Extended Warranty

deadman64

I don't recommend them at all if you can afford to pay for a large repair out of pocket or on a credit card. In the long run you'll save money 99% of the time.

But if you do get one make sure it's a Ford ESP. Do not buy 3rd party extended warranties - they're not worth the hassle.

I don't recommend them at all if you can afford to pay for a large repair out of pocket or on a credit card. In the long run you'll save money 99% of the time.

But if you do get one make sure it's a Ford ESP. Do not buy 3rd party extended warranties - they're not worth the hassle.

Do you think it would be more beneficial to get one if you own a Hybrid? This is my first Hybrid, and I know Ford has had very good reliability with the first generation hybrid, but was thinking of all the technology that "could" go wrong and the expense of it after the factory warranty is up.

Edited by lmp180psu

Agreed, but I'd hate for a repair to cost more than what the warranty cost up front and then miss out on it paying for itself.

I'm concerned because the 2013 is a whole new design and engine design so who knows what will go wrong...plus there is MFT which I guess is only covered for 3 years.

As always, Akirby makes a good point, but I guess it's all about your tolerance for risk.

I bought an extended warranty to 100k miles for my 2010 FFH, only used it to replace an O2 sensor and I paid most of that cost with the $100 deductible.

However a co-worker got a 2010 FFH just two weeks after me, he's had a lot of electrical/electronics issues that from the description sound like a gremlin somewhere in the form of a bad wiring harness, and they have spent about $4k-5k in replacing items on various occasions and something still isn't right. He doesn't believe it's an incompetent dealer as one of his family members is the manager there, so they are definitely doing their best to get it figured out.

So I guess those are the two sides to whether to get one of not, I got it to control the one moderate expense of purchasing the warranty up front, rather than live with the unknown of digging out large chunks of expenses at unknown times -- so again it's all about your risk tolerance.

Edited by jeff_h

Do you think it would be more beneficial to get one if you own a Hybrid? This is my first Hybrid, and I know Ford has had very good reliability with the first generation hybrid, but was thinking of all the technology that "could" go wrong and the expense of it after the factory warranty is up.

Ford also knows if there are added repair costs with a hybrid so that will be factored into the cost. It's really just a gamble whether you get your money out of it or not. If Ford paid out more money in repairs than they charged on average then they wouldn't be selling them. You can always get lucky (or unlucky) on one or two vehicles but there is nothing to suggest that a Fusion would be likely to need more than average repairs.

If you can't really afford a $2K-$4K repair down the road then get the ESP and finance it. That way you're only paying a few dollars per month to avoid a big payout later.

But also understand what you're paying for. If a problem happens within the factory warranty then it's covered anyway. So if you engine dies at 59 months and 59K miles, it's covered anyway. Likewise if a problem happens after the extended warranty you have to pay for it anyway. So if you get a 7 yr, 75K mile ext. warranty it's really only a 4 yr, 39K bumper to bumper warranty and a 2 yr 15K mile powertrain warranty (factory is 5/60). The problem has to occur between 3 and 7 years and 36K and 75K non powertrain or 5 to 7 years and 60K and 75k powertrain in order for the extended warranty to cover it. When you start looking at like that you understand how they make money on them.

I opted for both the Ford ESP Warranty and maintenance plan, it was a bit hefty at $2800(A-plan price apparently) but that's full coverage bumper to bumper for 5 years and $100,000 miles and maintenance for Engine oil and filter changes, Multipoint inspections,Tire rotations, Spark plugs,Shock absorbers, Clutch disc, Engine belts and hoses, Brake pads and linings, and Wiper blades. I signed up for the no interest for 17 months to make the price burn less, but it's nice knowing that all I have to do is go to the dealer for service and not have to worry about anything. Also if I don't like it I can always cancel and get a portion of my money back.

My dealer was pretty nice to me, although I'm not entirely sure if they tricked me into this or not. They did say that a large portion of Ford employees get ESP since it's not too expensive to have the 5 years/100,000 miles plus maintenance and I drive approx 365 miles to and from work combined every week so my 3 years/36,000 miles will be up in no time.

If anyone is an employee and got this for cheaper let me know!

Agreed, but I'd hate for a repair to cost more than what the warranty cost up front and then miss out on it paying for itself.

You can't look at it one vehicle at a time. I've had 6 vehicles that were kept at least 2 years beyond the factory warranty. Had I purchased extended warranties on them I would have spent at least $7K - probably closer to $9K. Out of all those vehicles I may have had one repair that cost $200. I now have over $7K in my pocket. Even if I had to pay $4K for a new engine I'm still ahead $3K overall.

It's funny how people can't stand the thought of paying $1500 out of pocket for a repair but they have no problem paying $1500 up front for a warranty that doesn't even kick in for at least 3 years and that may never be needed.

I get more peace of mind from keeping my money in my pocket. But if you just need to have that warranty for peace of mind then get the Ford ESP and finance it with the vehicle so you're only paying a few bucks per month.

• Like 1

You can't look at it one vehicle at a time. I've had 6 vehicles that were kept at least 2 years beyond the factory warranty. Had I purchased extended warranties on them I would have spent at least $7K - probably closer to $9K. Out of all those vehicles I may have had one repair that cost $200. I now have over $7K in my pocket. Even if I had to pay $4K for a new engine I'm still ahead $3K overall.

It's funny how people can't stand the thought of paying $1500 out of pocket for a repair but they have no problem paying $1500 up front for a warranty that doesn't even kick in for at least 3 years and that may never be needed.

I get more peace of mind from keeping my money in my pocket. But if you just need to have that warranty for peace of mind then get the Ford ESP and finance it with the vehicle so you're only paying a few bucks per month.

Agreed, somehow it just seems easier to pay when it's up front. I think it's a fear of the unknown haha. Well I really don't want to add another 3000 bucks to my financing so maybe if there is an extended basic one for ~700 I'll do it.

I opted for both the Ford ESP Warranty and maintenance plan, it was a bit hefty at $2800(A-plan price apparently) but that's full coverage bumper to bumper for 5 years and 100,000 miles and maintenance for Engine oil and filter changes, Multipoint inspections,Tire rotations, Spark plugs,Shock absorbers, Clutch disc, Engine belts and hoses, Brake pads and linings, and Wiper blades.

If you drive 12K per year then that's really only a 5 yr 60K mile bumper to bumper warranty. And since powertrain is already a 5/60K mile warranty you're only getting 2 yrs and 24k miles of added bumper to bumper coverage.

If you drive 20K or more then you'll get more coverage.

You really have to look at the mileage and time limitations and compare them to how many miles you drive and also understand that the Ford ESP time and mileage limits start when the vehicle is purchased, not when the factory warranty runs out.

Just know what you're buying and the risks.

Not that I am any sort of expert, but I agree with akirby. I think that if I had a car that was out of warranty (or soon to be out of warranty) and still had major problems I'd have either returned it under lemon laws or, if that were not possible, I would get rid of it before the warranty is up. Most of my cars (and I've had a lot of old ones) have not started to become major money sinks until they were quite a few years old. More often, it's a minor repair here and a minor one there, new tires now and then, and the cost of routine maintenance.

When I bought the Prius (first new car I'd bought in a while) I opted for Toyota's pre-paid maintenance plan, which seemed like a pretty good deal. It also encourages me to keep up with the regular maintenance. I spent a fairly small amount and get free servicing every 5000 miles. Of course, if they find things, you have to pay for that, but the general maintenance (checks, oil change, other routine stuff) is always free.

Agreed, somehow it just seems easier to pay when it's up front. I think it's a fear of the unknown haha. Well I really don't want to add another 3000 bucks to my financing so maybe if there is an extended basic one for ~700 I'll do it.

It's always easier and that's why most people do it. Same logic for people who will drive 20 extra miles just to save a few pennies on gas. It just seems like a better deal.

As always, Akirby makes a good point, but I guess it's all about your tolerance for risk.

I bought an extended warranty to 100k miles for my 2010 FFH, only used it to replace an O2 sensor and I paid most of that cost with the $100 deductible.

However a co-worker got a 2010 FFH just two weeks after me, he's had a lot of electrical/electronics issues that from the description sound like a gremlin somewhere in the form of a bad wiring harness, and they have spent about $4k-5k in replacing items on various occasions and something still isn't right. He doesn't believe it's an incompetent dealer as one of his family members is the manager there, so they are definitely doing their best to get it figured out.

Agreed. You can always get that one vehicle where the warranty would have paid for itself multiple times. But there's just no way to guess which one that might be so either you gamble and it pays off or it doesn't. It's a crap shoot either way except long term over many vehicles the odds will be in your favor not to buy them.

You can hit it big in Vegas too but the odds are still in the house's favor.

If you drive 12K per year then that's really only a 5 yr 60K mile bumper to bumper warranty. And since powertrain is already a 5/60K mile warranty you're only getting 2 yrs and 24k miles of added bumper to bumper coverage.

If you drive 20K or more then you'll get more coverage.

You really have to look at the mileage and time limitations and compare them to how many miles you drive and also understand that the Ford ESP time and mileage limits start when the vehicle is purchased, not when the factory warranty runs out.

Just know what you're buying and the risks.

That's the thing, I am driving 20k miles or more haha. I hit 1400 miles already and it's been only 3 weeks since I purchased my car. I drive 33 miles one way to work, so opting for the ESP made sense to me. I know it's not cheap, but I figured since I'm going to be driving approx 20k miles a year I should be covered for hopefully 5 years.

That's the thing, I am driving 20k miles or more haha. I hit 1400 miles already and it's been only 3 weeks since I purchased my car. I drive 33 miles one way to work, so opting for the ESP made sense to me. I know it's not cheap, but I figured since I'm going to be driving approx 20k miles a year I should be covered for hopefully 5 years.

I also drive a lot of miles and got the 100k/4yr warranty to be on the same side, but hit 100k miles in less than 3yrs, so the rates do go down a bit for a shorter period of coverage, for those who choose to buy one.

Sorry, OT, but what has your real world mpg been so far?

I'm with akirby on this one for the most part. I did get a warranty for my Hybrid for the main components of the vehicle. I extended the warranty from 3 years to 6 years. It was only about $1400 (originally $1920). You can negotiate the price with the business manager. You have to understand that if you're getting the Hybrid you don't have to worry about the extended warranty covering those Hybrid components. The car already comes with an 8 year warranty on all Hybrid components. I only wanted to cover all the gadgets I have installed on this beauty. If you're like me I ordered everything that this car can have. So being new to some of this technology, I wanted to make sure I had coverage because I'm not sure how much these things cost to fix. Probably more than $1400 when you factor in parts and labour.

• Like 1

Oh one other thing. If you're getting the Hybrid do not buy the maintenance package!!!

First thing you need to understand that your oil changes are spaced out more than a conventional gas engine (basically double the mileage/km). Second brakes will last you much longer too because of the regenerative brakes. Save your money and don't get the maintenance package.

Sorry, OT, but what has your real world mpg been so far?

Just got 27 mpg on my last tank, that's more highway than city, but I'm prettty pleased with it. 365 miles to a tank or so (approx 13.5 gallons, but my fuel gauge was RED when I filled up), right around EPA estimate

• 2 months later...
Guest auser99

My Ford salesman, general manager and the perp from the finance office basically harassed me to get the warranty for my 2013 FFH, I didn't. It was mafia style. They could not take no for an answer. After about 30 minutes of back and forth with their tag team approach, I finally said "If you think I will need this warranty this bad on a 2013 Ford, maybe that's a sign that Ford is crappy and I shouldn't be buying it.". That shut them up.

Edited by auser99

My Ford salesman, general manager and the perp from the finance office basically harassed me to get the warranty for my 2013 FFH, I didn't. It was mafia style. They could not take no for an answer. After about 30 minutes of back and forth with their tag team approach, I finally said "If you think I will need this warranty this bad on a 2013 Ford, maybe that's a sign that Ford is crappy and I shouldn't be buying it.". That shut them up.

So they ganged up on you - thankfully I just had the one finance guy present me the info sheets and ask if I was interested, I said no but wanted a quote in case I wanted to buy it later, he printed out the figures and then moved on. I have since bought a Ford ESP plan online, which was $535 cheaper than what the dealer offered.

• Like 2