F-150 Ecoboost shutter?

There are some segments where it doesn't make sense for Ford to compete (minivans). Competition is cut-throat and there is ZERO brand loyalty. The issue is Ford throwing good money after bad with niche products nobody wants (like Flex) at the expense of established but horribly neglected vehicles like Ranger.

- Ranger does not have a plant. Flex shares a platform.

The issue is Ford throwing good money after bad with niche products nobody wants (like Flex) at the expense of established but horribly neglected vehicles like Ranger.

Ford makes considerably more money on 30,000 Flexes at $40K each built on a shared platform in a shared facility than they could dream about making on Rangers and with far less investment.

Anybody who understands anything about business and manufacturing can easily see why Ford kept the Flex and killed the Ranger. Just because you don't like it personally doesn't make it a bad decision.,

Well, I don't do Facebook. Tried it once and don't go there again. This issue with the latest F-150 does matter. Maybe a small percentage complaining, the dealers may have a better clue. A good many of the lemon law suits are a result of multiple visits to dealers to fix the problems. And dealers saying we just can't fix it and stumbling a little on documentation. Can't blame them - Ford's warranty work doesn't pay very well in a lot of situations. This problem is just starting to surface.

I too am like those with older Fords - F-150 and Ranger included. And simply wondering if we take perfectly good functioning, albeit high mileage trucks, and gamble on Ford's latest technology. Nothing seems to be working partcularly well. Losing some confidence here.

MFT will result in a loss of ratings with the consumer reporting agencies and probably already has done so. Hard to figure that Ford may have more than one problem here with trying to use a too small V-6 in this turbo application for the weight of the vehicle. Tranny and it's associated software trying to cover too much ground in these trucks has to be included too.

Guess I stay at the fix it stage or used truck market. Or shop outside Ford.

Disappointed.

Not much out there worth buying.

The F150 is offered with 4 engines and without MyFordTouch. I think you can find a "perfectly good functioning truck".

Best of luck.

The F150 is offered with 4 engines and without MyFordTouch. I think you can find a "perfectly good functioning truck".

:yup:

My employer's fleet of light duty pickups include V6 F-150 work trucks acquired last year. Specifically, they are 4X2 XL grade with 126" WB, 3.7L V6, and trailer tow package. These F-150s have been very dependable.

If folks want to let these few issues feed their "a V6 cannot do the work of a V8, and turbos are expensive, complicated, and unreliable," phobia, then there is nothing that anyone can say, that will change your mind. However, if you want the real story, talk to Ford techs at dealerships (not service advisors, as they barely know where a spark plug goes), but the actual techs. You will learn that they see VERY few EB trucks coming in.

QFT

They don't break.

We sell a ton of them.

- Ranger does not have a plant. Flex shares a platform.

What about all the "One Ford" hype? What about all the "world economy" talk? There are three T6 Ranger plants in existence right now. It doesn't need to share a platform. What it needs is for Ford to get over the fear of losing F150 sales to the Ranger. With that kind of thinking there is no reason to sell anything other than the Taurus and F-Series. Welcome to 1950. All this is accomplishing is to drive potential buyers who want a vehicle in the Ranger size class to the competition and they may never come back.

• Like 1

The Ranger debate has been beat to death. But non of those global Rangers meet the US crash standards. They would have to be seriously re-worked to meet them. The midsized truck market is continueing to shrink. As of today, Ford doesn't feel the amount of money it would take to rework the global Ranger to US standards would be returned in profits.

That can change, who knows what the global market will be. And those global Rangers will be re-worked at sometime. So "maybe" at that time. But not before.

What about all the "One Ford" hype? What about all the "world economy" talk? There are three T6 Ranger plants in existence right now. It doesn't need to share a platform. What it needs is for Ford to get over the fear of losing F150 sales to the Ranger. With that kind of thinking there is no reason to sell anything other than the Taurus and F-Series. Welcome to 1950. All this is accomplishing is to drive potential buyers who want a vehicle in the Ranger size class to the competition and they may never come back.

Trucks are a conundrum. T6 is too small for the U.S. and F150 is too big for the rest of the world.

This whole "Ford is protecting the F150" is a bunch of horse hockey. They're protecting profits - now and future. If Ford thought adding T6 would help their bottom line then it would already be here.

Ford sells twice as many F series pickups as the ENTIRE small/midsized truck segment so it makes sense to put your investment there first and that's what they're doing right now.

• 1 year later...

Got a little over 4K miles on my EB SuperCrew. No problems with the engine so far.

Two things I've noticed:

Engaging transmission into drive or reverse makes a noticeable clank/clunk sound. For all I know it could be the limited slip. Doesn't seem to be a problem since there's nothing I can detect wrong with performance.

More than I would have expected wind noise from the front door/window at highway speeds. Sometimes it seems like the window, other times the door seal. A minor annoyance.

I do wonder if I should let the engine idle for a few seconds (to let the turbos cool) before turning off the engine. Didn't see anything in the owners manual about this, and don't know if this applies to this engine (like I've seen recommended for turbos in the past)

Have no complaints about MPGs. Getting around 19-20 around town. Got a reported 27 on the highway, but didn't confirm at the fuel pump before putting another ~150-200 miles on the same tank around town.

Edited by RangerM
  • Like 1

Got a little over 4K miles on my EB SuperCrew. No problems with the engine so far.

Two things I've noticed:

Engaging transmission into drive or reverse makes a noticeable clank/clunk sound. For all I know it could be the limited slip. Doesn't seem to be a problem since there's nothing I can detect wrong with performance.

More than I would have expected wind noise from the front door/window at highway speeds. Sometimes it seems like the window, other times the door seal. A minor annoyance.

I do wonder if I should let the engine idle for a few seconds (to let the turbos cool) before turning off the engine. Didn't see anything in the owners manual about this, and don't know if this applies to this engine (like I've seen recommended for turbos in the past)

Have no complaints about MPGs. Getting around 19-20 around town. Got a reported 27 on the highway, but didn't confirm at the fuel pump before putting another ~150-200 miles on the same tank around town.

Well done RangerM,

Glad to see you've made the step up to EB V6 F150 and hope you have many untroubled miles.

Turbo housings are water cooled these days, so no risk of baking bearings and no need for turbo timers like in the 1980s..