Some Initial 2013 Impressions (good, bad, and debatable)

pillboy

The low fuel light is triggered at 60 miles left to empty. Our first tank of gas was really low miles per gallon because the car had a lot of idling time while the wife was playing with all the electronic toys. Based on the calculated MPG (low), the low fuel light came on and I could get only 11 point something in the tank. The computer thought we had only about 60 miles of range left based on the crappy MPG it was calculating.

I was wondering how many gallons of gas it usually takes to fill the tank. I only drive the new 2013 Escape now and then (it's my wife's car) and recently had the opporunity to put gas in it. The gauge was almost on empty and the low fuel light was on. After filling it up, it only took a little over 11 gallons to fill it. I thought that this was unusual because in my 06 escape, I usually have to put around 13 gallons to fill it when the gauge is close to empty.

The miles to empty readout and low fuel light and gauge are really premature in this vehicle, as they had problems on the 2012 Focus customers running out of gas when it was still showing MTE. I was one of them, my Focus ran out showing 7 MTE.

Now they have gone the other direction where it still has about 3 gallons of gas when the fuel light comes on. Usually it's low fuel at 2 gallons on most Fords.

I experience the same with mine as have others with what you have posted above.

Edited by svtenthusiast

That's good know. I just filled up our 2013 at lunch with an indicated 42 MTE and the fuel gauge almost bottomed out. It took 11 gallons to fill it up. It'd be nice if the indicators were a bit more accurate. Of course, I'd rather the computer err on the side of caution but I also won't ever take the chance of running out and will end up filling up prematurely every time. This is the first time I've let it get this low before refueling.

The low fuel light is triggered at 60 miles left to empty. Our first tank of gas was really low miles per gallon because the car had a lot of idling time while the wife was playing with all the electronic toys. Based on the calculated MPG (low), the low fuel light came on and I could get only 11 point something in the tank. The computer thought we had only about 60 miles of range left based on the crappy MPG it was calculating.

It appears I am wrong on this since the low fuel light came on today at 46 miles to empty. It must be triggered by the position of the float in the tank. It took only 11.72 gallons to fill it and once full it states 275 miles to empty. That sucks for range.

It appears I am wrong on this since the low fuel light came on today at 46 miles to empty. It must be triggered by the position of the float in the tank. It took only 11.72 gallons to fill it and once full it states 275 miles to empty. That sucks for range.

It seems to vary widely on the Focus and Escape as to when (or if) the low fuel warning goes off. Nobody has cracked the code yet AFAIK.

What are these "gallon" thingies you speak of? Up here, outside our igloos, we only deal with Litres. (yes I spelled Litres correctly).

So far I'm disappointed with the efficiency of my 2.0 titanium. I'm at 2300kms (~1400miles).

My best efficiency so far is 9.0 L/100kms which is equivalent to 26mpg. That's about 70/30% highway/city.

How is everyone else doing for efficiency?

Yours sounds right on par with where it shold be. I mean highway rating is 28 mpg so with your 70/30 split thats about right. I am only on my third tank of gas and with the mixed driving of suburbia my last tank was 24.7 average. I find you really have to baby the gas pedal to maintain higher mpg. If your doing mostly highway its much easier to get the 28 mpg. If your all city and you like to be first in line at every stop light and punch the gas to achieve that goal, your gas mileage is going to suck, literally.

On the other hand, if you like being first off the line, this engine will perform for you.

Edited by Escapism

I squeezed 12.6 gallons in yesterday with an indicated 17 MTE. I think the low fuel light came on around 45 MTE. Since I'll rarely ever roll the dice, I guess I will typically have a ~3 gallon reserve at all times. I am tempted to toss a five gallon gas can in the back and run the thing until it is truly empty and see just how many miles I can get out of a tank. In theory, assuming the MPG indicator is even remotely accurate, I should have around a 425 mile range with a full 15.1 gallon load. After fill ups, the computer usually tells me about 375 MTE.

Looks like the computer calculates the gas mileage based on my driving. Each time I filled up the gas tank my range has increased. I also check the computer MPG and it is right on.

I agree, last time I filled up, my gauge showed 485kms to empty. I ran the car 517kms before filing up. Then when I reset it, it showed 517kms to empty.

Returned to the dealer today to have their reconditioning guy (an outside vendor) address the little "nub" or "pimple" on my leather steering wheel which is now white since both the salesman and the lot manager picked at it when we picked up the car. Before I got to the dealer, I also noticed a small color variation on the wheel a couple inches away from the nub. It looked like what I would expect from someone drawing a half-inch line on the leather with a black Sharpie...almost like someone tried touching up a scratch on the leather.

I express concern over what the repair to the nub will look like. The guy tells me if I can tell he did something to the wheel, the dealer would not have him working on their cars. I have been disappointed before with cosmetic things, so I hold no extremely high hopes on this.

Twenty minutes later, he pulls the car up (they have him work at the far corner of the lot) to the showroom and I look at the steering wheel. OMG (and I am not 13 and use this term regularly), he is an effing magician! He put a new steering wheel on in that short of time (not really, for those not able to sense my sarcasm). I am simply amazed. Not only can I no longer see where "nubby" lived, the black line is also gone (I can only assume he saw this when he was working on the nub). I am pleased beyond belief.

I am simply amazed. Not only can I no longer see where "nubby" lived, the black line is also gone (I can only assume he saw this when he was working on the nub). I am pleased beyond belief.

Good to hear. Its getting harder and harder to find an artist that knows the craft. Your dealer picked a good leather craftsman for you from what it sounds like.

The car goes back to the paint protection film installer tomorrow for a little work to correct some deficiencies. I'm hoping for more pleasure. This is the visit that has me concerned. It sucks being a perfectionist, but 32 years of looking for what is wrong with something all day tends to warp your perception of things.

Still haven't read the whole manual...

While looking at the "Locks" section of the PDF owner's guide today, I found this paragraph:

Battery Saver

If the courtesy lamps, dome lamps or

headlamps are left on, the battery saver

will shut them off 10 minutes after the

ignition has been turned off.

Now I wonder how we managed to leave the parking lamps on all night in the garage one night a few weeks ago. The car did start just fine the next morning. It makes no sense to me that it would turn off the headlamps, but would not turn off the parking lamps (differing positions on the headlight rotary switch).

Still haven't read the whole manual...

While looking at the "Locks" section of the PDF owner's guide today, I found this paragraph:

Battery Saver

If the courtesy lamps, dome lamps or

headlamps are left on, the battery saver

will shut them off 10 minutes after the

ignition has been turned off.

Now I wonder how we managed to leave the parking lamps on all night in the garage one night a few weeks ago. The car did start just fine the next morning. It makes no sense to me that it would turn off the headlamps, but would not turn off the parking lamps (differing positions on the headlight rotary switch).

Are you sure they were on all night or maybe they just turned back on when you got in range with the IA key?

i'm waiting for the TV show "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?" to be replaced with "Are you smarter than your Ford?". I too am still deciphering the manual, one kilobit at a time (have the manual on the ipad). My wife just shakes her head when she looks over at me in bed and there I am, reading the manual. I reply "not tonight dear, I'm at the good part". :heartbreaker: :punched: :backtotopic:

• Like 2