Delivery Pick Up Check List

transitman

I'll be picking up my Escape either Tuesday or Wednesday. I've compiled a list of things I want to check before taking delivery.

Here's the list, is there anything I've missed?

New Car Check List

Interior:

Headliner:

Sagging

Fit

Staining

Fit of leather/cloth on seats

Seat stitching

Power seat functions/memory

Rear seat fold flat function

Read headrest function

Steering wheel stitching

Shift knob stitching

Gaps where interior pieces meet

Dash fit/finish

Loose panels:

doors

rear cargo area

Carpet fitted properly

Check under seats

Check under seat air vents

Check spare & jack

Perimeter alarm

Passive key function

Remote start function

Rear tailgate function

Windows

Locks

MFT/Radio/CD/usb (bring iPod, CD)

Speaker vibration

Side-view mirrors, function/memory

Heat/air-conditioner fan motor settings

Surfaces are clean

Exterior:

Paint flaws:

body

inside doors and hatch

under hood

Door and panel gaps

Headlight and tail-light gaps

Hatch and door alignment and hang

Exterior plastic/chrome trim fit/gaps/finish

Body lines match up

Engine Compartment:

Oil level

Coolant level

Loose or missing clips

Loose screws

Leaks

Under Car:

Check wheel wells

Check tires and wheels

Check under body air dams

I think you need to make sure EVERY MyFord Touch and Sync function works. ;<)

Wait until sunset and the following sunrise to make sure auto on/off headlights work. On second thought, do they even have auto on /off with HIDs? I would think you would not want them trying to turn on all the time when you go under bridges (like I see happening on certain cars).

Gas tank should be full as there is a fuel charge (along with an advertising assessment) to the dealer on the "invoice".

There should be a cheap plastic funnel to be used with Ford's somewhat new "non-existent" gas cap that allows you to add fuel from a gas can without getting the gas can nozzle permanently stuck in the filler neck's flapper door (it was missing on the used Escape we bought for my mother-in-law).

How does the front license plate attach? Is there a bracket to be installed? This was a N/C item on the window sticker of the last Ford I bought.

Make sure the fake vents in the front fenders are straight. When will this styling cue play itself out?

What does your dealer use for on-the-car advertising, an easy to remove license plate frame, a hard to remove three dimensional badge, or a harder to remove multi-part decal? I need to remind our dealer that I don't want anything stuck onto the paint.

Really scare them, bring a creeper, borescope, compression tester, OBD-II code reader, and a Snap-On roller tool chest.

Hope all goes well with the delivery process and you have no issues. Besides we all know that the REAL issues crop up after the bumper-to-bumper warranty expires.

Edited by pillboy

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for this. I saw someone else mentioned your attention to detail in another post. We're picking ours up probably sometime next week. It's been awhile since we purchased a new car so will add this to the "to do" list. Need to figure out how to properly break it in too. I assume it's just a matter of not pushing it for the first 100 miles or so. We went with a Titanium, Panoramic Roof, Red, parking assist and navigation. Will be wife's car.

Thanks for this. I saw someone else mentioned your attention to detail in another post. We're picking ours up probably sometime next week. It's been awhile since we purchased a new car so will add this to the "to do" list. Need to figure out how to properly break it in too. I assume it's just a matter of not pushing it for the first 100 miles or so. We went with a Titanium, Panoramic Roof, Red, parking assist and navigation. Will be wife's car.

By the car you ordered, it sounds like you are married to my wife. Did you buy from Hastings Ford? We bought a used 2010 Escape for my mother-in-law from there and thought it was a nice dealership.

Shortly after I posted we recieved a call from our dealer indicating it arrived today. We're both working from home today so quickly called the insurance company and lender to finalize. We didn't buy from Hastings as my brother-in-law owns a dealership in Iowa. They had a D plan left so we received the family member discount. If my sister-in-law is up for it, I think they're actually driving it up tomorrow afternoon. I wonder if my brother-in-law will laugh when I suggest a depreciation discount for him driving it off the lot! :hysterical2: At least he'll be able to discover any issues with the vehicle.

Brought the new Titanium home this afternoon. Fit and finish are exemplary...I hope everyone's new Escape is as well put together as ours is. The salesperson we dealt with was a pleasure to work with. Almost made me happy to hand over 36 large...almost.

My Escape should be delivered any day now. I'm just wait for the transportation company to take it from the train to the dealership. Being the first ordered car I have purchased I'm afraid in my excitement to bring it home I may overlook potential issues. Is there any key areas to check for problems or a known issue to watch for? I don't want to miss something I should be looking for.

Being the first ordered car I have purchased I'm afraid in my excitement to bring it home I may overlook potential issues.

Well, you already have a list. And not to overlook something bring someone with you who will not be excited and can help with the checks. That's what I'm planning to do :)

Brought the new Titanium home this afternoon. Fit and finish are exemplary...I hope everyone's new Escape is as well put together as ours is. The salesperson we dealt with was a pleasure to work with. Almost made me happy to hand over 36 large...almost.

I believe ours were built the same day, or very close to it. I'd also say that my fit and finish appears to be flawless. The liftgate lines up perfectly. No rattles or loose interior pieces. Stitching on the seats looks great. I could go on.

I believe ours were built the same day, or very close to it. I'd also say that my fit and finish appears to be flawless. The liftgate lines up perfectly. No rattles or loose interior pieces. Stitching on the seats looks great. I could go on.

Sweet. Let's hope the greasy bits are put together as well. We won't mention the electronic bits...Microsoft sourcing does not inspire confidence.

Now that several have been delivered, have any of the items on this list actually been an issue for anyone (besides the funnel)?

I foresee myself being so excited to pick up my vehicle, that I'll forget to check many of these items.

Great checklist though.. I'm going to print it off.

We found two flaws. One was a SLIGHT horizontal scuff on the driver's side rear wheel surround (the black, textured plastic trim). The dealer is ordering a replacement part, but both the wife and I are thinking we will decline having it installed and risk effing up something else. You have to know where to look, the light has to be just right, and you have to be SO anal that you are pink on the outside and brown on the inside.

The second is a small (less than 1/16") "wart" on the leather steering wheel. It is on the front side at about the "5:30" position. The salesman and the lot manager both picked at it (like a pimple or a scab) and decided to have the detail/touch up person that visits the dealership look at it. I suspect they can sand it down and touch it up with dye and it will be invisible. If it was on the back of the wheel and somewhere that I rarely touched it, I would leave well enough alone.

Otherwise the paint is flawless and everything inside and out line up perfectly...and for me to say that, it must be true, or I got into the Vicodin again.

Good job Ford and the Louisville assembly plant!

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear pillboy. When my Titanium comes in i am going to use this thread's checklist. If I don't have something on paper I will be so excited there is no way i would be able to focus on the task at hand.

I picked up my Titanium this week... even With the paper in hand.. I still missed a thorough check.

So far the only issues I've found are with MFT and I don't think theres much they can do until a new update is released.

I applied paint sealant today and we have three paint imperfections...all in the roof. They look like a very small "pimple". I'm not sure if there is something under the paint in these spots or not. I will not lose any sleep over it tonight though as I would rather have it like this than have the roof repainted and I doubt Ford would offer that anyway. I just keep telling myself "it's a Ford, not a Lexus".