Tailgate Operation

haywire52

Anybody having trouble with the opening of the tailgate with the kicking motion. Mine only works once every 5 or 6 tries. I've ckecked where the sensor is located and kicked rite under it swept my foot under it makes no difference. Will open every time if I use the button under the handle or the fob. Sucks when people want to see it work as it does on TV and it dosn;t. I've worked on this for a week and still can't get it. Looks like a trip back to the dealer.

The rear bumper sensor also needs to "see" your approach to the vehicle...its a two-part process. Maybe if you just stand at the rear for an extended period of time you are not satisfying the "approach" part of the little dance. Chanting "hokey pokey" at the top of your lungs also helps.

The rear bumper sensor also needs to "see" your approach to the vehicle...its a two-part process. Maybe if you just stand at the rear for an extended period of time you are not satisfying the "approach" part of the little dance. Chanting "hokey pokey" at the top of your lungs also helps.

The bumper sensor does not have to "see your approach" and you don't need to wait to open the tail gate. In order to activate the hands free lift gate the key fob must be within 3 feet of the sensor and the top and bottom sensor must detect motion at the same time. It can be a kicking motion as long as your leg is centered on both sensors, or a side to side sweeping motion. haywire52, if neither of these techniques work on a consistant basis, I'd have your dealership check it out.

Finally, the hokey pokey comment is not helpful to the OP's question or concern.

I've had 3 people kick the underside of my Escape trying to see the Tailgate open. On a side note it does seem hit or miss, the other day my friend wanted to see how it works and it literally took 6 swipes to open, couldn't say much.

*edit* I just looked at the .pdf, maybe I've been explaining to people how it works wrong, I'll have to try that.

Edited by howie411

Following the video instructions still only gives me a 1 in 4 shot that it opens. Also, many times grabinging the door handle will not unlock the doors with out multiple attempts.

Maybe it's me, who knows..........

That means the vehicle is having problems sensing the IA fob. Has nothing to do with the rear hatch or the leg-waving procedure. Can you try another IA fob?

Takes a little getting used-to, and remember there's a second-or-so delay after you kick. Try to imagine your toe reaching the bottom-underneath edge of the rear bumper, right in the middle - just stick (kick) your foot in, then stand a step or two back. You'll get it. Mine works every time.

When "grabbing" the door handle, remember you're trying to touch the backside of the door handle - you're NOT pulling to open the door handle. And make sure your thumb doesn't touch the front-of-handle black lock pad. Touch to unlock, let it unlock, then pull to open. (3 steps)

Unlocking and opening the door is a TWO THREE step process and while it's short, you have to give the system time to unlock before you pull the handle.

Hope this helps. :shades:

Edited by PajamaGuy