2013 Escape Build and Price

Awesome, thanks for the heads up! It will be exciting to start seeing these on the lots.

LAP went into consumer production mode yesterday and should start showing up on lots end of May if not a little sooner. I believe they are starting with two shifts and going to three shifts later in year. Trainees have to practice their jobs offline for at least 40 hours before they can join the production line. It usually takes a retooled plant six months or more to get up to full speed. It sure took MAP at least that long if not longer. They are just now going to third shift.

Is the 2.5L engine the same Mazda MZR based design used in the previous Escape?

Yes, it's the same carryover engine with a new low resistance drive belt system on it. (FEAD (Front-End Accessory Drive)Belt Technology) The 2.5 is only available in "S" trim and FWD.

With the 2.0L EcoBoost, it's going to be one quick SUV. I was just looking at the specs for the Range Rover Evoque which uses the Ford 2.0L EcoBoost. It puts out 240 hp 251 tq and is 3902lbs. Does 0-60 in 7.1 seconds, gets 28 hwy 18 city w/4wd.

The Escape puts out 240 hp 270 tq and is 3600lbs. Should get over 30hwy and sub 7 second 0-60 time.

Edited by svtenthusiast

Yes, it's the same carryover engine with a new low resistance drive belt system on it. (FEAD (Front-End Accessory Drive)Belt Technology) The 2.5 is only available in "S" trim and FWD.

With the 2.0L EcoBoost, it's going to be one quick SUV. I was just looking at the specs for the Range Rover Evoque which uses the Ford 2.0L EcoBoost. It puts out 240 hp 251 tq and is 3902lbs. Does 0-60 in 7.1 seconds, gets 28 hwy 18 city w/4wd.

The Escape puts out 240 hp 270 tq and is 3600lbs. Should get over 30hwy and sub 7 second 0-60 time.

The Range Rover Evoque uses Ford's 2.0L EB?!?! How did I miss that detail?

The upcoming GLK250 with a 2.1l turbodiesel engine is rated at 190hp and 396lb-ft torque. The X3 Xdrive28i 4 cyldinder 2.0l diesel will have 240hp and 260lb-ft. Both of these should easily do 30mpg with 7spd and 8spd auto trannies.

Will be interesting to see how all these match up in a shootout!

[quote name='ver Evoque uses Ford's 2.0L EB?!?! How did I miss that detail?

AFAIK, Ford still has some leftover powerplant sharing with RR. I believe same as Volvo Cars but that may have expired. I don't have notes (read tabs) open at this time. I appreciate the D25 yet I was hoping for maybe Ti-VCT yet perhaps this plant is going away shortly.

Confirmed window sticker EPA figures for the 2.0 EcoBoost:

FWD: 30 HWY, 22 CITY, 25 COMBINED

4WD: 28 HWY, 21 CITY, 24 COMBINED

ADDED

EPA figures for the 2.5 n/a carryover engine in the "S" model FWD only:

FWD: 31 HWY, 22 CITY, 25 COMBINED

Edited by svtenthusiast

I was hoping for a little higher than 30, but my three big requirements when I set out to find a new car were at least 30mpg highway, 3500lbs towing capacity, and at least 60 cubic feet cargo volume. Before the 2013 Escape, the best I could do was 2 out of 3. Excited that this car officially meets all my requirements!

Any idea what the numbers are for the 1.6EB?

30 is pretty impressive considering our '03 with the V6 with less power and torque was rated, on the old system, at 23 I think.

Is anyone a little disappointed in the pricing? It seems a little high to me. I'm actually in the market for a vehicle like this and there are plenty of alternatives out there that are cheaper. My wife has a 2009 escape and we love it but we got it with the sync and moonroof package for around 18k. I don't see that happening on the new escape se. Mazda has always been the second brand I look at after ford since they used to be a part of the ford family. The new cx5 they just came out with will be replacing the tribute. The middle of the pack cx5 is the touring model. This comes with a 5.8 in full color monitor with back up camera, Bluetooth, hd radio, and some others for 23895. Add navigation, alarm, bi xenon lights, auto dim mirror, rain sensing wipers, moonroof, remote start and 9 speaker Bose sound system and your only up to 27530. To get the top of the line grand touring with every option except 4wd you top out at 30035.

The closest you can get to the base touring cx5 (includes touchscreen and backup camera) is the escape s which starts at 22470. Yes it's a grand cheaper but it comes with nothing really and the only real option is sync. If you bump it up to the se escape, you will be paying base of 25895, already 2g more. To get a similarly equipped model as the base touring cx5 you will have to pay 27065 and you still don't get the backup camera since its not even an option on se.

I haven't looked at the dimensions yet but I read that the cx5 has the same interior volume as the cx7 so I'm assuming they both should be about the same size. I like the style of both these SUVs so it would really come down to price to me and the cx5 wins out here.

Any idea what the numbers are for the 1.6EB?

30 is pretty impressive considering our '03 with the V6 with less power and torque was rated, on the old system, at 23 I think.

We haven't found any stickers for the 1.6 yet. It may be that there aren't any with the 1.6 scheduled yet, as the window sticker shows about 1 week before production.

Is anyone a little disappointed in the pricing? It seems a little high to me. I'm actually in the market for a vehicle like this and there are plenty of alternatives out there that are cheaper. My wife has a 2009 escape and we love it but we got it with the sync and moonroof package for around 18k. I don't see that happening on the new escape se. Mazda has always been the second brand I look at after ford since they used to be a part of the ford family. The new cx5 they just came out with will be replacing the tribute. The middle of the pack cx5 is the touring model. This comes with a 5.8 in full color monitor with back up camera, Bluetooth, hd radio, and some others for 23895. Add navigation, alarm, bi xenon lights, auto dim mirror, rain sensing wipers, moonroof, remote start and 9 speaker Bose sound system and your only up to 27530. To get the top of the line grand touring with every option except 4wd you top out at 30035.

The closest you can get to the base touring cx5 (includes touchscreen and backup camera) is the escape s which starts at 22470. Yes it's a grand cheaper but it comes with nothing really and the only real option is sync. If you bump it up to the se escape, you will be paying base of 25895, already 2g more. To get a similarly equipped model as the base touring cx5 you will have to pay 27065 and you still don't get the backup camera since its not even an option on se.

I haven't looked at the dimensions yet but I read that the cx5 has the same interior volume as the cx7 so I'm assuming they both should be about the same size. I like the style of both these SUVs so it would really come down to price to me and the cx5 wins out here.

Always a complaint when a new redisgned model comes out to replace an old chassis.....you have to consider the standard features you are getting plus the level of safety and technology over the old model. I am not familar with the CX5, but you are looking at turbo and DI engines in the Escape.

Entry level pricing was reduced $200 compared with 2012MY. SE vs. XLT price up $200, while adding over $1100 in content. (1.6L EcoBoost, SYNC, 17" Aluminum Wheels)

In my opinion, the Titanium FWD I ordered was very reasonable at 33K when I was thinking about buying the same level of equipment in an Edge Ecoboost Limited for 41K or Explorer Ecoboost Limited for 44K.

Edited by svtenthusiast

Always a complaint when a new redisgned model comes out to replace an old chassis.....you have to consider the standard features you are getting plus the level of safety and technology over the old model. I am not familar with the CX5, but you are looking at turbo and DI engines in the Escape.

Entry level pricing was reduced $200 compared with 2012MY. SE vs. XLT price up $200, while adding over $1100 in content. (1.6L EcoBoost, SYNC, 17" Aluminum Wheels)

In my opinion, the Titanium FWD I ordered was very reasonable at 33K when I was thinking about buying the same level of equipment in an Edge Ecoboost Limited for 41K or Explorer Ecoboost Limited for 44K.

Once the initial orders are filled, and those who have to be first on block with new generation Escape are happy, it will be interesting to see what the incentives will be and what a nicely equipped SE will go for in comparison to present Escape that is known as a real bargain. Since the Escape is basically a tall Focus, I would imagine $2,000 incentives should show up rather quickly as in maybe by December along with holiday cash bonuses.

Is anyone a little disappointed in the pricing?

I sat in the CX5 and CX7 (and the CX9) at the Mpls. Auto Show and I think you may be a little disappointed in the interior space of the 5. I've seen a few CX5's around town and they look kind of small. Although I couldn't sit in the Escape, it looked much bigger inside and out than the CX5. If you compare the standard features, available options and interior finish, I think the new Escape beats all the SUV's in the class and I think it's priced right where it should be.

I sat in the CX5 and CX7 (and the CX9) at the Mpls. Auto Show and I think you may be a little disappointed in the interior space of the 5. I've seen a few CX5's around town and they look kind of small. Although I couldn't sit in the Escape, it looked much bigger inside and out than the CX5. If you compare the standard features, available options and interior finish, I think the new Escape beats all the SUV's in the class and I think it's priced right where it should be.

I sat in the front and back seat of the 2013 Escape at 2012 NAIAS, and plenty of room for me in front and back and I have long legs. In back, the new Focus in comparsion in back seat is a sardine can. So I would think the new Escape will be a huge success. It's basically a tall Focus with more back seat room and cargo space for bulky objects like bikes, chairs, and such. On top of that, you can tow if needed plus option of AWD. Once it maxes production mode, I see the new Escape as being Ford's best selling vehicle after F-Series. It has so many more dimensions to it than does Focus or Fusion, and it's cheaper than Edge or Explorer. It hits the heart of sweet spot in market. If Honda can sell 30,000 CRV's in one month, so can Ford with its 3,000 dealers and three shifts at LAP.

The cx5 has brand new sky active engines with get up to 35 mpg with 150 hp and 155 ft in of torque. It has 40.1 in headroom, 57.5 shoulder, 55.2 hip, and 41 leg? The escape has 39.9 head, 56 shoulder, 54.8 hip, and 43.1 leg. So if you think the cx5 is small, you might be surprised by the escape since it is smaller in every area except legroom. So same size basically and same features, it's still a few grand more. I'm sure the escape will have more power and better ride and probably similar mpg. The cx5 will probably have a more sporty feel. I guess it depends on what you like. If the price was about 2 thousand less id choose the escape in a heartbeat. That new Hyundai Santa fe they showed at the new York autos how looked pretty nice to. It will be interesting to see how much that is priced