2013 Fusion Stop ship...why?

So is this the third new vehicle launch in row that has gotten off to a rocky start?

Yes, it's "Leap to Conclusions Day"

Today is the day when we make hasty and ill-informed judgments based on incomplete data!

I'm going to try and play:

'Know what I like? Frosted Mini-wheats. Therefore all smart people like Frosted Mini-wheats and people that don't are stupid because they don't like them.'

Ford is making massive changes to platforms and supplier contracts in the USA, with so much upheaval some glitches are to be expected

but these so called recalls are for relatively nuisance problems, not massive systemic failures like the bad old days of ill prepared launches.

People piss and moan about Focus and Escape launch but both vehicles have settled into strong sellers with higher ATPs than previous generations.

We can only hope the very same thing happens to Fusion and C-Max, yeah Ford takes chances but they also get a lot of highly profitable sales too.

Edited by jpd80

Ford is making massive changes to platforms and supplier contracts in the USA, with so much upheaval some glitches are to be expected

but these so called recalls are for relatively nuisance problems, not massive systemic failures like the bad old days of ill prepared launches.

People piss and moan about Focus and Escape launch but both vehicles have settled into strong sellers with higher ATPs than previous generations.

We can only hope the very same thing happens to Fusion and C-Max, yeah Ford takes chances but they also get a lot of highly profitable sales too.

Sorry, not sold on 1.6 L EB with less than 180hp in 3600 pound car. Ford would have been better off adding 15hp to the 2.5 VCT and offering the 2.0EB as only engine option with V6 Fusion ST coming later or higher displacement I4 EB. The 1.6L EB should be the engine option for the Focus which is 500 pounds lighter, not the Fusion. So now Ford is stuck with no 2012 Fusions and stop/hold on 2013 Fusions with 1.6 L EB. Not good, and three week transit time from Mexico when given OK to ship.

Sorry, not sold on 1.6 L EB with less than 180hp in 3600 pound car. Ford would have been better off adding 15hp to the 2.5 VCT and offering the 2.0EB as only engine option with V6 Fusion ST coming later or higher displacement I4 EB. The 1.6L EB should be the engine option for the Focus which is 500 pounds lighter, not the Fusion. So now Ford is stuck with no 2012 Fusions and stop/hold on 2013 Fusions with 1.6 L EB. Not good, and three week transit time from Mexico when given OK to ship.

The 1.6 EB has low down torque the 2.5 can only dream about, in an auto trans set up that's worth a lot in getting the car off the line swiftly.

Ford has done a good job on the SE 2.5 I-4 package and i would expect that the majority of sales will swing its way, regardless of Ecoboost.

The basic I-4 has been the Fusion's bread and butter with the previous model sales running just over 80% and the way I'm looking at

the 2.0 EB is as a more fuel efficient replacement for the D35 V6, where the V6 would get 18/28 mpg, the 2.0 EB gets 22 / 33 mpg.

The 1.6 Ecoboost adds about 30 lb ft of torque at the bottom end over the 2.5, I think people will order it with an auto.

Edited by jpd80

Now that SEL is gone, it's looking like the SE is the car for people designing their own uniquely tailored car

whilst Titanium remains as the "complete" package, this strategy probably gives the best of both worlds.

How does narrowing down choices to consumer become best of both worlds? I understand how it makes Ford's job easier, but you can't leave the consumer out of equation. There is pretty big gap between SE and Titianium that goes unfilled. For example, heated seats is very big option even in hot weather states where it gets chilly at night in winter, and making it so that consumer has to spend over $2,000 extra for lux package to get them is not smart IMO as consumer has other choices as in other auto company offerings. A cheap winter package like on Focus would be nice offering. I may be more tempted if Ford offers Focus hatch with 1.6 EB SE with winter package along with sports appearance package and six speed manual. Or better yet a Focus wagon with same. Not in love with Fusion models except for new Fusion hybrid assuming cargo hold hasn't been overly pinched with battery.

How does narrowing down choices to consumer become best of both worlds? I understand how it makes Ford's job easier, but you can't leave the consumer out of equation. There is pretty big gap between SE and Titianium that goes unfilled.For example, heated seats is very big option even in hot weather states where it gets chilly at night in winter, and making it so that consumer has to spend over $2,000 extra for lux package to get them is not smart IMO as consumer has other choices as in other auto company offerings.

And then the penny drops:

A cheap winter package like on Focus would be nice offering. I may be more tempted if Ford offers Focus hatch with 1.6 EB SE with winter package along with sports appearance package and six speed manual. Or better yet a Focus wagon with same.

This is all about you.

Not in love with Fusion models except for new Fusion hybrid assuming cargo hold hasn't been overly pinched with battery.

You're worried about Fusion hybrid cargo area and yet Volt gets a walk on being a four seater?

That double standard is ridiculous....Fusion Hybrid Trunk:- LINK

Edited by jpd80

Sorry, not sold on 1.6 L EB with less than 180hp in 3600 pound car.

Base curb weight,

1.6-liter EB

3,421 (automatic); 3,333 (manual)

Base curb weight,

2.5-liter

3,615 (automatic)

source http://media.ford.co...usion_Specs.pdf

even the 2.0 EB is lighter then the 2.5l Ti-VCT

Base curb weight,

2.0-liter EB

3,526 (FWD);

3,681 (AWD)

Edited by MKII

I would assume that since the EB engines are newer designed engines, they were designed to be light weight with the materials used. Also, they are smaller in size in general, and I would think the turbo adds less weight then the difference in engine size.

the 1.6 EB weight at around 3400 lb sounds about right compared to the Euro Mondeo 1.6 EB and manual trans.

In some markets, the current Mondeo still uses the old 2.3 i-4 (same family as 2.0 and 2.5 ) and it weighs around 1550 Kg or about 3400 lbs.

I think somebody at Ford screwed up the weights on that media release. no way a base FWD 2.5 Fusion weighs 3600 lbs.

Edited by jpd80

Current Mondeo weights

Mondeo 1.6L EB sedan weight 3,296 lbs manual tranny

Mondeo 2.0L EB sedan weight 3,452 lbs (Powershift trans)

Mondeo 2.0L 145hp sedan weight 3,250 lbs manual tranny

USA spec cars are usually a few lbs heavier then same Euro models

Edited by MKII

Also, in my experience the real world MPGs of the 1.6EB and the 2.0EB are about the same. Anyone else notice different?

I concur mschmal. However, there is a very noticeable difference in overall responsiveness and refinement between the two engines. The 2.0L engine is much better on both counts.

Sadly, the 6-speed manual transmission can only be paired with the underwhelming 1.6L Ecoboost engine on U.S. market 2013 Ford Fusions.

Regarding the stop-ship, I don't know what the underlying reasons are. Sorry.

I heard transport issues, but not sure if that's a PR response. Anyways, mine is finally in transit to the dealership. I havent gotten any updates since early this month. You've got to wonder if they were fixing something, what happens to the ones that are currently on the dealers' lots?