MFT/NAV Bugs ...and

PajamaGuy

Or you don't release the software before the bugs are out. This sounds like the Ford version of Windows ME.

That's a good analogy. Unfortunately Ford was put in the position of having to launch it (and relaunch it) with known bugs. They didn't have a backup plan and leaving it out altogether wasn't an option since MFT was tied to Navigation and climate controls. They got screwed by Bsquare and even Microsoft hasn't been able to fix it - which is why they have to scrap it and start over which I hope is already underway.

This is the third model year and it still doesn't work. Sync has enough issues that a class action lawsuit is in the works.

That only works when a company is refusing to fix something or take responsibility for something. Ford is doing neither. They've been trying to fix it for almost 2 years. They haven't given up - they're still releasing software updates and will continue to do so.

It's like my old computer support days where we had a system down and we had everyone who could possibly help engaged and working on it. A user would call in and say that he was going to escalate to his boss. I would then ask if his boss knew scsi protocol or c code because otherwise there was nothing more he could get us to do that we weren't already doing.

A class action lawsuit would be a waste of time and the only ones who would get anything out of it would be the attorneys.

Or you don't release the software before the bugs are out.

They were stuck between a rock and a hard place. The vehicle designs were already locked in. Were they supposed to delay the launch of every vehicle that used MFT so they could re-do all of the interior designs and controls to remove MFT? Frankly, if they didn't offer it, I wouldn't be in my Edge right now. This technology is attracting far more buyers than it is pushing away.

Were they supposed to delay the launch of every vehicle that used MFT so they could re-do all of the interior designs

That have had three years to come up with a Plan B. They have not. So should buyers simply accept a 36k or more vehicle that may or may not allow the climate control , audio and other systems to work while suffering in silence?

This isn't just a few vehicles that are involved. Ford was in a rush to come out with a new high tech interface and didn't bother to debug it. As I get closer to the point of deciding on a new vehicle, more and more these issues are pushing me away from Ford for the first time since 91. I'm not about to be forced into the lowest level trim simply to avoid a system that's obviously flawed. What's more there is absolutely no sign of Ford correcting the situation anytime soon.

This technology is attracting far more buyers

And at that point then they find out that the system's going to act up? Then what? I'd be documenting every issue after it keeps going back to the point of a Lemon Law complaint. This isn't the same as the faulty radio displays from years back. That was inconvenient. This is a serious hazard. How long will it be before we see a mva due to the driver trying to override a system's failure?

• Like 1

That have had three years to come up with a Plan B. They have not. So should buyers simply accept a 36k or more vehicle that may or may not allow the climate control , audio and other systems to work while suffering in silence?

This isn't just a few vehicles that are involved. Ford was in a rush to come out with a new high tech interface and didn't bother to debug it. As I get closer to the point of deciding on a new vehicle, more and more these issues are pushing me away from Ford for the first time since 91. I'm not about to be forced into the lowest level trim simply to avoid a system that's obviously flawed. What's more there is absolutely no sign of Ford correcting the situation anytime soon.

And at that point then they find out that the system's going to act up? Then what? I'd be documenting every issue after it keeps going back to the point of a Lemon Law complaint. This isn't the same as the faulty radio displays from years back. That was inconvenient. This is a serious hazard. How long will it be before we see a mva due to the driver trying to override a system's failure?

Overreact much? It's only been 2 years and for the hundredth time there was no lack of testing or debugging - there was only lack of time and expertise to fix the bugs they knew about.

The majority of buyers are not having serious issues and they're recommending MFT to others. It's not fantastic that some are still having problems but it's certainly not the end of the world and it certainly seems to be helping rather than hurting sales.

MFT works great on my Escape so far, except I cant use text messaging with my motorola admiral. And i'd love for them to add applink.

Impossible you corporate schill!!

Overreact much? It's only been 2 years and for the hundredth time there was no lack of testing or debugging - there was only lack of time and expertise to fix the bugs they knew about.

The majority of buyers are not having serious issues and they're recommending MFT to others. It's not fantastic that some are still having problems but it's certainly not the end of the world and it certainly seems to be helping rather than hurting sales.

The part that keeps being glazed over. People are still recommending these vehicles and are still buying them in record numbers. If it was that bad neither of those would be the case.

1st small road trip this morning - 75 mi (each way) up the interstate to go to a Romney rally - (wife shook Mitt's hand!).

Average 75-80 m.p.h. got 22.6 mpg. We now have a little over 350 mi. on the car.

Great ride - tight, responsive, smooth, much more quiet than my ex-Fusion SEL (2010). I like the 3-blink turn signals.

• Like 1

• Overreact much? It's only been 2 years and for the hundredth time there was no lack of testing or debugging - there was only lack of time and expertise to fix the bugs they knew about.

• Except for the fact that it came out in the 2011 model year in the Edge and Explorer among others. It's now three model years and probably at least four years since manufacturing started. More than enough time to work out the bugs. No one expects it to work one every new phone out but system lockups??? Microsoft by now would have dumped the OS, renamed the new one and released it.

• It's not a malfunctioning power port but the central system that controls quite a lot. So until the FIX it, I'm not putting down anything on a 35k car.

• Maybe they should at least put a hard reboot button somewhere inside the car so the owner doesn't have to dig out the master fuse or keep pulling the battery terminals off.

Except for the fact that it came out in the 2011 model year in the Edge and Explorer among others. It's now three model years and probably at least four years since manufacturing started. More than enough time to work out the bugs. No one expects it to work one every new phone out but system lockups??? Microsoft by now would have dumped the OS, renamed the new one and released it.

It came out in October 2010 for the 2011 Edge. That's 2 years not 3 or 4. I'm the moderator on the Edge forum and believe me we had lots of discussions the last 2 years about it.

Ford outsourced the development to Bsquare - a company started by former Microsoft employees. The code they delivered was so bad at one time they had 1500 known bugs. Ford brought in Microsoft shortly thereafter to fix it and get it stabilized but as you can see it's still not right. That tells me the code was so bad that when they try to fix one thing they cause 2 new bugs. It's Ford's responsibility ultimately but apparently even microsoft couldn't fix it 100%.

What I see is Ford doing everything it possibly could to fix it but still failing. It sucks but it's not lack of effort or lack of quality control - just terrible software that even Microsoft couldn't fix.

So who's the client and who's the vendor? Who's bad management is it?

It was Ford's decision to hire Bsquare so ultimately it's Ford's responsibility when one of their vendors doesn't perform as expected. The point is - once that happened Ford has been trying to fix the problem. They even brought in Microsoft to help but that still wasn't enough apparently - which shows you how bad the initial product was to begin with. I also think there were contractual terms with Bsquare that made it difficult for Ford to dump them. All that is on Ford.

Ford's other fault was not having a backup plan when the initial release was so terrible. Hopefully this was a learning experience and they won't repeat it.

People are still recommending these vehicles and are still buying them in record numbers

So did the PT, Cruiser. In fact they sold over the MSRP. Today you can't give them away. A new car sells in larger number when first released because many have to have the latest and greatest. Just like the I Phone, IPad and many other items.

We are supposed to take delivery of a new Escape Ti on Sat.

Is the installation of the latest MFT version a normal part of the pre-delivery service? (Should be)

If not, what TSB or other reference should I mention to the dealer to get this done for delivery?

There is a delivery hold on all vehicles with MFT unless it's updated with the 3.5.1 software. If your dealer does not perform the upgrade they are in violation with Ford.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1257774/tsb12-11-01.pdf

Edited by svtenthusiast

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if this will correct my nav not knowing where I am for 5 or 10 min. It happened again today, and yes there was a red X through the GPS even though the sky was nice and clear.

My bugs have been very minor and I don't want to chance making it worst.

I have the same issue - sometimes it will grab a signal in a minute or two, other times it will take as long as 30-40 minutes before it grabs a signal. One time it had me driving through a park and into Lake Michigan!

In one of the other MFT/Nav threads it was mentioned that TSB 12-11-2 would remedy this issue, so perhaps you can have your dealer try that. Does anyone have the full description for this TSB? I tried googling it but nowhere to be found.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/51573-first-navigation-issue/