New Expedition, Navigator greenlit

Hmmm, that's a VERY short lead time for a product that should be non-trivially different than the F-150, let alone a Lincolnized version of a long approved Expedition. Considering how long it's taking to get the MKG or Aviator out, the Navigator must be a simple badge job.

Hmmm, that's a VERY short lead time for a product that should be non-trivially different than the F-150, let alone a Lincolnized version of a long approved Expedition. Considering how long it's taking to get the MKG or Aviator out, the Navigator must be a simple badge job.

We have no idea how long either was in development before being approved for production.

Timely enough, today is the start of production for 2013 Expedition and Navigator. These were supposed to be the facelifted models.

You can't greenlight something that hasn't already been designed, at least in the computer. This is just the go/no go decision which I'm sure was held up waiting on the F150 plans.

I don't see why the Expedition has to be non-trivially different from the F-150 except for possibly the rear suspension to accomodate the 3rd row seats.

• Like 2

Seriously doubtful. Given the drastically reduced market and sales volume it will need to share as much as possible with the new F150.

My guess is it shares the F150 front clip, doors, interior, drivetrain and suspension layout. It will probably get a different grille, features and suspension tuning.

Why not? Low-volume Nissan and Toyota pick-up based "ubber" 'utes use IRS.

Why not? Low-volume Nissan and Toyota pick-up based "ubber" 'utes use IRS.

Same reason the current Expedition has it. It remains to be seen whether the other vehicles will keep it when they are redesigned based on the much smaller market.

I'm not saying it won't have it, just that the business case for it is much harder to justify with drastically lower volumes in the segment.

It will come down to cost vs. benefit. Hopefully it makes it.

And what's an Escalade?

It's a MUCH better looking luxury SUV with more HP than the Navigator.

The GM SUV's outsell the Ford SUV's because the people that buy them are mostly soccer mom's with 2 kids that picked the Tahoe, Yukon or Escalade because it was "pretty". With that said, I still feel it's important for Ford to keep IRS in the Expy/Navi. Once the Ford SUV's are as pretty as the GM SUV's, the fold flat 3rd row because of the IRS and the EcoBoost MPG's will win them over every time.

Going from IRS to SRA would just be a "talking point" for the magazines to gloat over how Lincoln is "cheaping out". In real life, I doubt most anybody would notice the difference nor care.

If they retained the fold flat 3rd row seat, you might be right. But, if it reverted back to a removable seat like the GM SUV's, owners of Expeditions & Navigators in the past 10 years would notice.

Glad to hear the Expy and Gator are coming back... It makes no sense to abandon a high priced vehicle with an inherent profit advantage from sharing a platform with the high selling F150. Despite the low sales volume the high profit margin should allow room in the business case for retention of the IRS, which along with the fold-flat 3rd row I believe critical for success. While the EB6 could be an even greater market revolution for the Expy than it was for the F-150.

BTW. Love the Raptor/Expedition chop... Now that would be great to see with the live-axle rear preserved and no 3rd row

Edited by Kris Kolman