upfitter. hydraulic hybrid

I do believe the regeneration cycle on the diesels is one reason why the V-10 was added to the 650.

The V10 was added because

1. Lower fuel economy benefit for diesel (as mentioned)
  2. Lower initial cost
  3. Lower maintenance (oil changes etc.)
  4. Easy/cost of converting to CNG (which is sell for about $2.65 after the Fed dropped their $0.50 subsidy in Jan '12)

Here's another review on the F-750 from

LEFT LANE NEWS

Plug-in hybrids are only just starting to hit the market from mainstream automakers, even for world hybrid sales leader Toyota, but already PHEV technology is making appearances in some of the last likely places.

For example, a company by the name of Odyne which specializes in plug-in hybrid conversions for trucks weighing in at over 14,000 lbs, has developed a PHEV conversion option for Ford’s massive F-750 commercial truck. The catch? the conversion can run in the $100,000 ballpark, as verified by Odyne to Autoblog – and that doesn’t include the cost of the actual truck, either.

The variance in price comes with how exactly you request Odyne Systems to modify your truck.

The V10 was added because

1. Lower fuel economy benefit for diesel (as mentioned)
  2. Lower initial cost
  3. Lower maintenance (oil changes etc.)
  4. Easy/cost of converting to CNG (which is sell for about $2.65 after the Fed dropped their $0.50 subsidy in Jan '12)

I'm sure you are correct on those points. I do recall reading about a consortium of the larger tree outfits -who run huge bucket truck fleets- that sent a joint letter to various manufacturers asking for a gasoline option because the regeneration issue was causing them all sorts of issues with their equipment that has high idle time. Keep in mind, not only do they need hydraulics to run the bucket, but they also have quick connects in the bucket and run small saws hydraulicly as well.

......How about it 7M3- bucket trucks! Your world!.

Yes, our electric utility subsidiary has some hybrid International bucket trucks. They have a neat feature where they can 'creep' on electric power. All the hydraulics are electric powered, no P.T.O.'s. Man, were those units expensive!

Edited by 7Mary3