2013 Escape Recalled

Toyota waits till several people are killed (blames it on mats and accelerator pedal..........still unresolved), Ford does a "fix it" when a line worker finds a potential problem. Who would you trust?

I dunno. Ford has been making an aweful lot of money lately. The mainstream media tells me that makes them evil. Toyota on the otherhand, I am told, should get a free pass since they're foreign...

...yes, I jest :D

I dunno. Ford has been making an aweful lot of money lately. The mainstream media tells me that makes them evil. Toyota on the otherhand, I am told, should get a free pass since they're foreign...

...yes, I jest :D

All based on an observant line worker, it's great to see that potential problems are being picked up at the plant.

I think Ford is really going the extra mile here and making doubly sure their reputation is safe.

Ford said in early June, an employee noted the space between the brake pedal and the center console left-side trim panel "which may result in the driver contacting the edge of the brake pedeal while transferring the foot from the accelerator to the brake pedal.

Ford said the issue could increase braking distance but says it has no reports of the problem happening with customers.

If Ford is smart, they can turn this into a PR win, maybe give owners a free fill up for coming in.. Edited by jpd80

All based on an observant line worker, it's great to see that potential problems are being picked up at the plant.

I think Ford is really going the extra mile here and making doubly sure their reputation is safe.

Ford said in early June, an employee noted the space between the brake pedal and the center console left-side trim panel "which may result in the driver contacting the edge of the brake pedeal while transferring the foot from the accelerator to the brake pedal.

Ford said the issue could increase braking distance but says it has no reports of the problem happening with customers.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitne...3#ixzz20e3IrL00

If Ford is smart, they can turn this into a PR win, maybe give owners a free fill up for coming in..

But what does that mean? Does it mean the shoe/pants get caught by the trim piece so the foot cannot fully reach the brake padel when you shift it? If they have to replace a panel, it's a design issue.

A spacer pad under the carpet could have been mispositioned during installation reducing the clearence between the floor console trim and brake pedal. Reduced clearence in this area may result in the operators foot contacting the side of the brake pedal while transfering from accel to brake, potentially increasing stopping distance and increasing chance for a crash. The service repair will be to remove the spacer pad and replace the console side trim with a revised one.

Are they getting at the spacer through the trim piece in the center console? Maybe that's why they are replacing it with a diferent design? Otherwise, lifting up the carpet in a fully assembled interior is non-trivial.