"Escape Routes," an hourlong NBC reality series produced by Ford

DETROIT NEWS

Ford Motor Co. will break ground in advertising next week when it becomes the first automaker to launch a vehicle through prime time television.

"Escape Routes," an hourlong NBC reality series produced by Ford and featuring the 2013 Ford Escape, will debut March 31. If successful, the approach could invite a new marketing model that integrates social media with TV to enlist audience participation and build buzz for a product.

For more info, click on link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w3nzaDwUbY&feature=player_embedded

Too bad it is being aired on NBC. Although I still like a few NBC programs and enjoy the Today show in the morning, the network has been failing for years. I believe they just won the distinction of having the lowest rated in-season new comedy premier ever with a show called Bent. I can't imagine this show will do much better since critics will write it off as an infomercial at best.

Anyhow It's sort of a neat idea, but I don't see it gathering much acclaim or ratings for that matter.

Edited by 2005Explorer

This must be costing Ford a crap load of money and way beyond what they pay for product placement on Idol or Amazing Race. A 30 second national commercial can cost $100,000 or more, so a 60 minute program must be in the millions to produce and air, especially six times. I'm sure the ad execs have the idea that this will generate sales not only for the Escape, but across the entire brand, or there may be some job openings at Ford. I wonder if there will there be commercials and if Hyundai will buy ad time.

It's airing Saturday nights, which is typically a dead night for TV. I doubt they are expecting big ratings for it, but it's a good way for NBC to make a few bucks off a night of programming that would otherwise just be reruns.

It's airing Saturday nights, which is typically a dead night for TV. I doubt they are expecting big ratings for it, but it's a good way for NBC to make a few bucks off a night of programming that would otherwise just be reruns.

Exactly. Instead of NBC having to pay to produce programming for a typically "dead" timeslot, Ford is paying them to do it. Even "bad" numbers from a viewership perspective can be attractive to advertisers, especially with an hour long "captive" audience.

Exactly. Instead of NBC having to pay to produce programming for a typically "dead" timeslot, Ford is paying them to do it. Even "bad" numbers from a viewership perspective can be attractive to advertisers, especially with an hour long "captive" audience.

That's true considering the current shape of NBC. I would imagine they would be happy to find someone to fill this slot and even if it's not very popular it's likely to pull better numbers then their "Jay Leno at 10" experiment did. LOL :)

Good God, that was too painful to watch, I had to turn it off. If it wasn't getting dark, I'd rather watch my grass grow.

That bad huh? Well that doesn't completely surprise me considering a few things NBC has tried putting on the air lately.

Edited by 2005Explorer